Help in Identifying & finding the correct units

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
HistoryoftheReich

Help in Identifying & finding the correct units

Post by HistoryoftheReich » 08 Nov 2014, 16:36

Hi every one. Newbie to the Axis History Forum here :thumbsup:

I have recently purchased 3 Dog Tags I was hoping to get some help correctly identifying the units so I can find some photographs to display behind them? I'd also appreciate any opinions on authenticity!
The information as I know it is:

Tag 1 - Machine Gun Kompanie, 4th Infantry, Regiment 43 - Soldier I.D No.218

Tag 2 - 3rd Light Artillery, Replacement Battery No.22 - Soldier I.D No.1055

Tag 3 - Infantry Artillery Replacement Company 208 - Soldier I.D No.5691

Last edited by HistoryoftheReich on 09 Nov 2014, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.

Alanmccoubrey

Re: Help in Identifying & finding the correct units

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 08 Nov 2014, 20:40

You're not translating the units correctly, the second is Artillery Regiment 22 but I don't recognise L.E.B. I'm afraid.
The third is "Infantry Gun Replacement Company". There was an Inf Ersatz Btln 208.
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... t208-R.htm

On the first I am surprised that the title is "M.G. Kp." rather than the actual company number as an Inf Regt had three MG companies, 4th, 8th and 12th.

Getting the unit names correct will make them less hard to identify .
Alan

HistoryoftheReich

Post by HistoryoftheReich » 09 Nov 2014, 13:13

Hi Alan, Thanks for your reply.
I didn't think they sounded right but I went by what the seller posted on the auction & I'm guessing she went by the labels the original owner had stapled to the plastic covers (Img 4).

So, Tag 1 -( M.G.K . 4/ J R 43 ) Machine Gun Kompanie, 4th Infantry, Regiment 43 - Soldier I.D No.218. Is correct but should have the MG Kp No. on the tag ?

Tag 2 - ( 3rd L.E.B . A.R 22 ) 3rd (Light . Replacement . Battery) Artillery Regiment 22. ?

Tag 3 -is correct ?
Last edited by HistoryoftheReich on 09 Nov 2014, 15:01, edited 2 times in total.

HistoryoftheReich

Post by HistoryoftheReich » 09 Nov 2014, 13:30

Some better pic's of the Tags.

But for clarification the tags read as
Tag 1 - ( M.G.K . 4/ J.R 43 ) - Soldier I.D No.218.
Tag 2 - ( Jnf . Gesch . Ers . Kp 208 ) - Soldier I.D No.5691
Tag 3 - ( 3rd L.E.B . A.R 22 ) - Soldier I.D No.1055

HistoryoftheReich

Post by HistoryoftheReich » 09 Nov 2014, 17:16

Alanmccoubrey wrote:You're not translating the units correctly, the second is Artillery Regiment 22 but I don't recognise L.E.B. I'm afraid.
The third is "Infantry Gun Replacement Company". There was an Inf Ersatz Btln 208.
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... t208-R.htm

On the first I am surprised that the title is "M.G. Kp." rather than the actual company number as an Inf Regt had three MG companies, 4th, 8th and 12th.

Getting the unit names correct will make them less hard to identify .
As I understand it now-

Tag 1 -
- ( M.G.K . 4/ J.R 43 ) - Soldier I.D No.218.
- MaschinenGewehr Kompanie 4/ Infanterie Regiment 43
- ( Machine Gun Company 4 / Infantry Regiment 43 )

Tag 2 -
- 3rd L.E.B . A.R 22 ) - Soldier I.D No.1055
- Leichte Ersatz Batterie Artillerie Regiment 22 - Soldier I.D No.1055
- ( Light replacement battery Artillery Regiment 22 )

Tag 3 -
- ( Jnf . Gesch . Ers . Kp 208 ) - Soldier I.D No.5691
- Infanterie Geschutz Ersatz Kompanie 208 - Soldier I.D No.5691
- ( Infantry Gun replacement company 208 )??? Not sure if this is right! I know it's part of "Reserve-Infanterie-Bataillon 208"

The only links I've been given are to 3 German speaking sites :|

Alanmccoubrey

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 09 Nov 2014, 18:09

That's about it but as I don't know much about these ID tags I'm loath to say that because of the "MG Kp" thing I have my doubts about the authenticity of that particular one. Perhaps an expert on the topic will tell you different but knowing that there were in fact three MG companies in a regiment makes me doubt that a man's ID Tag would have just MG Kp on it rather than the actual company number.
Alan

HistoryoftheReich

Post by HistoryoftheReich » 09 Nov 2014, 19:46

Alanmccoubrey wrote:That's about it but as I don't know much about these ID tags I'm loath to say that because of the "MG Kp" thing I have my doubts about the authenticity of that particular one. Perhaps an expert on the topic will tell you different but knowing that there were in fact three MG companies in a regiment makes me doubt that a man's ID Tag would have just MG Kp on it rather than the actual company number.
I thought that it reads that it was M.G company 4? of the 43rd Inf Regiment!

