Mannschaftsmütze vs Bordmütze

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
geahanse

Mannschaftsmütze vs Bordmütze

Post by geahanse » 06 Apr 2014, 03:26

During the war and even in the later war years, which kriegsmarine cap was most often used on a surface ship? The Mannschaftsmütze (the donald duck cap with the tally) or the Bordmütze (the side cap that was worn on uboats). Was there a certain reason to wear one or the other? In the film U-571, the scene with the German destroyer shows sailors wearing both..not saying that its accurate because its a movie but could this have been the case? Also, did they only wear white or blue depending on the season and weather or could they wear whichever they chose? If I'm not mistaken there was a version of the einheitzfeldmütze cap in not only tropical tan but in field gray also..was this only for ground units or could sailors wear that one on ships too? I know this is a multiple part question but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. Thank you

Ian Hulley

Re: Mannschaftsmütze vs Bordmütze

Post by Ian Hulley » 06 Apr 2014, 16:55

geahanse wrote: If I'm not mistaken there was a version of the einheitzfeldmütze cap in not only tropical tan but in field gray also..was this only for ground units or could sailors wear that one on ships too?
I have only ever seen photos of the naval tropical 'M40' being worn by KM personel, never an Einheitsfeldmutze on board ship.

Ian

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”