LAH epaulet badge color question

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Old Ranger

LAH epaulet badge color question

Post by Old Ranger » 10 Feb 2016, 22:50

Have a Dot 44 panzer tunic that I am setting up for a Normandy display for a small museum in Texas. I want to set it up as a SS-Hauptsturmführer from the LAH. My question is what color LAH epaulet badge is appropriate? I understand that gold is for officers, but they may have used silver late in the war.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: LAH epaulet badge color question

Post by John G. » 11 Feb 2016, 20:58

Since you're "setting up" a museum display it really doesn't matter- Gold, silver, alum., or pot metal gray would all be possible- especially on a Camo. uniform since shoulder boards were forbidden by regulations (not always observed, of course!) and you're talking latewar when everything available was used. Gold was changed to silver for officers during the war, with whitemetal for NCXOs... but midwar everything became "gray" (or lost it's finish)... most wore what they had.

Is this a 4 pocket "dot Camo." or a Panzer-cut "Dot Camo." tunic?... (Original or repro.?)..... just curious.
John G.

Old Ranger

Re: LAH epaulet badge color question

Post by Old Ranger » 12 Feb 2016, 00:34

John,
Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

It is a panzer cut dot camo. We bought it at the auction for the movie Fury, and I thought is was a four pocket. Was going to use the four pocket for a mannequin to display with our pak 40 and 251. Then, I noticed it was panzer cut and thought about doing something similar to the pics of Wittmann wearing one, but not trying to emulate him exactly for the display. BTW, we also picked up the uniform worn by Pena, the actor who was the Fury driver. This mannequin sits on our Easy Eight for now.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”