- ( M.G.K 4/ J.R 43 ) - Soldier I.D No.218.
- MaschinenGewehr Kompanie 4/ Infanterie Regiment 43 - ( Machine Gun Company 4 / Infantry Regiment 43 )

Link to - Infanterie Regiment 43
http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/redirect- ... IR43-R.htm

Thanks for your help on this subject as I am a complete newbie when it comes to Tags :oops:

HistoryoftheReich

Post by HistoryoftheReich » 11 Nov 2014, 20:41

Just to finish up I have found out that -

Tag 1 - Machine.Gun.Company 4/ (of the) 43rd Infantry Regiment - - Soldier I.D No.218
(Field Post No.00134 /- From 1944- Field Post No.23650 E ) Part of the - 1st Infantry Division.

Tag 2 - 3rd Light Replacement Battery - Artillery Regiment 22 - - Soldier I.D No.1055
(Field Post No.16242 / - From194008424 D) Part of the - 22nd Air Landing Division (Wehrmacht)

Tag 3 - Infantry Gun Replacement Company 208 - - Soldier I.D No.5691 (I'm a little unsure from here) I think there part of the 208th Infantry Regiment? so then according to "Lexicon Der Wehrmacht" It's (IG Company field Post No.33686 gestr. March / 44) & that would make them part of the 2nd wave 79th Infantry Division (which was quit an interesting Division that saw action at Stalingrad and Leningrad, and more surprisingly were surrounded & cut off with the 6th army in the Kessel)

I could really use some help confirming this last Tag Please anything would be really appreciated.

Alanmccoubrey

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 11 Nov 2014, 22:24

I'm sorry but fighting regiments did not contain "replacement" companies/batteries in the way that you are assuming here. What I mean is that 22 Artillery Regiment did not have a "Light Replacement Battery" and neither would 208 Infantry Regiment have "Infantry Gun Replacement Company 208 ", it had a 13th (Infantry Gun) Company. The front line replacements for a Division were held in its Feldersatz Bataillon which had men from all the arms of service.

In the pre-war years as the German army was expanding there were "Ergänzungs-Batterien " (Supplementary Batteries) in several artillery regiments which on mobilisation were used to form new regiments, 22 Artillery Regiment had two such batteries in 1938 but they were numbered 7 and 10 and as I say were sent off to form another unit on Mobilisation.

Any unit with "replacement" , such as Inf Gun Replacement Coy 208, in its title belonged to the Replacement Army and had a home station well away from the front, they all started in Germany of course but as the war went on they were spread across Europe to assist in occupation duties and make better use of the available military facilities.
Alan

HistoryoftheReich

Post by HistoryoftheReich » 12 Nov 2014, 16:23

Alanmccoubrey wrote:I'm sorry but fighting regiments did not contain "replacement" companies/batteries in the way that you are assuming here. What I mean is that 22 Artillery Regiment did not have a "Light Replacement Battery" and neither would 208 Infantry Regiment have "Infantry Gun Replacement Company 208 ", it had a 13th (Infantry Gun) Company. The front line replacements for a Division were held in its Feldersatz Bataillon which had men from all the arms of service.

In the pre-war years as the German army was expanding there were "Ergänzungs-Batterien " (Supplementary Batteries) in several artillery regiments which on mobilisation were used to form new regiments, 22 Artillery Regiment had two such batteries in 1938 but they were numbered 7 and 10 and as I say were sent off to form another unit on Mobilisation.

Any unit with "replacement" , such as Inf Gun Replacement Coy 208, in its title belonged to the Replacement Army and had a home station well away from the front, they all started in Germany of course but as the war went on they were spread across Europe to assist in occupation duties and make better use of the available military facilities.
It appears that the initial links to Lexicon were wrong then, to some extent! But I'm all good on the ( M.G Kp 4/ Inf Reg 43 ) Tag though? that was definitely a combat Regiment with the 1st Inf Div??? I've got that one right? If I can start looking for some photographs for an M.G Kp with the 43rd Inf Regiment I'll be a happy man :milwink:

As far as my 208 Tag is "Infantry Gun Replacement Company 208" correct???
And should I be looking at ( The German Replacement Army 1939 to 1945 ) & ( Feldersatz- and field training organizations ) to get some idea of where the wearer of this Tag would of been & may of been doing during the war, & where he may of ultimatley ended up?

