WwII BOX

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Anita

WwII BOX

Post by Anita » 04 May 2015, 20:16

Hi all, new here and need some help.

I have an item that I hope to get some info on.

Hopefully with your knowledge I can get the history for this.

Thanks in advance
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ian Hulley

Re: WwII BOX

Post by Ian Hulley » 04 May 2015, 22:48

Without a cast-iron trail of provenance back to 8th May '45 that's just another ruined old box.

Ian.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: WwII BOX

Post by John G. » 05 May 2015, 10:35

I know little about German footlockers, but the box looks like it could be a German Footlocker/Storage locker (WW 2 era) to me- based on one photo I found showing a partial view of a German version... 1st thing I'd want to see is there any other markings confirming this as a "period"/German-made trunk? Check the "hardware", handles, inside, underneath, etc., if an issue footlocker- it would have had markings.

Certianly research the name.... SS officers rank lists exist (but proves little).... and ask on the other major forums. Take better pictures of the hardware/handles....trim, inside (open) and out... in natural light...

I'd have to know EVERY DETAIL checked out and THEN have iron clad provenance before I got too excited. Of course, an SS Officers footlocker would be a nice find- but proving it's originality will take alot of work and always questioned.

Depends where you found it.... to begin.
John G.

PS.... I agree with Ian.... but am willing to "keep an open mind"... on the box (The name is a additional matter!) One hurtle at a time.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”