Kriegsmarine hat

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
stig58

Kriegsmarine hat

Post by stig58 » 03 Jul 2015, 08:06

I would like to hear the forums opinion on this Officers Kriegsmarine hat. It is supposed to be a WW2 product, I can find nothing similar to compare it with, the cap badges seem to be too large?

Dennis
$_86km 2.jpg
Attachments
$_86km-1.jpg
$_86km 3.jpg

Patches

Re: Kriegsmarine hat

Post by Patches » 03 Jul 2015, 10:32

stig58 wrote:I would like to hear the forums opinion on this Officers Kriegsmarine hat. It is supposed to be a WW2 product, I can find nothing similar to compare it with, the cap badges seem to be too large?
Sorry but the eagle is all wrong. It looks like an Army/Heer breast eagle due to its color and size and is not a cap eagle, and the eagle also looks like a reproduction. The Kriegsmarine used gold colored eagles (for all ranks, both embroidered and metal eagles on their hats) and that is not what you have on this hat.

It may be that the oak leaves surrounding the cockade/roundel should be gold colored as well for the Kriegsmarine but I am not 100% sure on that, so hopefully someone else with more knowledge can chime in. My guess is that the oak leaves too, should be gold colored. Are there any buttons on the sides of the cap for a chin cord?

There is also nothing about this hat to signify that it is an officer's model. Looks more like an NCO's hat if it was real, which I highly doubt.

With everything that is wrong I would not take a chance on this hat, especially as it is being presented as genuine. It isn't.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 03 Jul 2015, 11:17

Hat is bogas as hell... Panzer breast eagle with Army Wreath & cockade, hat could be anything... but NOT a regulation KM hat for sure...

Run, don't walk away...

The Navy sometimes wore "Silver" eagles and "wreaths" (KM style, NOT Army) for Administrative Personnel... but this isn't even close...
John G.

stig58

Post by stig58 » 03 Jul 2015, 19:49

Thanks for the replies, but is the hat still a Kriegsmarine WW2 product and someone added the badges later, the inside lining has got a hexagon shaped makers logo, similar to some Kriegsmarine hats of WW2 (pictures below)?
g007519-5.jpg
g007519-5.jpg (22.72 KiB) Viewed 670 times
helmets-1-164web2.jpg
Dennis

John G.

Post by John G. » 03 Jul 2015, 21:52

East and West German Navys both wore similiar Visor hats (as well as many other "Marine-related" services).. is the remains of the sweatshield on "yours" soft or hard? Have you blacklight it? I doubt it's a Kreigmarine hat, but without seeing it "in hand", etc. it's impossible to tell...
John G.

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 08 Jul 2015, 18:37

John G. wrote:East and West German Navys both wore similiar Visor hats (as well as many other "Marine-related" services).. is the remains of the sweatshield on "yours" soft or hard?
The fact the sweatshield has been destroyed would make me inclined to believe there was just such a give-away on it. :milwink:

Either way it's a No from me. :|

Ian

John G.

Post by John G. » 09 Jul 2015, 22:03

The only thing good about the hat is possibly the Panzer eagle and Army wreath... the rest is really just "trash", almost certianly NOT Kriegmarine... not worth restoring (you'd never find an orig. chin strap, let alone the cost of orig. KM hat insignia!) Don't waste your time unless it's under $20.00... (the wreath is worth that if the prongs are good)...can't tell if the Panzer eagle is real (worth $90/100.+ nowadays if it is.)...
John G.

Patches

Post by Patches » 10 Jul 2015, 00:30

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink... :milwink:

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”