Luftwaffe Airbase Firecrews

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
vogelbird

Luftwaffe Airbase Firecrews

Post by vogelbird » 30 Nov 2003, 18:26

This could be a tricky one: does anyone out there know what the uniform of Luftwaffe Airbase Firecrews was like? I have the helmet, an M34 pattern finished on glossy black with a 1cm white band painted around the crown, Luftwaffe adler and national shield (strangely applied to opposite of regulation sides, ie adler left and shield right) and the strap is of the Y type with press fastener release instead of buckle. The lining has the fittings for the leather neck guard. Although I have searched many uniform books I have not come across any photographs or descriptions of the uniforms of the crews who wore these. Anyone in the know??? 8)

JanDM

Luftwaffe Firercrew Foreign Volunteers "MELSBROEK"

Post by JanDM » 01 Nov 2006, 01:00

Hello my friend,

I feel so delited to finally meet someone who demands things about Luftwaffe Firecrew... Me to, I have so many questions about it, and indeed especially about Foreign Volunteers in Luftwaffe Firecrew. You have ONE BIG CHANCE MY FRIEND! ! ! ! !

My grandfater, who still lives, and from whom I still have pics and documents from during WW2, was a foreign dutch "volunteer" (in fact: no other choice than volunteering, but that we all know about most people having seen service as a 'collaborator'), as a Luftwaffe Fireman at the Luftwaffe airbase of Melsbroek, Belgium. In fact he was member of the "Flämische Feuerschutzwacht", seeing service in a construction implemented as 'Wehrmachtgefolges'. Therefore he musted act under the German Law. These people were NOT RANKED onto there uniforms, although there existed level-ranks written in the ausweiss-pasports. These written ranks were given in function of months/years service. Only outside distinguishing mark was a painted circle around there civic M34 grey helmets: this circle could either be very thin/narrow or very big or 2 circles. The circles were usually painted in white color.

These people were NOT armed: so although a lot of people like to call these guys - who gave every day there life to save others - colaborators, they did NOT fight on the enemy side. In fact, a lot of them even commited crewel things against there german collegues. For example: a certain day my grandfather trew diamond-powder in the fuel of a Messershmit...some seconds after launching, he felt down. Or stealing nightlamps to lighten the airfield...and so on.

The wear of clothes: the cloths were or green coloured, or grey. My grandfather's cloths were grey. He wore a Luftwaffe belt, a Luftwaffe sign on the right pocketside of his jacket and he had an axe. Typical black german boots, a darkgrey Luftwaffe-decalled civic M34 helmet and a grey Luftwaffe-eagled fieldhat (or how do you call these hats in English?).

So, I hope this is from a certain help for you.

I hope that the people of this forum make a copy of this reply into the topic of foreign volunteers.

Last but not least: a big hello to all of you, from me as a new member of this forum.

Greetz
Jan

Laurence Strong

Post by Laurence Strong » 01 Nov 2006, 15:59

The tunic was termed "Rockbluse" (tunic-blouse) it was made of dark blue cloth and buttoned by 8 aluminium-colored buttons. Two brest pockets were of the patch-type variety with center pleats. The hip pockets were diagonally inserted slash types.
Cut and design of the black trousers were identical to the standard luftwaffe trousers.

Hope this helps
Attachments
File0150.jpg
File0150.jpg (115.83 KiB) Viewed 2291 times

Laurence Strong

Post by Laurence Strong » 01 Nov 2006, 16:02

Air Base Fire Departments

the Air Base Fire Department (Fliegerhorstfeuerwehr) performed the fire protection and fire control duties at air bases and airfields, and at technical installations of the Luftwaffe such as depots, firing ranges, POL depots, ammunition depots and plants etc.

At the air bases etc, the Fire Departments were organized into "Extinguisher Groups" (Loschgruppe) made up of 14 - 18 men

Made up of three ranks, the lowest was;

Feuerwehrmann
Attachments
JAC1006013 Feuermann obv.jpg
JAC1006013 Feuermann obv.jpg (41.92 KiB) Viewed 2286 times

Laurence Strong

Post by Laurence Strong » 01 Nov 2006, 16:03

Oberfeuerwehrmann
Attachments
JAC1006014 Oberfeuermann obv.jpg
JAC1006014 Oberfeuermann obv.jpg (39.86 KiB) Viewed 2283 times

Laurence Strong

Post by Laurence Strong » 01 Nov 2006, 16:04

Loschmeister, they were also issued with collar tabs that had the same devices on them
Attachments
JAC1006015 Loschmiester obv.jpg
JAC1006015 Loschmiester obv.jpg (44.31 KiB) Viewed 2279 times

Laurence Strong

Post by Laurence Strong » 01 Nov 2006, 16:08

Oberbrandmeister, I have the pair.
Attachments
Brandmeister.jpg
Brandmeister.jpg (151.43 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
Last edited by Laurence Strong on 01 Nov 2006, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

JanDM

Post by JanDM » 01 Nov 2006, 16:28

I believe you guys are speaking now about germen guys at the airports and their cloths...while we were talking about foreign volunteers... or is that not correct?

