WW2 M43 Cap -Opinions Please

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Porcelain44

WW2 M43 Cap -Opinions Please

Post by Porcelain44 » 02 May 2016, 01:31

I just picked up this cap from a picker in western NY. Can you help me authenticate it? It appears to have all the right characteristics (though I don't see a size stamp inside -could be too faint perhaps). Has the initials WM inked inside. You can see the effects of the sun/fading between the inner part of the flap and the rest of the cap. There are also some stains (inside and out). Would like to think it is not blood. The pebble grain buttons have traces of field grey paint. The cap lies flat and the bill is bent in the middle which is due, I imagine, to the cap lying flat inside the GI's kitbag or trunk for many years? What do you think? May have to upload pics in two separate messages, if too large for one. It definitely has a salty look, feel and smell, but would love to get the opinions of my forum friends. Thanks!

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: WW2 M43 Cap -Opinions Please

Post by John G. » 02 May 2016, 13:01

Looks o.k. as far as originality goes (but not easy to be 100% sure as many excellent copies exist).... crease is typical for a used cap, helps with vision and shade and looks more jaunty. Looks like a nice example. Congrads!
John G.

Porcelain44

Post by Porcelain44 » 02 May 2016, 13:31

Here is another shot of the interior

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 02 May 2016, 13:43

I like it....those stains look like blood stains to me.... but don't hurt it one bite! Original well worn caps are the most desired types IMO.
John G.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”