Austrian Uniform identification

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
H.Schubert

Austrian Uniform identification

Post by H.Schubert » 04 Apr 2014, 15:22

Dear valuable contributors,

I recently came across a picture of my grandfather who died in 1944 in croatia.
My father was born 3 month before my grandfathers death, his unit was bombed in a train bombing between april and july 1944 in croatia, by partisans apparently.

Any information on the uniforms in the picture would be great, grandfather is on the left. The uniform insignia seems to be different.

Thank you very much

Kind regards

H.Schubert

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Austrian Uniform identification

Post by John G. » 04 Apr 2014, 16:20

[quote="H.Schubert"]Dear valuable contributors,

I recently came across a picture of my grandfather who died in 1944 in croatia.
My father was born 3 month before my grandfathers death, his unit was bombed in a train bombing between april and july 1944 in croatia, by partisans apparently.

Any information on the uniforms in the picture would be great, grandfather is on the left. The uniform insignia seems to be different.

Thank you very much

Kind regards

H.Schubert

Sir,
Unfortunately....not too much can be seen....but the basics are: Army NCO (exact rank unknown...would have to see "pips" on the shoulder straps to tell) but has NCO tresse around collar and shoulder straps, so definately an NCO. The "Blitz" (lightning bolt) sleeve patch means a "Signaler in a non-signals unit" (color would tell his "branch of service"...appears dark, possibly red for artillery but guessing now...). He has an Iron Cross 2nd Cl. 1939 ribbon in his buttonhole and appears to have a single place ribbon bar above his pocket flap...(possibly "4 Yr. Long Service or"Winter in Russia" but too faint for my eyes...)

Thats all the details I can see... NCO's uniform is earlier style with pleated pockets, pointed flaps, dk. green collar (?- hard to tell)....(other guy- ORs (Enlisted man) wears midwar tunic w/box pockets & flaps, same color collar as tunic...has a "Wound badge").... hope this adds alittle.
John G.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 05 Apr 2014, 09:32

Can´t add anything to John´s post, only that it seems that the shoulderboards don´t show something different then a "Feldwebel" rank. Additional photos, especially portrait style, will be appreciated to be certain.

H.Schubert

Post by H.Schubert » 05 Apr 2014, 11:31

Dear John,
Thank you bery much for or taking the time to reply to my thread.
Here is a portrait picture, however this might be relative older then the first one. We are trying to find the official army notice of his death, as these had a most recent ( decorated) portrait picture for propaganda purposes obviously.
The reason for this late search is that we want some basic facts get streight aout him. . . . my father made headlnes in 1947 when he was sent away by his mother to Luxembourg.
His picture was featured in many newspapers in 47 to give a face for the hundreds of children that were sent to Luxembourg. He grew up in a new family and never went back to Vienna. Most single mothers were struggeling obviously in autria after the war as everywhere else in europe. Luxembourg was relative wealthy in 47 and families could afford to host some foreign children. We try to find out the motivation of my grandmother to send her son away at 3 years, swiftly marrying a new man after.
Some say it had to do with the position my grandfather was holding in the army, grandma fearing retaliation by the russians who lived where they wanted in Post war Vienna. This is something I doupt, as my grandfather didn't hold an imporatant role in the army and died far away.. . .

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 05 Apr 2014, 12:59

The "portriat Post Card" photograph shows him as an "enlisted man" .....his cap shows "piping" (inverted "V") again is in a dark color....(very possibly Artillery/Amy AAA)..... but nothing else to add except the Award of an Iron Cross 2nd Cl. is a "bravery" award of somewhat exceptional "nature"... so he certianly did see "combat" and preformed "above and beyond" that earned him this award (and possibly why rapid promotion to NCO).

"VERY SAD/TRAGIC/PERSONAL" story & picture!...... one of several million "similiar/equally tragic stories" of direct consequense of the war. Certianly had and still has emotional impact for your father, yourself and your family... but what ever the reasons and motives....noone is responsible for anyone else's actions, .... who are we to judge another,..... and those of us without sin, cast the first stone, ...(and so forth!).... I've had similar events in my own life... life is what is is..!

Very doubtful a KIA "Signals NCO" would be anyone of "special interest" that the "Russians" (or any authoritys) would have hounded the survivors over postwar....more likely she either "just wanted no responsibilities" to start a new life or sincerely felt you're father would have a better life being adopted to a "Luxembourg family"- (I'd give her the benefit of the doubt!).... remember the times, the differant "values", the fear everyone still have felt in 1945-50 in devastated Europe....

Glad I could help alittle... if you have anything "else".... please share.... I was very touched by your father's 1947 photo....
John G.

H.Schubert

Post by H.Schubert » 05 Apr 2014, 15:08

Thank you John for the warm thoughts, I absolutely agree with your words.
We can't judge or understand the full spectrum of war and the people who lived in these years.

When my father arrived on that fate full day, he was the only child left on the train station, as the women he was supposed to go to, was 70 years old and was expecting a 16 year old girl instead to help with the house work. This was the crucial moment when he met M.Feldhausen, a german living in luxembourg. M. Feldhausen was a WW1 and WW2 vet., fought in Verdun, Ukraine and Yugoslavia . . . . M.Feldhausen told the reporter who shot the picture that no child will ever be left standing abondoned in his presence and he took my father to his home. My father grew up in this new family, his new parents being a lot older then his true parents,but he was gratefull and never regreted not being with his real mom, he became luxembourgish citizen when he got 18 . . I was born in 78 and since then we visited my grandmother regulary and we were happy for each other.

I will do a separate thread about M.Feldhausen and war years of Luxembourg, as there is not much information about Lux. on this forum.

As or the research about my grandfather, I will try to find that final picture, the one that was sent with the letter that he had fallen.

Regards

Chris

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”