TeNo HOME BASE Cloth-Metal-Uniform-Documents et al

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
dblmed

Meaning of: TeNo Einsatzgruppe - Truppen - Abteilung

Post by dblmed » 28 Apr 2010, 12:49

The "Meaning" of: TeNo Einsatzgruppe - Einsatztruppen - Einsatzabteilung

The various terms of TeNo • TN "Einsatzgruppe" or "Einsatztruppen" or "Einsatzabteilung" referred to the 'special USE' of 'deployment of' the Technically Skilled TeNo Men. (As far, as is known, the TN were NOT a part of the other "Einsatz-" the Polizei und SS Einsatzgruppen, involved in the Poland & OST extermination programs.)

(A) The vast majority of the "TN Einsatztruppen" were mustered into the HEER, starting in 1941, forming the famous (amongst TR Historians!) Technische Truppen, led by the former TN Stellv. Chef, Erich Hampe. (However, as you will read in Hugh Taylors' documentation in "Police, Vol. 2" - there were also a number of TN Groups, under the command of the RATN (Reichsamt Technische Nothilfe) who saw service, independent of, but along side of, the other Branches, outside of the Reich. (All TN Units were ultimately under Polizei 'Control' / Himmler's Control.) There were still TN Independent Units functioning in 1945, surprisingly!

(B) A significant number of the "TN Einsatztruppen" were mustered into the LUFTWAFFE, where they performed Technical jobs, beyond the usual skill of Luft Men (IMO). They have been seen as the men who maintained & assured Power (Electricity) for Air Fields and Search Lights - Water Supply - Field Hospital Vital Services - Paving or Smoothing, some of the LUFT Air Plane Runways - and many other services - as has been noted previously.

(C) And a very, very few of the "TN Einsatztruppen" were mustered into the KRIEGSMARINE [or served with it], as some of the TN men had special Diving Training, from the TN Reichsschule - Dresden, as well as other skills that the Navy could use. FEW records of the Navy use of the TN have yet been found, however.

ATTACHED is a Collage that I made of the TN in Kriegsmarine Service - which shows the same scene - LT. in B&W (S&W) Foto - and RIGHT - a Post Card of the Same Event. Phil Nix / Georges Jerome state the the TN men were receiving the EK2 from a naval Kapitan-zur-See & Harbor Commandant. (Unfortunately, we do NOT know where this event took place - but it was by some Waterway!)

a) I Used a Foto from NIX / Georges Jerome's "Uniformed Police" [with permission] Page 99 - and
b) I Used a quite rare TN Post Card, issued by the TN HQ printer, Räder - Verlag, and bearing the TN 'Eagle Logo' on the Reverse, by an Artist - THOMAS (it looks like?) - which "captures" the same event. Thus, it must have been important. [If anyone has information about the Artist, I would enjoy learning about him.]

"IF" you haven't purchased a copy of the NIX / Georges Jerome's "Uniformed Police", you are missing out on Great Polizei Information, Biographies, Order of Battle, and a nice section on the TN. .... Txs, Dave/dblmed
Attachments
TN Kriegsmarine.jpg
TeNo in Kriegsmarine Service - Awarding of EK2's by a Kapitan-zur-See & Harbor Commandant
TN Kriegsmarine.jpg (54.03 KiB) Viewed 19399 times

dblmed

TeNo Kommandos, prior to TeNo Einsatzgruppen

Post by dblmed » 28 Apr 2010, 13:03

TeNo Kommandos, prior to TeNo Einsatzgruppen

The term "TeNo or TN Kommandos" was use prior to that of "TeNo einsatzgruppe or einsatztruppen" - referring to the Special Purpose TN Groups. This was historically the case for the use of TN 'Special Groups' - TN Kommandos, in:
• The repatriation of the Saar in 1935, and
• The Austrian 'Occupation' - and
• The Occupation of the Sudatenland, in 1938, and
• Poland, in 1939....

The 'TN Kommando' Term seems to have also been used in the text of this July, 1940, Magazine Article - referring to the work being done by the TN, following the Invasion im Westen.

