Wehrmacht uniform buttons

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Dan Skidmore

Wehrmacht uniform buttons

Post by Dan Skidmore » 22 Jul 2012, 12:58

I recently found many Wehrmacht uniform buttons near Bitburg, Germany. Some are the typical pebbled finish with no markings however, many others have arabic (standard) numerals on the front. Others have Roman numerals. Are these regimental identifiers? Would these have been worn on the epaulets? I've recently ordered some books to help me but not knowing is killing me. Any help on this question would be greatly appreciated.

Dan Skidmore

Re: Wehrmacht uniform buttons

Post by Dan Skidmore » 22 Jul 2012, 18:33

I'm new to this site and am having problems uploading pictures. If I may clarify: I found these buttons at approximatly 10-12 cm below the surface adjacent to an old Panzer kaserne near Bitburg, Germany. The kaserne was taken over by French forces following the surrender of Germany in May 1945. The area has been assumed (again) by American forces for eventual delivery to the German gov't. I have no idea why hundreds of buttons would be located in an area about 1 sq m. I also uncovered several oak leaf wreath halves used on the peaked cap around the cockade. All artifacts exhibit parameters that would lead me to believe they are authentic. The location of discovery is also important. There were no visible remnants of uniforms and no fastening rings. Once again, any ideas on the numbered buttons would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 22 Jul 2012, 19:08

:welcome:

You can find instructions on how to attach images at http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 3#p1264863

/Marcus

Dan Skidmore

Post by Dan Skidmore » 22 Jul 2012, 19:09

Thank you Marcus! I did initially follow the posted instructions but my photos are too large in size. I will need to compress them or something in order to upload.

Bond

Post by Bond » 22 Jul 2012, 22:36

Arabic numerals are usually for the company no within the regiment. Roman numerals are usually WWI and are for the regiment no.

Jerry
Son of a WWII vet who served in N. Africa and Italy, hence my interest in those areas during WWII.

Dan Skidmore

Post by Dan Skidmore » 22 Jul 2012, 22:42

Thank you Bond! Why would I find both arabic and roman numeral buttons in the same patch of ground right next to a known WWII German tank maintenance facility? The question is rhetorical but mysterious just the same. Do you know where these buttons would have been located on the uniforms? Thanks again for narrowing down the question at hand. I do love a good mystery.

Bond

Post by Bond » 22 Jul 2012, 23:20

The arabic numerals are just found on the shoulder straps, whilst the roman numerals would have been on all the buttons as far as I remember, though WWI German uniforms are not an area about which I can claim to have a lot of knowledge about. Certainly is an enigma as to why all have been found in the same location and along with the other items. Any chance you can post some pictures of them?

The different companies within a regiment usually have a specific standard function and it should be possible to say what they were for, ie rifle company, or heavy weapons etc.

Also, most German tunic buttons were sewn in place and only certain types of uniforms used detachable buttons, such as tropical tunics or white summer tunics.

Jerry
Son of a WWII vet who served in N. Africa and Italy, hence my interest in those areas during WWII.

Dan Skidmore

Post by Dan Skidmore » 22 Jul 2012, 23:32

Jerry, I'm attempting to figure out how to compress my photos of the artifacts so that I can post them on here. Until then I can describe them completely. 19mm in diameter, subdued in color, pebbled in texture. All have raised numbers on the face. I have 1 through 6, 8 through 12 and 15. I also have a 15 that is silver washed (not subdued) which would indicate a dress uniform if I"m not mistaken. I also have several roman numeral buttons (3 of the I, and 1 of the III). Thanks again for your insight. I'm continuing to search. Every little bit of info leads me further down the path!!

Bond

Post by Bond » 22 Jul 2012, 23:37

Hi Dan,

I compress my photos by using paint, which just about every computer comes with as standard.

Jerry

Dan Skidmore

Post by Dan Skidmore » 22 Jul 2012, 23:42

I'm something of a Luddite when it comes to these sort of things. I'm working the issue and should have something by tomorrow. Thanks for the interest, check here in 24 hours and there should be some pics to work of off.

Dan Skidmore

Post by Dan Skidmore » 23 Jul 2012, 00:06

Buttons arabic numerals.gif

Dan Skidmore

Post by Dan Skidmore » 23 Jul 2012, 00:06

Buttons Roman Numeral.gif
Buttons Roman Numeral.gif (110.53 KiB) Viewed 3503 times

Dan Skidmore

Post by Dan Skidmore » 23 Jul 2012, 00:11

I'm still figuring this crap out. Hang with me...I'll get there in time. This gives a good representation of the buttons I have uncovered. As mentioned before I found several dozen plain pebbled finish buttons as well. Those had a more convoluted backing than these.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 23 Jul 2012, 01:35

These are shoulder strap buttons,.....The "Arabic" numbers ( 1, 2, 3, etc.) are Company #s (Inf.),.......the Roman Numerals are "Battery" #s....(I, II, III, IV, etc.) and are from Artillery units....both types are WW 2 German Army.....(WW 1s are differant)......the plain pebbled buttons are regular tunic buttons (front buttons & pockets)....
John G.

Bond

Post by Bond » 23 Jul 2012, 09:30

John G. wrote:These are shoulder strap buttons,.....The "Arabic" numbers ( 1, 2, 3, etc.) are Company #s (Inf.),.......the Roman Numerals are "Battery" #s....(I, II, III, IV, etc.) and are from Artillery units....both types are WW 2 German Army.....(WW 1s are differant)......the plain pebbled buttons are regular tunic buttons (front buttons & pockets)....
John G.

Indeed John, thanks for correcting my mistake on the battery buttons.

Jerry

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”