German Helmets

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
freightliner009

German Helmets

Post by freightliner009 » 14 May 2015, 13:54

Hi,

I have a question now about the air holes on German helmets, most I've seen online have open rivets but I have also seen a few with what has been described as 'pepper pot' air holes. Just wondering, as I've seen far less with the 'pepper pot' holes, are they actually authentic helmets that have these and if so why most had the open rivets and less with the 'pepper pot' air holes?

Many thanks,

Andy

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: German Helmets

Post by John G. » 14 May 2015, 16:56

Andy... the helmets with "salt and pepper shaker" air vents (or a bunch of little holes in a circular pattern)... are Civil lt. weight helmets, not the heavier steel "combat" helmets...

Usually Police, Fire, Red Cross, etc. use the civilian versions... The military wore M16/18 WW 1 types, M-35s (bushing air vents/rolled edge), M-40s (stamped air vent /rolled edge, and finally, m42s which has stamped air vents and an unrolled, flared rim.... they have a differant liner system and chin strap arrangement from the Civilian type.

Usually (always with exceptions) most civil-type helmets are not worth as much as combat types....
John G.

Ian Hulley

Re: German Helmets

Post by Ian Hulley » 21 May 2015, 21:27

Also known as the 'M33' by collectors :thumbsup:

Ian

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”