Lastly The Final Dog Tag that reads ( 3.L.E.B A.R 22 ) I'm not even sure ( 3.L.E.B . A.R 22 ) even means 3rd Light Replacement Battery? In fact I don’t think the (L) stands for “light” at all!

That’s a little bold as I know next to nothing about German Abbreviations or Dog Tags!

Unfortunately the (Hand Written) descriptions that came with the Tags seem to be partly wrong!

Is it not possible that the (L) is for Teaching/Training? Only according to "German Military Abbreviations - April 12th 1943" a Capital (L) = Teaching (li) = light (licht)

Could it be something like a. Training Replacement Battalion/Battery,
with something to do with one of these -
Artillery Regiment Replacement 22.
Replacement and artillery training department 22
Which had 3 light and a heavy battery on the “alarm-coast?"
Artillery Replacement Division 22?

My understanding of an Ersatz unit is Training / Occupation duties?

Maybe the whole L.E.B means something else entirely? I don’t know where I’m supposed to be looking & I feel like I’m taking the P**s keep asking for help! I’m not expecting some one to do it all for me, that’s defiantly not the case!

What I'm ultimately trying to know is:

1) What Kompany/Regiment the Tags are for?
2) & what the Kp/Reg duties & deployment/home station were roughly?
3) Whether the Tags look real or Fake!

Eventually I’d like to try find for my self how ever unlikely, some photographs relating to the 3 Tags. Or at least for the M.G Kp 4 or any MG Kp in Reg 43!

I'd like to try (but I know it’s probably impossible), to find out what happened to the wearers of the tag's, especially of the MG Kp Dog Tag (as it was a front line combat Kp) & see if there’s any way of finding out when/where the owners of the Ersatz Tags where sent to combat units? (The numbers under the unit numbers are the Individual soldiers No. right which I can use to try and find info on him once I know where to start looking?)

Or is one or both “souvenir Tags” I’ve read about, soldiers picking up from Kp stores!

Or is it just that the Tag is a Fake, & the lettering is for a "Fantasy unit" which some one else was telling me about!

If that's the case, or if anyone has any inkling that it's probably the case then that's not a problem, trust me the headache it's given me I'd rather know, & believe me the price I paid you couldn't buy a cheap modern dog tag with Celtic tattoos on it from Primark for less!

As long as one of them is real I've still had a bargain even with the price for all 3 together!

You see how confused I am?

I’ve never even looked at a Dog Tag before a few days ago!

Lexicon is a great source of information but only for the Tag I definitely know is for a MG Kp in Inf Reg 43!
The other Tags with out knowing for sure what the L.E.B means I don't know where I'm even supposed to be looking!?

If it was - German uniforms/Ranks/Insignia/Medals/Awards Third Reich History /Political history of the NSDAP / the HJ /SD/ Kripo/ Sipo/ The Schutzstaffel /Waffen-SS the OKW/ OKH/ the Holocaust ect… German Armour /Panzers /AFV’s the Lufftwaffe…

There all things I’ve spent a few years reading about. But a simple Dog Tag & I’m lost (time for some new books, that's for sure)

I genuinely really appreciate any & all help! It's really not taken for granted believe me.

Simon H

Post by Simon H » 28 Nov 2014, 13:53

The first tag marked M.G.K is indeed for Maschine Gehwehr Kompanie and is pre WW2 issue.

The L.E.B. one is a bit of a oddity but I'd agree with Alan that its more likely the "L" is for Leichte and not Lehr (training).

Certainly the 2 zinc tags are OK. I'm not sure about the alloy one.

Best Wishes,
Simon
WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken Identification.

HistoryoftheReich

Post by HistoryoftheReich » 04 Dec 2014, 02:00

Simon H wrote:The first tag marked M.G.K is indeed for Maschine Gehwehr Kompanie and is pre WW2 issue.

The L.E.B. one is a bit of a oddity but I'd agree with Alan that its more likely the "L" is for Leichte and not Lehr (training).

Certainly the 2 zinc tags are OK. I'm not sure about the alloy one.

Best Wishes,
Simon
Hi Alan Sorry about the delay in reading your reply been I've been so busy, Yeah I was wondering about the ally one as soon as I saw it (before buying it) but I only paid £1.70 along side the other two which cost me around £5 each so I'm not worried! I'll just put it down to most likely fake! & leave it at that.

What makes the MGK Tag stand out as Pre WWII? How would I tell in the futer?

Thank you by the way all replies and any help is appreciated :thumbsup:

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”