Of interest, is that the TN men are shown (from LEFT to RIGHT, Clockwise Direction):
a) Restoration of an Electrical Power Station / the Electrical Grid.
b) Bridge Rebuilding + Removal of Debris
c) Removal of Debris + Bridge Rebuilding
d) Restoration of Drinking Water Supply
e) Removal of Debris + Bridge Rebuilding + Repair of the Infrastructure
f) Diving - for Salvage, Repair, and Restoration of Vital Waterways.

Since the TN was used "beim Einsatz" - it seems then, that the word, "Einsatztruppen" would naturally follow [& it did.]
Attachments
TN Einsatz beim Westen.jpg
TN Kommandos - the Technische Nothilfe beim Einsatz im Westen - 1940
TN Einsatz beim Westen.jpg (41.37 KiB) Viewed 19399 times

dblmed

DD Polizei Taschenbuch für die Technische Nothilfe - 1

Post by dblmed » 28 Apr 2010, 13:09

Die Deutsche Polizei Taschenbuch für die Technische Nothilfe - 1942

The DDP Taschenbucher provide invaluable information about the TN - Technische Nothilfe. [The difficulty is in locating this handbooks!]
Attachments
DDP-TN 1942.JPG
Die Deutsche Polizei Taschenbuch für die Technische Nothilfe - 1942
DDP-TN 1942.JPG (56.38 KiB) Viewed 19399 times

dblmed

DDP Taschenbuch für die Technische Nothilfe - 1945

Post by dblmed » 28 Apr 2010, 13:11

Die Deutsche Polize Taschenbuch für die Technische Nothilfe - 1945

The 1945 Die Deutsche Polizei Taschenbuch für die Technische Nothilfe is printed on fairly coarse paper & reflects the impening Kriegsend in its construction. But, the information gained from this late date publication, is invaluable.
Attachments
DDP-TN 1945.JPG
Die Deutsche Polizei Taschenbuch für die Technische Nothilfe - 1945
DDP-TN 1945.JPG (56.57 KiB) Viewed 19398 times

dblmed

TeNo Marching Post Card by Döbrich Stegliz - 1

Post by dblmed » 28 Apr 2010, 13:15

There were a large number of TeNo TR Post Cards Issued in various series, by the TN HQ - the RATN in Berlin. They usually show TeNo at Work, Marching or with WHW Charity Efforts. They exhibit Very Stunning details and colors.

(These are Pre 1937, as the TeNo 'Diamond' Arm Logo is still the Sewn On Type, prior - to the Blue TeNo Triangle Eagle Patch)
Attachments
TeNo_Marching-1.jpg
TeNo_Marching-1.jpg (163.44 KiB) Viewed 19398 times

dblmed

TeNo Marching Post Card by Döbrich Stegliz - 2

Post by dblmed » 28 Apr 2010, 13:19

Here is another very attractive color Post Card by Döbrich Stegliz. Great for the study of TeNo details.

The only problem is that TeNo collectors have to compete with the Stamp & Post Card collectors for these beauties. [Those guys are tough Collectors!]
Attachments
TeNo_Marching-2.jpg
TeNo_Marching-2.jpg (126 KiB) Viewed 19398 times

dblmed

Die Deutsche Polizei Magazine - Announces TN Dagger

Post by dblmed » 28 Apr 2010, 13:21

Die Deutsche Polizei Magazine Announces the TN Dagger & Hauer - January, 1939 Issue

This is from the DDP - Die Deutsche Polizei Magazine, January, 1939, Nummer 1, 7. Jahrgang, Seite (Page) 26.

This issue announces the, then new & upcoming release of the TeNo Officer Dagger & NCO/EM Hewer.
Attachments
TN DDP-TeNo-Daggers-1W.jpg
Die Deutsche Polizei Magazine Announces the TN Dagger & Hauer - January, 1939 Issue
TN DDP-TeNo-Daggers-1W.jpg (85.89 KiB) Viewed 19398 times

dblmed

DDP Announces the TN Dagger & Hauer - # 2

Post by dblmed » 28 Apr 2010, 13:29

Die Deutsche Polizei Magazine Announces the TN Dagger & Hauer - January, 1939 Issue - # 2

Translation, is courtesy of my friend, ERNST-H at http://www.germanpolice.org .....:
Many Thanks to Ernst....

