Italian camo cap in original WW2 camo fabric ?

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Stevewinters

Italian camo cap in original WW2 camo fabric ?

Post by Stevewinters » 02 Jun 2015, 12:19

Morning Gents,
First post so please be gentle ! I am looking to add a new made italian camo cap made from original WW2 fabric but I am a bit confused . It is my understanding Italian camo was printed on shelter type fabric similar to that used in zeltbahns ? The three caps I have been offered have a very loose weave nothing like my zeltbahn items . Help, advice and information on avoiding an expensive mistake would be most welcome .
Thanks in advance.
Regards.
Steve.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Italian camo cap in original WW2 camo fabric ?

Post by John G. » 04 Jun 2015, 13:34

:welcome:
WW 2 Italian Camo. was also made of a thinner cotton "duck", Jacket cloth... as well as heavier "zeltbahn" material.... also made long after WW2 so difficult to properly date.... since you're talking a reproduction, I see little difference. A fake shouldn't be "that" expensive (?)... but what your willing to spend is up to you.

John G.

Stevewinters

Post by Stevewinters » 12 Jun 2015, 17:24

Hi John.
Thank you for your answer about the italian fabric. I did some research on the internet/ collecting forums and only found one mention of lighter weight fabric , the rest seemed to be about zeltbahn fabric and how hot the troops must have got wearing camo suits made of zeltbahn fabric ?
Regards.
Steve.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 13 Jun 2015, 11:14

SS Italian Camo. Anoraks Jackets are made of the thinner material... possibly "German-made" using Italian rollers (the Camo. printing rollers)... also, with use, the zeltbahn material would "loosen up" some since some of the stiffness is the "waterproofing" which would start breakingdown (alittle) with wear, sweat, rain, and washing...

Again, your talking about a reproduction... I don't quite see "the differance" really mattering (No offense intended)... since it's only representitive.

Most Italian Camo. caps would have been "locally made/fieldmade" so I'd assume those would have been from Ital. Zeltbahn material... "factory/German-made" are probably from excess Camo. from the Anorak material.... the thinner stuff.

Just based on what I've seen and read... wish you good luck in your Quest...
John G.

Stevewinters

Post by Stevewinters » 13 Jun 2015, 21:43

Hi John.
Once again thank you for the information . I have no Italian camo in my German ww2 camo collection so decided to buy a new made cap in original ww2 material as a starter reference point but got a bit confused hence my original post.
Regards.
Steve.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”