MajGen's Tunic

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Dieter

Post by Dieter » 06 Oct 2007, 20:45

This is one of those times when I absolutly LOVE to have been proven wrong; CONGRATULATIONS!

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 07 Oct 2007, 03:58

NY Marine & CharlieB,
The Silver Star, engraved for St. Vith Belquim Dec. 1944 is fantastic.....and the lot of German insignia is pretty nice too.
The SS Collar tab (3 oak leafs on blk.) is for a SS Gruppenfuhrer (Generals rank), the bullion eagle is a SS Officers sleeve eagle, and the pair of shoulder boards along the bottom are Army General's. The 3 tabs with winged wheels & the gold cloth eagle are Railroad, the Green tab is Luftw. Admin. 1st Lt., the eagle with cresent is "Silesian Eagle 2nd Cl.," the pointy winged eagle an early political "M29" Cap eagle, and the two miniture 1939 Clasps for ribbon bars, and the 1918 Black Wound Badge.
The SS stuff is especially scarce, as are the Genral's boards....the rest more typical....keep digging. WOW AGAIN!
John G.
PS- Note that the Silver Star is a "Split wrap broach"-type. Early manurfacture and scarce in it's own right....is it numbered on edge?

William Kramer

Post by William Kramer » 07 Oct 2007, 10:07

Hello again,

Well General's shoulder boards, prinzen size spanges, and an Officer's eagle of the SS.

Suberb to say the least.

William Kramer

NY Marine

Post by NY Marine » 07 Oct 2007, 22:07

Ahhh yes, the Silver Star does have a 5 digit number on the bottom edge. The family never noticed that, thanks.

John G.

Post by John G. » 08 Oct 2007, 17:12

As we say here in Maine...."Pisser of a lot". "Kaint get any better than this, Ahaaa".......(not unless "you just bought this group at a yard sale from a little old lady".......) (just kidding,......NOT)

Probably one of the finest WW 2 Silver Stars I've had the previlege to see.....must have been a very special award....like to know the story of what he received it for.....St Vith Dec. 1944 certianly gives us a clue (and starting point...) Most Silver Stars were awarded unengraved and were the more typical "slot-broach" type (same award but very modest value.....). Can I say "WOW" once more....
John G.

NY Marine

Post by NY Marine » 08 Oct 2007, 17:41

I'd love to connect with someone from the 168th Engineer Combat Bn to find out more about this soldiers actions during WWII. The family has the original citation. It reads:

During the period 17 December to 22 December 1944, the 168th Engineer Combat Battalion was committed to action as infantry to assist in the defense of St Vith, Belgium. During this time, Lieutenant XXXXXXX served as liaison officer between his battalion and the 38th Armored Infantry Battalion. On numerous occasions he carried messages between the command post and the front lines, braving heavy enemy artillery and small arms fire. On several occasions, displaying outstanding initiative and exemplary leadership abilities, he helped to reorganize and consolidate the defending lines when they gave under enemy pressure. Lieutenant XXXXXXX’s accomplishment, personal bravery and loyal devotion to duty reflect the greatest credit upon himself and the military forces of the United States.

William Kramer

Re:

Post by William Kramer » 27 Aug 2010, 00:22

NY Marine wrote:I'd love to connect with someone from the 168th Engineer Combat Bn to find out more about this soldiers actions during WWII. The family has the original citation. It reads:

During the period 17 December to 22 December 1944, the 168th Engineer Combat Battalion was committed to action as infantry to assist in the defense of St Vith, Belgium. During this time, Lieutenant XXXXXXX served as liaison officer between his battalion and the 38th Armored Infantry Battalion. On numerous occasions he carried messages between the command post and the front lines, braving heavy enemy artillery and small arms fire. On several occasions, displaying outstanding initiative and exemplary leadership abilities, he helped to reorganize and consolidate the defending lines when they gave under enemy pressure. Lieutenant XXXXXXX’s accomplishment, personal bravery and loyal devotion to duty reflect the greatest credit upon himself and the military forces of the United States.
Was he a direct family member or what?

William Kramer

new2this

Re: MajGen's Tunic

Post by new2this » 06 Sep 2010, 03:21

This is the first time I have ever seen this thread. Congrats to you on your tunic and other items. Wow indeed.

William Kramer

Post by William Kramer » 29 Nov 2011, 05:44

new2this wrote:This is the first time I have ever seen this thread. Congrats to you on your tunic and other items. Wow indeed.
I agree, and we're still waiting to see additional photos if the owner can provide some!

William Kramer

John G.

Post by John G. » 29 Nov 2011, 14:58

This is still my "favorite" thread, I think....and probably my "best" job of detective work....(and what super stuff! I wonder where and what happened to it all?.....) Sure wish they'd come into my "Flea Market"......and wanted to sell!
Really once in a lifetime discovery!
John G.

William Kramer

Post by William Kramer » 01 May 2015, 17:33

yeah too bad this thread was forgotten.

William Kramer

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”