What collar piping is this?

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Fitzwilliam

What collar piping is this?

Post by Fitzwilliam » 30 Sep 2016, 09:10

I've run across this photo any number of times, it's a photograph of a group of SD men in Poland in 1939. Looking at it tonight, I noticed for the first time that it appears that the driver, a Rottenfuehrer, has got solid piping on his collar. The same with the Untersturmfuehrer in the back seat but that makes sense as he would have had solid twist aluminium piping as was appropriate for officers' collars. The two NCOs sport both tresse and black/aluminium twist piping on their collars and tabs appropriate for their ranks. The only explanation that I've been able to come up with, given my limited knowledge, is that the driver is sporting white twist on his collar from the period 1933-1934 when collar tabs (I'm only aware of it having been used for collar tabs) for ranks from SS-Mann to Obertruppfuehrer had white twist piping but, if that's the case, he's wearing more recent black/aluminium piped collar tabs with something that went out by Oct.1934. After '34, I understand it was solid aluminium for officers and black/aluminium twist for enlisted and NCOs. What's the explanation?

von thoma

Re: What collar piping is this?

Post by von thoma » 30 Sep 2016, 23:27

He could be using a officer's tunic...I see some strange in the sewing of the old style SS shoulder board.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”