FAKE NSFK TAB AT WAF

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Mark Costa

FAKE NSFK TAB AT WAF

Post by Mark Costa » 12 Jan 2016, 22:02

I have to post this here because this tab was posted over at the WAF and members there think this is a real tab. It is obviously a fake. The NSFK NEVER EVER used this design for their tabs. It is obviously a takeoff of a 1942-45 SS/Police Tab. I am posting a photo of the tab, a real 1942-45 SS tab and a real NSFK-Obergruppenführer tab. Please post your thoughts.

Mark Costa

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... 443&page=5
Attachments
NSFK FAKE.jpg

Ian Hulley

Re: FAKE NSFK TAB AT WAF

Post by Ian Hulley » 13 Jan 2016, 14:18

Hi Mark, I commented on the WAF thread and I'm happy to repeat my view that (to me) the oak leaves are spot on :|

Cheers, Ian.

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 13 Jan 2016, 17:00

Ian, Thank you for your input. So what your're saying is that this is a one of a kind prototype tab which of which no documentation exists? Because that is what it would be.

There are no other examples, photos of it in wear nor period references to any uniform/insignia changes for the NSFK. I also find it hard to believe that Göring who was the nominal head of the NSFK would approve a design change that mimicked the SS.

Mark

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 13 Jan 2016, 18:40

Mark Costa wrote:Ian, Thank you for your input. So what your're saying is that this is a one of a kind prototype tab which of which no documentation exists? Because that is what it would be.
With respect Mark I'm saying
Ian Hulley wrote:Hi Mark, I commented on the WAF thread and I'm happy to repeat my view that (to me) the oak leaves are spot on :|

Cheers, Ian.
Ian Hulley wrote:The oakleaves themselves are textbook

Ian
I did not and am not commenting on the tab itself as I'm in no position to do so.

Ian

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 13 Jan 2016, 19:28

Ian, I apologize for assuming that. I am very concerned that no one, other than myself, even questioned its authenticity as no other examples exist. As many others seem to give it the thumbs up, I will acquiesce to their and your opinion but until actual documentation can be found the jury to me is still out on it. Thank you for giving me your comments on this it is much appreciated as I trust and value your opinions. If it turns out to a real tab, then it would be among the rarest Reich tabs in existence and researchers/collectors such as myself would have to rethink all aspects of NSFK collar insignia.

Mark

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 13 Jan 2016, 19:47

Mark Costa wrote:Ian, I apologize for assuming that. I am very concerned that no one, other than myself, even questioned its authenticity as no other examples exist. As many others seem to give it the thumbs up, I will acquiesce to their and your opinion but until actual documentation can be found the jury to me is still out on it. Thank you for giving me your comments on this it is much appreciated as I trust and value your opinions. If it turns out to a real tab, then it would be among the rarest Reich tabs in existence and researchers/collectors such as myself would have to rethink all aspects of NSFK collar insignia.

Mark
Hi Mark, no apology required, I've always respected your posts and held you in very high regard. :D

When I replied to the thread on WAF I was half expecting someone to pull the tab to pieces and question it's originality ... I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the NSFK never adopted the post '42 style tabs BUT the construction of the oak leaves (and especially the curved bottom one) is absolutely textbook in my opinion, and if it was on a velvet SS tab it would be perfect.

Cheers, Ian.

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 13 Jan 2016, 22:08

Ian:

Many thanks for your reply. The SS of course changed their in 1942 and the SA and NSKK designed and introduced new tabs for their Generals in late 1944 all of which was well documented in publications/orders/ etc. And the SA/NSKK did not copy the SS style. Nothing has been found on any NSFK changes. And as I said I find it hard to believe that Göring would have approved any change of style that was a copy of anything SS. So indeed it may be a rejected prototype.

Mark

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”