Operation Barbarossa - Help finding the Planning Documents and Orders

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
rays

Operation Barbarossa - Help finding the Planning Documents and Orders

Post by rays » 11 Sep 2015, 17:00

Hello,

While I have been easily able to find "Directive 21" for Operation Barbarossa, does anyone know if, or more accurately, where the documents issued by OKH providing direction concerning Operation Barbarossa are located?

Ideally I would like to find the documents in English, but I would take German as well. My objective is to study and understand how “Directive 21” was understood and put into action first at OKH, then the Army Group level, and finally the armies.

I would also gladly accept any links to the:

1. Marcks’ Plan;
2. Lossberg Study;
3. Paulus Study; and
4. Halder Plan.

Thank you,

-AR-

Mangrove

Re: Operation Barbarossa - Help finding the Planning Documents and Orders

Post by Mangrove » 10 Oct 2015, 18:13

rays wrote: While I have been easily able to find "Directive 21" for Operation Barbarossa, does anyone know if, or more accurately, where the documents issued by OKH providing direction concerning Operation Barbarossa are located?
http://wwii.germandocsinrussia.org - Akte 59. Weisungen und Anordnungen für die Vorbereitung des Unternehmens "Barbarossa"

skaut_ss

Post by skaut_ss » 11 Feb 2016, 01:44

Hello!I am also looking for materials to plan the invasion of Nazi Germany to the USSR "Barbarossa". In my search I ran into a problem. To date there is no solid plan with all the documents in their original form. In different archives and the sources of individual documents, but there is no overall plan. My goal is to find a complete set of the plan, which consists of a large number of documents, maps, charts, graphs, and text information. Maybe you have information on this subject?

(Sorry for my english hope you understand me)

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 12 Feb 2016, 11:24

There are literally 1000s of documents dealing with the implementation of Operation Barbarossa. There should be a final operational plan for each army that participated in Barbarossa (I have seen the plan for the German 11th Army), just like there should be a plan for each army group, corps and division that was to participate. You should find them in the Anlagenband that covers May and June 1941* for whatever unit you are interested in. After you find the operational plan you will need to scan the documents until 21 June 1941 to find any additions or changes that were made to it. Note that almost all the documents from May and June 1941 will deal with the preparations for Operation Barbarossa in some way.

* look at the NARA catalogs for the material and after a unit Kriegstagebuch that covers May and June 1941 should be listed the Anlagenband. It is not that uncommon for one of the folders to be marked 'Operation Barbarossa'.

skaut_ss

Post by skaut_ss » 12 Feb 2016, 18:05

Thank you !

I looked at the link, once again there is confirmation of the fact that the information is very fragmented. If you try to collect all as you say on each army group or participating in an operation that will take a very long time.

I want to start with the actual operation of the original documents is "Barbarosa" - the main document that defines the conceptual task for all participants. That link you suggested this is a derivative of the conceptual plan - ie the narrow task-specific groups.

The very concept plan "Operation Barbarossa" to date have not. Russian archives he also presented fragments. Whole plan is not - it does not exist !!! I assume that this was done deliberately !!! Concept "Barbarossa" plan consists of teskstovoy parts, maps, charts, graphs, calculations, and so on. Actually I'm looking at the moment is the graphical part of the conceptual plan - it maps, charts, graphs, and more. Some card transactions I found. I can not find a map relating to overcoming Stalin and Molotov line.

... In any case, thank you for providing the link
If you will have more information on this topic I ask you to let me know about it ... especially with regard to maps and graphics

skaut_ss

Post by skaut_ss » 12 Feb 2016, 18:07

about NARA could you clarify exactly where to look (poskazhite link) ... Thanks

skaut_ss

Post by skaut_ss » 12 Feb 2016, 18:07

about NARA could you clarify exactly where to look (prompt the link) ... Thanks

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 12 Feb 2016, 18:36

I was more thinking go to Map Archive pick a unit you like and look through the listing.

Example: AOK 17 on the page marked '136' at the top

the first item on the list:

Ia, Kriegstagebuch Nr. 1, 1 May - 12 December 1941. Note the KTB will not give you the information you want but might give references to interesting material.

3rd item on the list:

Ia, Anlagen 2 z KTB Nr.1, Operationsakten (Barbarossa), Grundsatzlich befehle aus Vorbereitungszeit, 02 Feb-20 Jun 1941

that sounds to me about just what you want

most of the other armies and Panzer groups should be just as easy to find material.

Now just ask and see if anyone has and is willing to share with you. For the 17th Army is appears you want T312 R668 and R669.

skaut_ss

Post by skaut_ss » 13 Feb 2016, 21:07

I would be very grateful if you share with me these materials.

Return to “Archives”