Uniform Identification

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
JacobB

Uniform Identification

Post by JacobB » 08 May 2016, 06:34

Hello,
I just recently joined this website to see if anyone knows what this uniform is. I volunteer for a World War II museum in a small town in the United States. Could anyone help me identifying this uniform? It is a dark green tunic and has a black collar. I will answer any questions to my best ability. Thanks for helping!
Attachments
img 4648.JPG
img 4648.JPG (117.49 KiB) Viewed 625 times
IMG_4649.JPG
IMG_4647.JPG
IMG_4646.JPG

HPL2008

Re: Uniform Identification

Post by HPL2008 » 08 May 2016, 11:15

The peaked cap is a service cap for an officer of the Zoll [Customs Service]. This type of cap cord was worn by the ranks from Oberzollsekretär/außerplanmäßiger Zollinspektor up to and including Ministerialrat.

The tunic is either an early-Third Reich Zoll tunic or from one of the various state police forces. (Double collar Litzen of this type and dark green tunics were worn by customs officials prior to the introduction of the grey-green uniforms and the rank collar patches in (unless I am mistaken) 1937, but I don't have reference material on this period. Police uniforms and -insignia differed between all states prior to the nationwide standardization in 1936/1937 but again, I don't have much material on the subject of state police uniforms, either.)
In any case, the Passanten worn underneath the shoulder boards indicate a retired officer.
Are those just reflections or do the buttons have a crest/symbol on them? If the latter is the case, can you show us a close-up?

The Swastika armband does not belong on this uniform.

Hope this helps.

JacobB

Post by JacobB » 08 May 2016, 15:00

Thank you very much! That is very informative. I will contact the owner and make changes to the armband.

I will take pictures today of the buttons and post them here as well.

JacobB

Post by JacobB » 08 May 2016, 15:52

And as a follow up statement/question. I think that the German military administration also had green color as their piping color, unless I am mistaken. Would it be possible that the tunic is a military administration tunic?

HPL2008

Post by HPL2008 » 08 May 2016, 17:37

JacobB wrote:And as a follow up statement/question. I think that the German military administration also had green color as their piping color, unless I am mistaken. Would it be possible that the tunic is a military administration tunic?
No; definitely not. Neither the uniform and cap themselves, nor any of the insignia match those worn by army officials.

JacobB

Post by JacobB » 08 May 2016, 19:49

HPL2008 wrote:
JacobB wrote:And as a follow up statement/question. I think that the German military administration also had green color as their piping color, unless I am mistaken. Would it be possible that the tunic is a military administration tunic?
No; definitely not. Neither the uniform and cap themselves, nor any of the insignia match those worn by army officials.
Okay. Thanks for clearing that up!

JacobB

Post by JacobB » 09 May 2016, 07:18

And also, the buttons are round and flat. What is seen on the buttons in the photographs are reflections. What kind of difference would that make?

HPL2008

Post by HPL2008 » 09 May 2016, 12:25

JacobB wrote:And also, the buttons are round and flat. What is seen on the buttons in the photographs are reflections. What kind of difference would that make?
A heraldic symbol might make it possible to attribute the uniform to a specific state (in case it is a state police uniform; but as I said, I am not even positive that it is that).

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”