Hugo Boss

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
SeaofJapan

Hugo Boss

Post by SeaofJapan » 23 Apr 2008, 23:51

Hello

I saw that there were a thread about the uniform designer, but the links in it didnt work and it was 6 years old.

I am wondering if anyone have a picture of the designer Hugo Boss. The man who owned the company Hugo Boss AG which produced the SS uniforms. Ofcourse todays company Hugo Boss has almost nothing to do with the old company.

Source: http://americandefenseleague.com/hilknow1.htm , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Boss_AG

"The all-black uniform of the Nazi Schutzstaffel paramilitary force from 1932 until 1945 was designed by SS-Oberführer Prof. Dr. Karl Diebitsch and Walter Heck (graphic designer) and made by the Hugo Boss company, some workers being prisoners of war forced into labor." Wikipedia

If you got any more information please dont hesitate to write here!

A few other questions

Is it true Boss did the KZ pyjamas?
Were there a logo for Hugo Boss AG?
Did the company mark their products any way?

If any german speaking could read this article and maybe see if there were more information! http://www.metzingen-zwangsarbeit.de/Ko ... _boss.html

// Hugo

Ian Hulley

Re: Hugo Boss

Post by Ian Hulley » 24 Apr 2008, 15:33

I can't answer your questions directly however these alledged circumstances need putting into context :-

Many (if not most) wartime German companies used some slave labour and/or KL inmates to a greater or lesser extent to cover for their regular workforce who were conscripted to the Wehrmacht, RAD or Waffen-SS. Some even had their own Aussenlager or 'Sub-Camp' as depicted in Schindler's List (a sub-camp of the Plaszow Camp), complete with supervisors and SS guards.

To single out H.Boss for any other than research purposes would be to ignore the historical truth, also bear in mind that the worker's treatment was to a large extent in the hands of the Kapos and SS guards rather than the factory owners ... which is what makes Oskar Schindler so unique in his intervention on 'his Jews' behalf.

Cheers, Ian.

SeaofJapan

Post by SeaofJapan » 24 Apr 2008, 18:34

Ian Hulley wrote:
Ian.
I hope i understood what you meant by single out.

Ofcourse, i dont see Hugo Boss as a Nazi leader preciously, he was just like all the other company owners in Germany (like you said)

Allthough my real name is Hugo i am just curious about the brands TR history and i believe i stand almost 100% neutral to this subject.Its not like i wear Boss because of the companys history, today Company is not german owned and got a revival in the early 80s with their suits.

The article that i linked said that the company before the 30s was almost bankrupted. Neither did Boss design the uniforms his company just produced them.

But its just one of thouse things you hear "uh did you know Hugo Boss made the SS uniforms" and thats about it, i don`t find any more information than that. There must be more information to find.

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 25 Apr 2008, 00:17

Good luck with your research.

Cheers, Ian.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”