Stahlhelm liner, how is it attached?

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
DerFreiKorpMann

Stahlhelm liner, how is it attached?

Post by DerFreiKorpMann » 20 Nov 2015, 13:03

Hallo! I was wondering about how the liner on the Stahlhelm (or the Fallschirmjäger's M38 Stahlhelm for that matter) is attached to the shell? Is it sturdy enough for me to just carry my helmet by the straps or what? Please post pictures on how it is attached, thank you!
Potz, Mohren, Blitz und Kreuzelement,
Wer den Fritz und seine Soldaten noch nicht kennt!"

Damn bloody hell
Upon anyone still not knowing Fritz and his soldiers!"

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Stahlhelm liner, how is it attached?

Post by John G. » 20 Nov 2015, 18:29

The liner pins/attachment system is plenty strong enough to bear the weight of the helmet... it's the strap itself which would be prone to break if "hung" or carried by the strap itself... of course, in the field it was often done... replacing the strap was probably no problem for a German soldier... it would be a problem with a dry, brittle, or aged strap nowadays, however.

Sorry, you'll have to research pictures of how the liner system attaches... (Regular helmet: 3 liner pins, double fold tabs with slotted washers- originals would hold liner band with leather liner firmly in place to withstand high impact)... can't really photograph it very well.
John G.

DerFreiKorpMann

Re: Stahlhelm liner, how is it attached?

Post by DerFreiKorpMann » 21 Nov 2015, 17:39

Danke, John G! I should probably get an extra set of liner pins and another strap if i'm planning on keeping this helmet intact :)
Potz, Mohren, Blitz und Kreuzelement,
Wer den Fritz und seine Soldaten noch nicht kennt!"

Damn bloody hell
Upon anyone still not knowing Fritz and his soldiers!"

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”