reconstructing a HEER visor

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Tyme

reconstructing a HEER visor

Post by Tyme » 04 Aug 2014, 07:09

I found an original HEER silver cockard and wreath in my grandfather's storage shed and wanted to recreate a officers visor for display purposes. Could anyone point me in the right direction of a relativity cheap yet accurate reproduction as well as a pair of period accurate goggles?

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Re: reconstructing a HEER visor

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 05 Aug 2014, 02:43

My first and only question to your request is WHY?????????
You want to take a cockade/wreath such as this one, and make it into this? visor cap?
You are going about this all wrong my newbie AHF member friend.
Attachments
thCAEHC0YU.jpg
thCAEHC0YU.jpg (11.04 KiB) Viewed 286 times
HAHI024-2.jpg
HAHI024-2.jpg (97.53 KiB) Viewed 286 times

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 05 Aug 2014, 13:10

There aren't any "good" reproduction Army officers visor hats (that aren't at least a couple hundred dollars) and they'd come with a wreath and cockade which might not be easily swapped....

There are $75.00 "Chinese" repro.s on eBay which are "o.k." (but would never fool anyone who'd seen a real one!)... and any old looking goggle would do for you purposes.... German officers ALMOST never wore visor hats in combat, very few of those would ever wear any form of goggles on a visor hat... so the look you wish to create is bogas.. (with the famous exception of Rommel wearing captured British Dust goggles)...

Save you money... buy a Army metal cap eagle and do a "frame" with those.... the hat idear is a waste of effort IMHO.
John G.

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 24 Aug 2014, 17:28

John G. wrote: (with the famous exception of Rommel wearing captured British Dust goggles)
They were actually British anti-gas goggles ... they were found in card packs of 5 (if I remember correctly) in the gas mask bag. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Ian.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”