Feldmützen M34 & M43 variations

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Dolomitenfreund

Feldmützen M34 & M43 variations

Post by Dolomitenfreund » 26 Mar 2014, 21:39

I am wondering if anyone can recognize and identify these two cross-over variations on German Gebirgstruppen Field Caps.
My primary source of identification so far is: "Headgear of Hitler's Germany" J. Hallcomb & W. Saris. 1989
Both caps have/had the Edelweiss emblem sewn on to the rear left side, thus indicating they belonged to Gebirgsjäger (Mountain troop of the Wehrmacht) However, neither example conforms to the standard Feldmütze-Bergmütze design.
Bergmütze A has the characteristics of the Visored Field Caps originally worn only in sports and skiing activities and as of 1939 were issued by the Luftwaffe to Flak and Signal Units stationed in mountain areas while on aircraft spotting duty, weather service etc.
You will note though that the national emblem is not that of the Luftwaffe. Instead it is the regulation Wehrmacht insignia combining national emblem and cockade upon a field grey trapezoid commonly seen on the Visored Field Cap (Einheitsmütze M43)
Would this cross-over use of a Luftwaffe Flak/Observer's cap, but with Wehrmacht insignia be a common occurrence at the later stages of the war and material shortages?....or am I just misinterpreting the clues?
Bergmütze B also has it's own anomalies. In design and appearance it looks in part like the M34 Mountain Cap (Bergmütze), but instead of having the 2 brown "Steinnuss" (corozo nut) buttons it was 2 fairly large aluminum buttons. Additionally the hand-sewn national emblem does not conform to any versions (including M43 examples) I see in any books.
This cap does still have the Edelweiss emblem attached to the left side, whereas on example A one only sees the remains of the stitching .
If anyone has further knowledge of what these caps were and why they yield such unusual characteristics, I would appreciate it if they could enlighten me.
Thanks in advance for your interest and perhaps help.
Alvin
Attachments
Bergmütze A 1-sm.jpg
Bergmütze A 2-sm.jpg
Bergmütze A 3-sm.jpg
Bergmütze A 4-sm.jpg
Last edited by Dolomitenfreund on 26 Mar 2014, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Feldmützen M34 & M43 variations

Post by John G. » 26 Mar 2014, 21:57

Can't judge something I can't see..... both don't sound "kosher" from your descriptions.... "Hallcombs/Saris" is a good referance, but of limited value on identifying variations/originality... you'd have to post photos for any help on these, I'm afraid.
John G.

Dolomitenfreund

Post by Dolomitenfreund » 26 Mar 2014, 23:01

Thanks John, I was just coming back to post the photographs I had forgotten to include. My mistake, sorry!
It seems I cannot add more that 5 photographs per entry. So I will break this up over 2 posts.
Last edited by Dolomitenfreund on 26 Mar 2014, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.

Dolomitenfreund

Post by Dolomitenfreund » 26 Mar 2014, 23:05

Here the photographs for Bergmütze B
Attachments
Bergmütze B 1-sm.jpg
Bergmütze B 2-sm.jpg
Bergmütze B 3-sm.jpg
Bergmütze B 4-sm.jpg

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 28 Mar 2014, 12:07

"M43/Bergmutze" field caps have always been a difficult call.....so "my opinion" is just "my opinion"....based on many years of collecting, etc.

I don't believe either of these was truely "Mountian Caps" (of course, durning the mid/late war period, issue was "mixed"). I "like what I'm seeing" construct/etc.-wise with Cap "A" (the single button turndown), while NOT textbook, it's a known variation style & construction-wise... I DON'T like Cap "B" (Bullion eagle/oversized buttons) at all!....cut, construction, etc. all look extremely suspect IMHO....

However...there were many Private purchase "exceptions to the rule"..... "you'll have to decide" in the end.
John G.

Dolomitenfreund

Post by Dolomitenfreund » 29 Mar 2014, 03:10

Hi John,
Thank you for taking a closer look at the two "odd-ball" caps I posted here. While I have no way of proving the authenticity of the caps other than the fact I was given these by either the former wearers or from their families back in Austria in the early 1970's. They did not to my knowledge, ever enter the stream of store bought mix-ups or fakes. At least, I would see no reason that the veterans or their families would have made the effort to procure anything else than what had belonged to themselves. I fully agree with you that the combination of all features is odd and unusual. My previous suspicion had been that this was the result of using any and all possible left over materials in the closing years of the war. I had not taken into consideration the option of private purchase items. That is a good point.
Thanks again, Alvin

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”