Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

Felix Steiner's aftershave

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories.
Hosted by Vikki.

Felix Steiner's aftershave

Postby PiretBCN on 03 Feb 2013 00:42

Léon Degrelle writes in his book that every time he met Felix Steiner, Steiner was in a good mood and well perfumed. Does anyone know which fragrance/aftershave Steiner used? Is it still being made?

Which fragrances were popular back then among senior officers? Are some of these fragrances still available and popular?
PiretBCN
Spain

Re: Felix Steiner's aftershave

Postby Ian Hulley on 03 Feb 2013 01:27

*sighs*
Ian Hulley
United Kingdom

Postby Richie B on 03 Feb 2013 10:12

Hugo Boss perhaps ?
Richie B
Financial supporter
United Kingdom

Postby PiretBCN on 03 Feb 2013 10:58

Hugo Boss already had a fragrance during WW2? I wasn't aware of that.
PiretBCN
Spain

Postby tolhurst on 03 Feb 2013 20:17

PiretBCN wrote:Léon Degrelle writes in his book that every time he met Felix Steiner, Steiner was in a good mood and well perfumed. Does anyone know which fragrance/aftershave Steiner used? Is it still being made?

Which fragrances were popular back then among senior officers? Are some of these fragrances still available and popular?

Hello!

I quote from Len Deighton's novel SS-GB (1978) set after a fictional successful German invasion of the UK: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 2k&cad=rja (p6)
Kellerman leaned over to light the cigar. Douglas was not yet used to the way that the German officers put Cologne on their faces after shaving, and the perfume surprised him.

Deighton was born in 1929 and did his National Service with the RAF in the late 1940s, so I am not sure what experience he might have based this comment on.

I know that German men old enough to have fought in the war retained a fondness for the leading brand of "Eau de Cologne", (Kölnisch Wasser) 4711 which is still very widely available - http://www.4711.com/index.php/en/ ,

This may be the fragrance which Steiner used.
tolhurst
United Kingdom

Postby PiretBCN on 03 Feb 2013 21:20

I will buy a bottle of 4711 immediately.
PiretBCN
Spain

Postby Mark in Cleveland, Tn. on 04 Feb 2013 02:13

Come on fellow AHF member..after shave???
Maybe he was passing gas!!!!
Mark in Cleveland, Tn.
United States

Postby Frech on 04 Feb 2013 06:23

4711 was and is used by grannys. I don´t think Steiner did ....
Frech
Austria

Postby PiretBCN on 04 Feb 2013 11:36

Frech, what do you think he used?
PiretBCN
Spain

Postby tolhurst on 04 Feb 2013 13:32

Frech wrote:4711 was and is used by grannys. I don´t think Steiner did ....
It's a classic unisex perfume and your reaction suggests what age of person now might go for it. Men certainly use it, especially those old enough to have served in the war were using it in their older years.

Today, it is maybe seen in Germany (EDIT and Austria) a little like "Old Spice" might be seen in the UK by the grandchildren of those who were young men in the 1950s and 1960s.

Or is there better evidence of what a German officer, or even Steiner himself, would have preferred?
tolhurst
United Kingdom

Postby Harro on 04 Feb 2013 13:51

Does anybody know which brand of dog food Steiner gave his dog? I'm also quite keen to learn where he bought his nail clippers.
Harro
Netherlands

Postby Marcus Wendel on 04 Feb 2013 14:12

The question about which aftershaves were popular in Germany during this era is valid so please keep the discussion focused on that.

/Marcus
Marcus Wendel
Forum Staff
Sweden

Postby PiretBCN on 04 Feb 2013 14:17

Harro wrote:Does anybody know which brand of dog food Steiner gave his dog? I'm also quite keen to learn where he bought his nail clippers.

I understand your sarcasm. However, these tiny details interest me a lot because they give colour to those difficult and brutal times. Should I apologise for my interests? Okay, that was sarcastic as well.
I didn't know Steiner had a dog. I suppose if he had one, it got normal human food and leftovers like all dogs at those times. So the question about the brand of dog food doesn't make any sense. Nail clippers? I suppose in those days people mostly used small scissors. I grew up in Estonia during the Soviet occupation and we had no dog food and no nail clippers.
PiretBCN
Spain

Postby PiretBCN on 04 Feb 2013 14:20

Marcus Wendel wrote:The question about which aftershaves were popular in Germany during this era is valid so please keep the discussion focused on that.

/Marcus

Yes, I also think it's a valid and serious question. It got mentioned in Degrelle's book (the book was about military matters). So I think it's really interesting to know what type of fragrances were preferred by the German officers. Bitter? Fruity? Flowery?
PiretBCN
Spain

Postby Harro on 04 Feb 2013 15:00

PiretBCN wrote:I grew up in Estonia during the Soviet occupation and we had no dog food and no nail clippers.

I'd say there was a big difference between being a senior SS officer in the Third Reich or being a teenager in Estonia. Commercial dog food was available in Germany at least from the beginning of the 20th century. Never seen the famous poster Ludwig Hohlwein made for Wulco Hundefutter in 1914? But offcourse there were numerous brands so it is quite difficult to determin which Steiner gave his dog

Harro
Netherlands

Next

Return to Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic