Help ID Sleeve Eagle & Breast Eagle

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
georgetx

Help ID Sleeve Eagle & Breast Eagle

Post by georgetx » 30 Apr 2016, 15:22

These came out of a local estate and I was hoping someone would provide me with some additional information. The sleeve eagle measures 3 1/2" x 2 3/4" and the breast eagle measures 4 3/8" x 1 3/4". Thanks in advance.

von thoma

Re: Help ID Sleeve Eagle & Breast Eagle

Post by von thoma » 30 Apr 2016, 15:50

Both SS y Kriegsmarine, are reproduction eagles ( machine-stitched ).
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

georgetx

Post by georgetx » 30 Apr 2016, 20:02

Wouldn't they have all been machine stiched?

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 01 May 2016, 19:38

Both SS y Kriegsmarine
Both SS and Kriegsmarine.

The SS eagle high quality must be in embroidery (silver) hand work, all ( BeVo ) eagles usually are machine-stitched.
9225321.jpg
9225321.jpg (62.29 KiB) Viewed 1024 times

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 02 May 2016, 13:38

von thoma wrote:
Both SS y Kriegsmarine

The SS eagle high quality must be in embroidery (silver) hand work, all ( BeVo ) eagles usually are machine-stitched.
9225321.jpg

I must disagree with Von Thoma.... SS sleeve eagles come in hand embroidered bullion, machine embroidered cotton (as your example), machine sewn embroidered "silk/rayon" (bevo), machine sewn silver wire ("Officer's bevo"), and "printed" (silk-screen printed on cotton)... most in several variations. Bullion and "silver wire" are usually considered Officers.... but could be privately purchased for wear by NCOs & EM.

I don't have access to my references at the moment, but the Navy looks good (except for the age damage to the "excess material background) and the SS looks o.k. at first glance...(Ian is much better on SS types than I am, especially without my references available)... I'd certainly wait for his opinion! (I'll PM him).
John G.

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 03 May 2016, 17:38

Several stores in the net are selling this model of Kriegsmarine eagle, with the same fabric ( Silk ) and sewn.....
That makes me suspicious...Good repros are made for reenactment, actually.
With the SS eagle, I'm certainly mistaken :?

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 08 May 2016, 14:17

John G. wrote:
von thoma wrote:
Both SS y Kriegsmarine

9225321.jpg

I must disagree with Von Thoma.... SS sleeve eagles come in hand embroidered bullion, machine embroidered cotton (as your example), machine sewn embroidered "silk/rayon" (bevo), machine sewn silver wire ("Officer's bevo"), and "printed" (silk-screen printed on cotton)... most in several variations. Bullion and "silver wire" are usually considered Officers.... but could be privately purchased for wear by NCOs & EM.

I don't have access to my references at the moment, but the Navy looks good (except for the age damage to the "excess material background) and the SS looks o.k. at first glance...(Ian is much better on SS types than I am, especially without my references available)... I'd certainly wait for his opinion! (I'll PM him).
John G.
Hi guys, as John says the eagle is a machine-embroidered 'RZM' pattern and perfectly original in my opinion.
MOST 'BeVo' machine-woven sleeve eagles are machine stitched on during the manufacture of the tunic but there are always instances where replacements have been hand-sewn on or people upgraded their EM/NCO insignia for silver 'flatwire' or hand embroidered collar tabs intended for officers.

I can't really comment on the KM breast eagle but it looks ok to me.

Ian

Ian

georgetx

Post by georgetx » 08 May 2016, 15:56

Thanks to everyone that replied. It seems very confusing to a novice on what is real and what is fake?
It appears that you must assume everything is fake and pay accordingly.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”