Splittertarn Panzerwrap insignia etc.

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
pepper

Splittertarn Panzerwrap insignia etc.

Post by pepper » 11 Mar 2014, 00:39

Hello all,
I got a splittertarn panzerwrap, but I dont know how to mount it up as original.
Because there is not enough information I can find about it. Does somebody know anything about these wraps?
Like if there were breasteagles on it, or the skulls.

The only picture i got is this one:
The guy on the left looks like he's wearing a splittertarnmuster.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Splittertarn Panzerwrap insignia etc.

Post by John G. » 11 Mar 2014, 14:14

The Germans didn't manurfacture Panzer wraps for issue....those very few originals that exist were "locally" made, privately done.... and "usually" would have "no insignia" as "insignia" is totally counter to the purposes of camouflage!.... but, of course, some will have insignia (breast eagles/sleeve eagles/etc.)...some right to the "hilt" (tabs, boards, eagles, awards, etc.)....

Is you're wrap original? If it is...., don't "add" anything that wasn't there previously...(if you have to "restore" anything).... if it's a replica....for realism I'd leave it plain,...... to impress my non-collecting friends....I'd make it look like "Audi Von Murphy" :lol: (full fruit salad)...

Realistically....don't "over decorate" as it always looks "hokey" (dumb!) to see a Army Gefreiter with 5 badges, combat clasp, German Cross, Knights Cross, and so on.... keep in "minimal" (but realistic and appropriate).... in this case, a Camo. wrap would have been meant for combat purposes...not display purposes! (I'd say NO INSIGNIA for realism!)
John G.

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 11 Mar 2014, 19:42

I agree with John, the Waffen-SS camo 'wraps' with insignia you see next to the splinter one are actually smocks worn over wrap-around tunics whose collars we can see.

Less is more where accurate re-enacting is concerned in my opinion obviously.

Ian

pepper

Post by pepper » 12 Mar 2014, 14:31

Thanks! It's a replica and it looks like this now:
It's a Unteroffizier (NCO)

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 12 Mar 2014, 21:15

Looks "nice"....(I try to avoid repro./replica myself)....looks like it might be "Swiss Splinter pattern Camo." rather than German....but can't really tell from just the one photo. For display....I'd also "loose" (remove) the EK ribbon....looks "for display purposes" only and "out of place"... and no combat soldier in his right mind would wear it in combat on that jacket....(maybe for his "portrait postcard!).
John G.

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 13 Mar 2014, 19:29

John G. wrote: looks like it might be "Swiss Splinter pattern Camo." rather than German....but can't really tell from just the one photo.
I'd agree with that.
John G. wrote:For display....I'd also "loose" (remove) the EK ribbon....looks "for display purposes" only and "out of place"... and no combat soldier in his right mind would wear it in combat on that jacket
Personally I'd rub the ribbon with dust to subdue it ... real EK ribbons are duller than that and in reality would be left off or mucked up to hide them.

Ian

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”