So if people among you have pics of foreign volunteers at airbases in other countries than germany (airbases in france, belgium, holland, etc) please ad them at this topic.

Jan

Laurence Strong

Post by Laurence Strong » 01 Nov 2006, 16:38

I will look to see what I have.
Last edited by Laurence Strong on 01 Nov 2006, 16:42, edited 2 times in total.

Laurence Strong

Re: Luftwaffe Airbase Firecrews

Post by Laurence Strong » 01 Nov 2006, 16:40

vogelbird wrote:This could be a tricky one: does anyone out there know what the uniform of Luftwaffe Airbase Firecrews was like? I have the helmet, an M34 pattern finished on glossy black with a 1cm white band painted around the crown, Luftwaffe adler and national shield (strangely applied to opposite of regulation sides, ie adler left and shield right) and the strap is of the Y type with press fastener release instead of buckle. The lining has the fittings for the leather neck guard. Although I have searched many uniform books I have not come across any photographs or descriptions of the uniforms of the crews who wore these. Anyone in the know??? 8)
Looks to me the start was...you were talking about foreign members.

vogelbird

LUFTWAFFE AIRBASE FIRE CREWS

Post by vogelbird » 01 Nov 2006, 20:50

HELLO THERE,
MANY THANKS GUYS FOR SHARING THAT VERY INTERESTING INFORMATION AND IMAGES WITH ME. I AM A LITTLE MORE ENLIGHTENED NOW, AS HITHERTO, I HAVE SEEN NO DETAILS ABOUT THE LUFTWAFFE AIR BASE FIRE CREWS (GERMAN OR FOREIGN VOLUNTEERS),IN ANY REFERENCE WORKS. IF ANYONE HAS ANY MORE, I'D LIKE VERY MUCH TO SEE THEM. THE HELMET WHICH INITIALLY SPARKED MY INTEREST, I FOUND IN THE LOFT WHEN I WAS A KID. MY FATHER TOLD ME THAT HE GOT IT FROM AN OFFICE IN THE CAPTURED GERMAN AIRFIELD AT STADE IN 1945.IT WAS NOT UNTIL MANY YEARS LATER THAT I LEARNED THAT IT WAS A FIRE CREW HELMET WHEN I SAW LUDWIG BAER'S DESCRIPTION.

REGARDS VOGELBIRD :)

vogelbird

LUFTWAFFE AIRBASE FIRE CREWS

Post by vogelbird » 01 Nov 2006, 20:50

HELLO THERE,
MANY THANKS GUYS FOR SHARING THAT VERY INTERESTING INFORMATION AND IMAGES WITH ME. I AM A LITTLE MORE ENLIGHTENED NOW, AS HITHERTO, I HAVE SEEN NO DETAILS ABOUT THE LUFTWAFFE AIR BASE FIRE CREWS (GERMAN OR FOREIGN VOLUNTEERS),IN ANY REFERENCE WORKS. IF ANYONE HAS ANY MORE, I'D LIKE VERY MUCH TO SEE THEM. THE HELMET WHICH INITIALLY SPARKED MY INTEREST, I FOUND IN THE LOFT WHEN I WAS A KID. MY FATHER TOLD ME THAT HE GOT IT FROM AN OFFICE IN THE CAPTURED GERMAN AIRFIELD AT STADE IN 1945.IT WAS NOT UNTIL MANY YEARS LATER THAT I LEARNED THAT IT WAS A FIRE CREW HELMET WHEN I SAW LUDWIG BAER'S DESCRIPTION.

REGARDS VOGELBIRD :)

new2this

Post by new2this » 05 Nov 2006, 02:14

Vogelbird, I'd love to see a photo of that helmet, if you still have it.

wuerttemberg

Tunic Fliegerhorstfeuerwehr civil Personel

Post by wuerttemberg » 11 Nov 2006, 21:31

Hello you, I am new at this topic. But I can help if you want. I have a complete original tunic of the Loeschmeister with trousers and visor cap and a tunic of the Unterbrandmeister from 1940.
Both tunics are from the area arround Memmingen. I had much luck to get them in excellent condition from a near Firestation. At time I have a problem with my digi-camera. Will place picts as soon its possible.

Regards, Sascha

Now I have some picts for you...
Attachments
LOEM_05.JPG
LOEM_05.JPG (108.67 KiB) Viewed 2111 times
LOEM_04.jpg
LOEM_04.jpg (91.02 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
LOEM_01.JPG
LOEM_01.JPG (165.45 KiB) Viewed 2110 times

wuerttemberg

Tunic Fliegerhorstfeuerwehr civil Personel

Post by wuerttemberg » 15 Nov 2006, 00:44