Need Help Identifying this camo pattern (if real).

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Eversman

Need Help Identifying this camo pattern (if real).

Post by Eversman » 29 Oct 2015, 03:37

In the 2005 game Sniper Elite, Karl Fairburne is an American OSS agent disguised as a German sniper during the Battle of Berlin. He attempts to prevent the Soviet Union taking control of Germany's nuclear secrets in and around Berlin in April 1945. He engages both sides wearing this outfit.

The camo of the parka doesn't look SS to me but it's too dense for Heer Splinter...Could the game devs have based it on Italian camo captured by the Germans? Maybe twice captured by US forces in Italy and supplied to an OSS operative for a mission in Berlin?

I doubt that much thought was put into it but I'm trying my best to make some sense of it. Of course it's entirely possible that this is a "made up" pattern. Hope the experts can point me in the right direction.

von thoma

Re: Need Help Identifying this camo pattern (if real).

Post by von thoma » 29 Oct 2015, 07:48

No Heer Splinter, and not SS camo.
My vote for some kind of Heer camouflage Sumpfmuster 43 or 44.
Difficult to say because we doesn't have high quality in the drawing, but notes that he uses a Gewehr 43 Semi-automatic rifle.
If they search acuraccy, it has to be a camouflage of the latest patterns.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Eversman

Post by Eversman » 29 Oct 2015, 16:50

It does look like Sumpfmuster, a bit dark but it is similar. Sadly not many 1/6 modelling parts come in Sumpfmuster.

My guess was this Italian design:

But yes, the in-game pictures aren't the greatest. No promotional artwork existed for this game from what I know either. I'm trying to make a 1/6 model based on this guy, obviously a fictional/hypothetical design...but I want it grounded in some reality.

From what I know only SS units in Italy used Italian camo...but since ,y operative here appears to be wearing British pants, a modified American holster...mixing a Heer cap with Italian parka won't be a very big issue.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 30 Oct 2015, 04:43

WTH???? Its a pic froma stupid video game, jezzzzzzzzz

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 30 Oct 2015, 04:45

As no business being on a collecting thread or section, put this nonsense over on *Kiddie games* section

Eversman

Post by Eversman » 30 Oct 2015, 06:26

Un huh. Well I was trying to ID a camo pattern not talk about the game. It could be from a comic book, or hollywood film, who cares. Moderators already approved the thread.

Not sure why that got you so excited that you had to post twice without providing any useful info.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 30 Oct 2015, 10:24

It is an artist's version of a video game fantasy "sniper" and Camo. pattern.. with only a vague resemblence of what a German sniper would have really looked like... a completely "Hollywood" view IMO. However, nothing wrong with asking... but IMO artwork done by someone with little experiance with "real" stuff, Camo., and reality.
John G.

Eversman

Post by Eversman » 31 Oct 2015, 21:16

Thanks John. I'm doing a 1/6 model so i'll go with Splinter as it appears youre probsbly right.

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 01 Nov 2015, 19:05

Personally it looks like Sumpftarn 'Marsh Pattern' combined with a bit of 'Blurred-edge' Waffen-SS camo pattern.

Ian

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”