Urgent Allgemeine-SS Question!

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Deutsch-Bär

Urgent Allgemeine-SS Question!

Post by Deutsch-Bär » 25 Oct 2016, 03:18

Okay.. Maybe not that urgent, but it's urgent to me.
Right, so I'm awfully interested in purchasing an Allgemeine-SS Uniform (reproduction) and I want to make sure it's as accurate as possible.
Lil' bit of backstory, so I was in the process of looking at a black SS officer's cap and I could only assume the Allgemeine-SS wore those.. But apparently they DID wear that cap but with a different eagle.
>Eagle for reference
>Cap with eagle for reference

So, my ultimate question is.. Is the cap above correct with the correct eagle? Or is the one under this sentence the correct one? (It doesn't have a black Hakenkreuz.)

Thanks a lot for the help, if you can indeed contribute!
~Rus

Mark Costa

Re: Urgent Allgemeine-SS Question!

Post by Mark Costa » 25 Oct 2016, 04:34

Both visors are correct. The first cap with the smaller eagle is an early version of the SS officer's visor cap. Note also the differences in the skulls. The skull was changed in late 1934 and the new larger eagle was introduced in early 1936. So both would be correct depending on the year that you wish represent.

Mark Costa

Deutsch-Bär

Post by Deutsch-Bär » 25 Oct 2016, 05:17

Mark Costa wrote:Both visors are correct. The first cap with the smaller eagle is an early version of the SS officer's visor cap. Note also the differences in the skulls. The skull was changed in late 1934 and the new larger eagle was introduced in early 1936. So both would be correct depending on the year that you wish represent.

Mark Costa
I would've never guessed! Thank you so much, Mark. Do you happen to know a handful about the Allgemeine-SS because I have one more question that pertains to uniforms that you may be able to answer.
~Rus

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 25 Oct 2016, 16:46

I will try to help any way I can and yes I do know a lot about Allegemeine SS uniforms.

MArk

Deutsch-Bär

Post by Deutsch-Bär » 26 Oct 2016, 02:11

Mark Costa wrote:I will try to help any way I can and yes I do know a lot about Allegemeine SS uniforms.

MArk
Thank you, Mark.. Alright, so I'm aware that the Allgemeine-SS weren't really ever in direct combat or anything.. So what were common awards of the Allgemeine-SS? Also, what was the role of the "Reichsführung-SS" division - was it specifically higher ranked people such as SS Generals?
~Rus

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 27 Oct 2016, 01:20

Your question regarding awards is very difficult to answer as it would depend on the person. In addition to any WWI awards, one might find a Golden party badge, a Blood Order, possibly some HJ qualification badges, Gau badges etc.

The Reichsfuhrung SS sleeve band was introduced in 1939 and supposed to be a replacement for the earlier "RFSS" sleeve band. It was supposed to be worn by members of Himmler's staff and the staffs of the SS Main Offices. But of course the main offices had their own sleeve bands so it is very confusing as to who was originally supposed to wear this sleeve band. Many second tier Honorary Generals were allowed to wear this band and were "assigned" to the staff of Himmler.

Hope this helps.

Mark Costa

Deutsch-Bär

Post by Deutsch-Bär » 28 Oct 2016, 03:56

Mark Costa wrote:Your question regarding awards is very difficult to answer as it would depend on the person. In addition to any WWI awards, one might find a Golden party badge, a Blood Order, possibly some HJ qualification badges, Gau badges etc.

The Reichsfuhrung SS sleeve band was introduced in 1939 and supposed to be a replacement for the earlier "RFSS" sleeve band. It was supposed to be worn by members of Himmler's staff and the staffs of the SS Main Offices. But of course the main offices had their own sleeve bands so it is very confusing as to who was originally supposed to wear this sleeve band. Many second tier Honorary Generals were allowed to wear this band and were "assigned" to the staff of Himmler.

Hope this helps.

Mark Costa
Jeez, thank you so much Mark. I'm absolutely jealous by your knowledge, I one-hundred percent wish I could know as much as you do! Alright so my last and final question - with some backstory. As I mentioned before, I plan on buying an Allgemeine-SS uniform (the rank of Sturmbannführer to be exact, just because I like the way it sounds and looks), so what do you think would be a "reasonable" or common cuff title for an Allgemeine-SS officer?
~Rus

Josias

Post by Josias » 28 Oct 2016, 08:02

I did worked on those "Schwarz SS" things when I was young as lad, I can answer some of those(You got lucky I don't happen by easily here damm!)
You shouldn't call it 'Allgemeine-SS' in inter war period every SS worn that black 'Dienstrock' including SS-VT, RFSS so on..
The real Allgemeine-SS has number of regiment of their collar tab(Kragenspiegel), It is hard to find repros but there are some of them out there.
So black SS are more proper term, and I wouldn't recommend buying black uniforms there are no good repro at all, on the other hand pretty much useless especially if you live in Germany, believe me I did these before there was nothing to do with it except just hanging on the wall.
If you really want to do I can direct you some shops, there are lot of things to consider about settings if you are buying those items.

Best regards.
Sometimes a guy needs something to rely on.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”