Romanian Helmet Camouflage

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
keith A

Romanian Helmet Camouflage

Post by keith A » 05 Sep 2016, 16:44

This photo shows soldiers with camouflage attached to their helmets. How was this achieved. I have never seen a Romanaan army helemt with camouflage straps but assume they had these.

regards

Keith

shamirnewell

Re: Romanian Helmet Camouflage

Post by shamirnewell » 06 Sep 2016, 17:13

Looks like chicken wire. The soldier with the orita in the center if you look closely I believe you can make the faint spider web of chicken wire.

georgica

Post by georgica » 07 Jan 2017, 01:57

Romanian Infantry came with these ideas when they did not have trenches built to protect themselves and suffered heavy losses ,These camouflages also helped in quick advancement in bushes terain.
On the other hand ,when snow skeeing soldiers named '' Vinatori de munte'' were dressed all in white advansing easily in enemy lines.
Romanian soldiers fought vigorously and many died heroes being placed in the front lines against Soviets.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 07 Mar 2017, 13:39

I can't see the photo, but chicken wire was definitely used on occasion.

Mud is also often seen on helmets to dull reflected light.

At Sevastopol Romanian infantry painted white stripes down the rear of their helmets to help distinguish them from the Soviet troops, who wore a similar colour uniform. This was to aid their own and German artillery spotters from bringing fire down on their own forces.

The cipher of the unpopular King Carol was also often knocked off the front of the helmet, though this was not a camouflage feature.

Cheers,

Sid.

OstFront_Ludwig

Post by OstFront_Ludwig » 13 Mar 2018, 04:20

Sid Guttridge wrote:I can't see the photo, but chicken wire was definitely used on occasion.

Mud is also often seen on helmets to dull reflected light.

At Sevastopol Romanian infantry painted white stripes down the rear of their helmets to help distinguish them from the Soviet troops, who wore a similar colour uniform. This was to aid their own and German artillery spotters from bringing fire down on their own forces.

The cipher of the unpopular King Carol was also often knocked off the front of the helmet, though this was not a camouflage feature.

Cheers,

Sid.

Sid, is there any photographic evidence you could perhaps post? I've seen quite a few photos that were taken during the Sevastopol Siege but have yet to find any Romanians with distinguishable white stripes. Regards!

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 13 Mar 2018, 19:43

Hi OstFront Ludwig,

Sorry, no photos. It is in Axworthy's books on Romania in WWII. As they were researched in Romanian archives, I tend to credit them.

Cheers,

Sid.

relicsandmilitaria

Post by relicsandmilitaria » 03 Mar 2019, 23:33

Hello!

I've started a website about Romanian Militaria used in ww1 and ww2, it's a work in progress, it lacks lots of text and descriptions, but about your interest in a photo of the white line on the back of the helmet check out the last photo in this photo article about the Dutch helmet used by the Romanian Army:

http://relicsandmilitaria.ro/dutch-m34- ... my-in-ww2/

Also, you will find other interesting ways of helmet camouflage I found in other ww2 photos.

Cheers!

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 04 Mar 2019, 15:53

Hi R&M,

Wow!

If that doesn't answer the questions on this thread, nothing will!

I will follow your site with interest.

I recommend it to others.

In appreciation,

Sid.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”