Straight Wing SA Buckle !

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Black Dudley

Straight Wing SA Buckle !

Post by Black Dudley » 01 Sep 2014, 23:09

I've been offered these two buckles, the bottom one is a SA Buckle 3rd model. The one that interests me is the top one with the straight wings, at first I thought it was also a SA variant buckle, looked through my German Buckle 1919-45 catalogue its not in it. Any information welcome.
Attachments
Buckel 1.jpg
Buckel 2.jpg

von thoma

Re: Straight Wing SA Buckle !

Post by von thoma » 02 Sep 2014, 05:58

Only the SA-Wehrmannschaft ( Home Guard ) belt buckles have straight the wings.
Could be an early version.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 02 Sep 2014, 12:13

von thoma wrote:Only the SA-Wehrmannschaft ( Home Guard ) belt buckles have straight the wings.
Could be an early version.
That is not correct.... there were straight wing eagle brass buckle variations (the 1st buckle pictured).... sometimes called early SS or Political Leader but much more probably just an early variation from one (or two?) makers.... and "common" to all early formations that didn't already have a distinctive buckle.

HOWEVER... the straight-wing buckle needs very close scrutiny.... aging looks artificial and some details make me wonder. I've only seen TWO assumed original "straight-winged SA/SS brass buckles" and I know fakes are out there.... I'd post pictures on the WAF (or somewhere with buckle experts....) for more learnered opinions. Not saying it's bad, only that it's not an easy call... and it is a very scarce buckle, if original.
John G.

Black Dudley

Post by Black Dudley » 04 Sep 2014, 11:58

Hello,
I bought the buckle. At the time of starting the thread here, I had posted it as well on WAF forum and one German speaking forum, sometimes you don't always get an immediate response, by adopting a scatter gun approach, you might get something back at least from one of them, in this particular case all three answered. The common wisdom seems to be - its a SA variant buckle (no SS connection) some say early model, others say later, but its never been called a fantasy piece, which was my main concern or was its authenticity questioned, indeed I had three different offers for it. Thanks for the help

Dwight Pruitt

Post by Dwight Pruitt » 04 Sep 2014, 23:58

Bill Shea has a straight-winged version for sale on his site. There are differences between his and the one pictured here.

http://www.therupturedduck.com/B-118b-S ... B-118b.htm

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 05 Sep 2014, 12:04

Dwight Pruitt wrote:Bill Shea has a straight-winged version for sale on his site. There are differences between his and the one pictured here.

http://www.therupturedduck.com/B-118b-S ... B-118b.htm

Bill's listing an "SA Wehrmannschaft" buckle (totally seperate buckle type) ...not the buckle under discussion. Learned buckle collectors have deemed this one to be original and discussion there (WAF) says there are (at least) two original versions...(W/added front disc and "1 pc. stamped" versions).

The "variant SA buckle" under discussion here is very scarce.... :thumbsup: Black Dudley...Nice addition to ANYONEs collection, and a potential $$$ if you so desired.... I'd treasure it if I were you!
John G.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”