Help Identifying Unknown Item Found in German Trench Coat

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Drex

Help Identifying Unknown Item Found in German Trench Coat

Post by Drex » 17 Jul 2014, 01:03

I have a surplus store fairly close to my home that rarely has any good Axis militaria, however I had my eye on a German Trench coat, and finally bought it. I tried it on at home, and I found a few things in the pockets. The first was a key, which is weird, next a leather loop of some kind, a piece of paper, which in German says: "Valid. Tariff and general conditions of carry.", and finally, what appears to be a metal polygonal tag surrounded in what I assume to be Bakelite, since it looks similar to that amber color. It says "MEX" in the tag. Again, I did get this from a surplus store, so I know that it may not even have to do with the Wehrmacht or even relating the military at all. But if there is anyone out there who does know what the "MEX" thing means, whether or not it means anything relating to the German military. I posted this on Yahoo Answers, and someone suggested posting on this site. I uploaded a picture here:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 659AAwVy0A
Thank you in advance for the help.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Help Identifying Unknown Item Found in German Trench Coa

Post by John G. » 17 Jul 2014, 12:12

Welcome... :welcome:

There was NOTHING in the links you provided that looked remotely like a period German Trench Coat (usually called a "Great Coat").... only modern or "sham" military-styles.... did you remove the photos?

You'd have to post pictures "here" or link to where you show the jacket/coat you actually own. WW 2 period Jackets of any type RARELY turn up at Surplus stores....more likely East or West German (or other European) which are all over the surplus markets (or were)....
John G.

Drex

Post by Drex » 17 Jul 2014, 16:35

No, I did not remove them, sorry for the inconvenience. I will upload them here to hopefully get rid of that problem. As you were saying, given they are hard to find, it probably would be a cold war era, but I, upon first glance, thought it looked quite similar to the M40 greatcoat. But looking at it now that you said that, the collar looks different from the M40. Also, the shoulder tabs seem to have been cut off.
Hopefully the pictures show up, since they were too large to post on the forum.
Again, thanks for your help.

jednastka

Post by jednastka » 17 Jul 2014, 19:49

The leather loop strongly reminds me of the slide we had for our Scouts scarf when I was much younger.

Vic

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 17 Jul 2014, 20:47

East German Overcoat....
John G.

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 19 Jul 2014, 20:29

John G. wrote:East German Overcoat....
John G.
Agreed, 100% definate NVA mantel :| Note the collar material, buttons, pockets and fabric colour.

Ian

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”