Here is somewhat of a translation of the TeNo dagger article:
"Technische Nothilfe wears sidearm (dagger. Members of the TN are, as the minister for internal affairs details in an order, given the honor of wearing a sidearm (leaders dagger or EM dagger (Hauer / Hewer) with their service dress under the following conditions: The sidearm is a part of the service dress of TN-leaders and emergency-helpers. Emergency-helpers in training (note: so not yet full member) do not wear the sidearm [i.e. Anwärter]. The sidearm may only be worn when the TN-leader or emergency-helper is wearing full and complete service dress.

The leaders sidearm is worn by all TN-Leaders from the rank of Kameradschaftsführer and up. The dagger (Hauer) is worn by all other leaders ranks and TN-helpers. The Landesführer and Ortsführer are urged to instruct their subordinate leaders and emergency helpers about the wearing of the sidearm to prevent them from making mistakes and presenting an un-soldierly appearance.."

Note: Of both Historical & Collector interest -
1. The TN Hauer/Hewer was NOT only an EM 'Dagger!'- as is noted in the TR Period Announcement / Regulation. [It was Both an EM & NCO Seitenwaffe.]

2. Note the outline of the 'Cog Wheels' in the Drawing, on the Hanger.
Collectors will appreciate that the "Final" model of the Hanger had a Metal Circular Band under the Cog Wheels - thus NOT leaving them exposed, as is shown in the early Period Drawing.
Attachments
TN DDP-TeNo-Daggers-2W.jpg
Die Deutsche Polizei Magazine Announces the TN Dagger & Hauer - January, 1939 Issue - 2
TN DDP-TeNo-Daggers-2W.jpg (94.27 KiB) Viewed 19398 times

Igor Karpov
Host - ABR sections

Re: TeNo HOME BASE Cloth-Metal-Uniform-Documents et al

Post by Igor Karpov » 28 Apr 2010, 15:50

So, please tell us, Dave, there will be any TeNo additions or corrections to the German Police Vol. 3 by Angolia & Taylor? :wink:

Regards,
Igor

dblmed

Any Additionl TeNo Coverage in "Police, Vol. 3"

Post by dblmed » 28 Apr 2010, 18:04

Any Additionl TeNo Coverage in "Police, Vol. 3"

Hi Igor,

The honest answer is that I don't know for sure, as Vol. 3 is still a couple of years away. The key decision makers will be the Authors, Angolia & Hugh Page Taylor - & Roger Bender, the Publisher.

We TeNo • TN Collectors are keeping in touch with them, and submitting new information & items, for their consideration for inclusion in the Appendix of Vol. 3. [Surprisingly, a lot of new information & items have surfaced since Vol. 2 was published. I sincerely hope that there will be room for the inclusion of at least 'some' of the most interesting & historically important 'new' TN finds.] Vol. 2 opened up so many new 'doors' of information, that I'm still rereading it & constantly learning more! Taylor's footnotes & the Appendices often have the 'pearls' of information, tucked into them.

My 2nd great interest area is the SCHUMA, and it will be covered in Vol. 3, so I'm very happy about that. It is another area in which a concise history is currently lacking; order of battle; uniforms & insignia by time frame; which Schuma / Schutzm. units came from which countries; what became of the Schuma units; and much more. If you have Schuma items or know other Collector friends who do - encourage them to submit Schuma items to Roger Bender.

The best way to help to get Great TR Reference Books, IMO, is to photo, scan & submit [at 300 dpi on CD's] all of our items [and the items of our Collector buddies to them]. Then, the really Great Authors take it from there.

A great new book was released in 2010, "Polizei Uniformen" by Dieter Deuster, and it is sensation for both the TN - & - the SCHUMA. It's in German only, but it is certainly worth adding to the reference Library & slowly translating it from the German. ... Best, ... Dave / dblmed

Igor Karpov
Host - ABR sections

Re: Any Additionl TeNo Coverage in "Police, Vol. 3"

Post by Igor Karpov » 29 Apr 2010, 08:45

dblmed wrote:Hi Igor,

The honest answer is that I don't know for sure, as Vol. 3 is still a couple of years away. The key decision makers will be the Authors, Angolia & Hugh Page Taylor - & Roger Bender, the Publisher.

