Help to identify cap badge?

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
4thskorpion

Help to identify cap badge?

Post by 4thskorpion » 27 Feb 2015, 11:11

Would be very appreciative of any help to identify this cap badge?
Letter_P_uniform106.png
Letter_P_uniform106.png (418.66 KiB) Viewed 261 times
The uniformed man is wearing a letter <P> patch for Polish forced workers, so I am assuming the uniform is of some civil authority or entity in Germany???

Grateful thanks in advance :)

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Help to identify cap badge?

Post by John G. » 27 Feb 2015, 11:32

Looks like a flag within an "open-top" wreath.... can't see colors or detail, probably a German (or) "Shipping, Steamship, River Barge, or Coastal Shipping" Line... many such which existed and probably used "Polish" laborers for nearly all jobs and duties ....(NOT ALL were "forced").... The guys jacket isn't really a uniform, but could be a "duty" jacket as such.... the Visor hat and emblem are typical of "Merchant Marine-type" hats... but you'd need to see the colors on the flag to know which "company"/"line" and literally 100s existed in Europe in the 30s/40s....(many also taken over and run by the Germans durning the war ...) too!

That would be my "somewhat educated" guess..... can't be more exact.
John G.

4thskorpion

Re: Help to identify cap badge?

Post by 4thskorpion » 27 Feb 2015, 13:53

Many thanks John, for your "somewhat educated guess" :) ... I think you are right about a flag of some sort within "open-top wreath".

Bellow is a higher resolution scan but the focus is out on the original so not much further detail revealed. Unfortunately no annotation on the reverse of the photoprint that might have helped.
Letter_P_cap-badge107.jpg

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”