Help with deciding on a helmet

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Kaput

Help with deciding on a helmet

Post by Kaput » 14 Jul 2014, 00:18

Hey guys I just found this forum and I'm happy to see it looks quite active and filled with Info. So anyways I'm deciding on starting a collection of my favorite era, and more specifically.. German WWII memorabilia. So I'm really looking into purchasing a helmet but the problem is I can't figure out which to get (the m35, m40, or m42). I do know the differences of them but my question is which is considered to be the more popular and more sought after helmet I guess you can say. Do people and enthusiasts alike prefer the flare out look of the m42 or the "rolled in" look of the m35. I know it's more personal opinion for which to pick but I'd really like to hear what you guys think to help in making my decision. Thanks again guys :milsmile:

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Re: Help with deciding on a helmet

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 14 Jul 2014, 02:28

I prefer the M-35 & M-40, the last model M-42 ehhhhhh!

As for buying your first helmet,Good luck!!! Many, many redo's fakes,nonsense and garbage all over.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 14 Jul 2014, 12:41

If you are truely a collector, it shouldn't matter. Eventually you want AT LEAST ONE of every style and decal possibilities.... condition and originality should be your only consideration..(and price...of course)

In answer to you question.... Each style represents a particular "Era" within the 3rd Reich.... (just for example)

The early "Transitional" M16/17/18 helmets with gloss paint and double decals
Same, w/single decals & combat paint
The M35 helmet with gloss paint and double decals
the M35 helmet later issue "Combat paint" w/single decal (occassionally w/DD)
M35 helmet reissued w/combat paint and no decals
M40 helmet w/combat paint & Single decal
M40 helmets w/double decals (Polz. & others)
M40 helmets w/out decal
M42 helmets w/single decals
M42 helmets w/DDs (Polz. & others)
M42 helmets w/out decals
M-16/17/18 reissues for Volksstrum & latewar w/Single decals or no decals
ALL Camo. painted helmets...

Personally.... I like them "all".....(but a classic "single decal M40" probably would be most collectors "1st choice".
John G.

Kaput

Post by Kaput » 14 Jul 2014, 18:35

Thank you both very much for your input. But yes like you said john, I'm eventually going to want to get all of them but as for a first choice to start off with I'm looking to start with the most iconic German helmet during the era. That's my personal preference at least. And I basically was hoping to get a couple of opinions on which helmet is "that" iconic helmet of the German military (of the choices I gave of course). So it seems as if the consensus is leaning more toward the "rolled in" look of the helmets rather than the outward look that the m42 has.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”