SS M32 collar neck differences ???

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
ciaociao

SS M32 collar neck differences ???

Post by ciaociao » 23 Feb 2017, 00:32

Here two original SS m32. Left the standard version collar - right a wider version of the collar
The question is: anyone could explain why these two collar neck are different?
16923799_1293802994029285_232977347_n.jpg

von thoma

Re: SS M32 collar neck differences ???

Post by von thoma » 23 Feb 2017, 05:49

The question is: anyone could explain why these two collar neck are different?

The picture shows tunics for SS NCOs and SS Officers ;

At left, a SS-Unterscharführer under October 1934 regulations, black and white ( light grey silk/aluminium ) twisted cord in collar and patches, during May 1933 to Sept 1934, the old SS-Scharführer rank, it had a full cord along the patch.

At right, a SS-Untersturmführer, officers collar patch in aluminium cord, and under Oct 1934 regulations, collar cord in aluminium
for SS-Untersturmführer and above.
SS-VT.jpg
A picture showing the SS collar cord, prior October 1934 regulation.
Feldherrnhalle.jpg
The coexistence of both collar cord, is evident in this picture.

Photo: Unknown Source and -https://picasaweb.google.com/
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

ciaociao

Post by ciaociao » 25 Feb 2017, 09:00

My bad, I didn't explain the question very well. I was talking about the space between the two parts of the collar (that form a wider angle on the right one). Why so different from the standard version? It's a little detail I noticed only in few uniform and got me curious.
Thank you anyway for last information :milwink:
20170225_065158.jpg

jason Macfergus

Post by jason Macfergus » 25 Feb 2017, 09:54

Those are known as "Lapels" (i think, assuming you're referring to the part below the collar that is folded back that doesn't contain the silver or silver/black twist cords)
The first picture looks like a standard pre-war SS m32 tunic, though I've yet to come across any tunics that look like the second one, with the shorter lapels. The second one appears to have a thin shoulder board, much like the ones used by the Waffen-SS, though I could be wrong. By the way, where'd you get the pictures from?

Edit: I've just realised those aren't Waffen-SS shoulderboards after looking at the photos taken from different angles on the link provided below
Last edited by jason Macfergus on 25 Feb 2017, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.
"In a man to man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine." -Rommel

ciaociao

Post by ciaociao » 25 Feb 2017, 10:49

jason Macfergus wrote:Those are known as "Lapels" (i think, assuming you're referring to the part below the collar that is folded back that doesn't contain the silver or silver/black twist cords)
Right, I'm referring to the space between collar and Lapel that is much wider on the second tunic.
The one on the right comes from craig gottlieb collection: http://www.craiggottlieb.com/engine/ins ... er=Archive

But the same detail (the wider space between the two parts of the collar) appears in another m32 from Antonio Scapini:
http://www.militariatedesca.it/Jooml...emart&Itemid=3

jason Macfergus

Post by jason Macfergus » 25 Feb 2017, 11:24

The second link doesn't work for me.

As for the one on the right, it's supposed to be an SD tunic from 1934-1935, according to the webpage.

It could be an M35 tunic, as the lapel sort of matches the M35 Luftwaffe tunic, though I'm have no idea if they made M35s for the SD.

Does anyone know if they had a black version of the M35 that was issued to the SD?
"In a man to man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine." -Rommel

jason Macfergus

Post by jason Macfergus » 25 Feb 2017, 11:51

Based on the pictures on the links you posted, I think these may be some variation of the M35 with scalloped pockets, but I'm just speculating based on the design similarities of the lapels from the pictures and the lapels of the Luftwaffe M35 tunics. Not sure if they did have such versions of the M35 back then.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”