Slip on insignia for shoulder boards questions

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
JackC18

Slip on insignia for shoulder boards questions

Post by JackC18 » 03 Jul 2016, 13:28

Just recently purchased an m40 tunic, and I'm wondering about the slip on shoulder boards pictured. How common was it that an SS Mann, Sturmmann or Rottenfuhrer would wear these instead of just an embroidered shoulder board? Was it common, what reasons did they have to wear a slip on instead of just putting on a regular shoulder board with Leibstandarte insignia? Also, this might seem like a noob question but Did infantry SS wear their division cuff titles during combat? Looking to recreate a Leibstandarte Rottenfuhrer combat uniform for collecting purposes. And if you could, could you tell me a little more about the low boots and jack boots? Which would be more usual for the above rank and division? I should think jackboots should be the prevalent form of footwear for such an elite division. But I've also heard they're pretty uncomfortable, does tradition trump comfort when it comes to this?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (13.27 KiB) Viewed 641 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (70.82 KiB) Viewed 641 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (18.98 KiB) Viewed 641 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (113.8 KiB) Viewed 641 times

Ian Hulley

Re: Slip on insignia for shoulder boards questions

Post by Ian Hulley » 04 Jul 2016, 17:27

The slip-ons were extremely common later in the war as they were an economy measure.

Ian

Dwight Pruitt

Re: Slip on insignia for shoulder boards questions

Post by Dwight Pruitt » 04 Jul 2016, 22:47

I believe the jack boot was the most common until 1942. By 1944 the low boot was the most common.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”