We TeNo • TN Collectors are keeping in touch with them, and submitting new information & items, for their consideration for inclusion in the Appendix of Vol. 3. [Surprisingly, a lot of new information & items have surfaced since Vol. 2 was published. I sincerely hope that there will be room for the inclusion of at least 'some' of the most interesting & historically important 'new' TN finds.] Vol. 2 opened up so many new 'doors' of information, that I'm still rereading it & constantly learning more! Taylor's footnotes & the Appendices often have the 'pearls' of information, tucked into them.

My 2nd great interest area is the SCHUMA, and it will be covered in Vol. 3, so I'm very happy about that. It is another area in which a concise history is currently lacking; order of battle; uniforms & insignia by time frame; which Schuma / Schutzm. units came from which countries; what became of the Schuma units; and much more. If you have Schuma items or know other Collector friends who do - encourage them to submit Schuma items to Roger Bender.

The best way to help to get Great TR Reference Books, IMO, is to photo, scan & submit [at 300 dpi on CD's] all of our items [and the items of our Collector buddies to them]. Then, the really Great Authors take it from there.

A great new book was released in 2010, "Polizei Uniformen" by Dieter Deuster, and it is sensation for both the TN - & - the SCHUMA. It's in German only, but it is certainly worth adding to the reference Library & slowly translating it from the German. ... Best, ... Dave / dblmed
Hello, Dave,

Thank You for the detailed response! Yes, I'm aware of Dieter Deuster's book, saw the lot of paintings in it, very exhaustive.

Regards,
Igor

Martinski

Post by Martinski » 20 Jun 2010, 17:05

Hi you all!

Last month i brought a book back from Kiev (Ukraine) - it is written and published in Russian. Its title: "Entsiklopedia Simvolov III Reixa" (Encyclopedia of the Symbolsof the IIIrd Reich). The author is Oleg Kurilev and the book is published in 2009 in Moscow. The book has 886 pages, all in full color and very well done! The author covers ALL know branches of the Third Reich, even the lesser known ones.

It is the BEST encyclopedia I ever seen and believe me, I do own a huge library about the III Reich.

Pages 511 - 522 are devoted to the TeNo. I scanned these pages and will show some to the interested on this Forum.

If interested, just ask, I can mail them all if needed.

Regards - Martinski

Martinski

Post by Martinski » 20 Jun 2010, 17:16

Some TeNo pages of the "Entsiklopedia Simvolov III Reixa"

M
Attachments
TeNo - 521a.jpg
TeNo - 521a.jpg (63.17 KiB) Viewed 19368 times
TeNo - 519a.jpg
TeNo - 519a.jpg (44.7 KiB) Viewed 19368 times
TeNo - 517a.jpg
TeNo - 517a.jpg (61.92 KiB) Viewed 19368 times

dblmed

Outstanding Book with TeNo Information(!)

Post by dblmed » 20 Jun 2010, 23:55

RE: Outstanding Book with TeNo Information(!)

Hi Martiniski !

Thanks for Sharing 3 pages of the quite Outstanding coverage of the TeNo, in the Russian book !
The colors & the drawings are superb. The author really did some great research & put a lot of
time & effort into this reference book.

I'm not aware of the CARMINE / RED Collar Tabs [presumably for Officers assigned to the RATN-Berlin] -but
there is still plenty to learn about the TeNo. It would be fascinating to review the Author's source of his
information.

Of note is that -
• TN Officers & NCO's/EM did use a CARMINE color underlay, unterlagen, for their shoulder boards - when assigned to the RATN.
• The actual RED was only assigned to the Musicians, per the period TN literature
which I have studied.
• The CORNFLOWER BLUE was assigned to Medical Officers and men.

How Expensive is this Book? .... Txs, ... Dave / dblmed

Igor Karpov
Host - ABR sections

Re: Outstanding Book with TeNo Information(!)

Post by Igor Karpov » 21 Jun 2010, 09:19

dblmed wrote:How Expensive is this Book? .... Txs, ... Dave / dblmed
Hello, Dave!

Actually, this is a book of a notorious Oleg Kurilev, who writes his books without references, and all the images are taken from the Internet. These pictures (computer drawn) are solely the author's imagination. For example, SS-Gruppenführer is depicted with the enlisted men visored cap etc. And it costs $89.63!

Regards,
Igor

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”