SS tuxedo

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Eagle's Nest

SS tuxedo

Post by Eagle's Nest » 14 May 2004, 03:44

Greetings ALL! I am trying to find ANY info on SS Tuxedos. I have a fantastic library but the info I have gathered on these is minimal. I constructed a fair repro from the portrait of Karl Wolf on the Discovery channel special "The History of the SS". After gathering more info, I stripped the jacket down and restarted it. I still need more. Does ANYONE have ANY information on these?
Attachments
LAH1.jpg
This one is supposed to be original, but it's odd having pre 1939 Shoulder boards with post 1942 collar tabs(???)
LAH1.jpg (37.6 KiB) Viewed 11941 times

Steiner

Post by Steiner » 14 May 2004, 16:37

If this can help you ....

Mehr sein als scheinen
Attachments
ss.jpg
ss.jpg (117.36 KiB) Viewed 11913 times

Eagle's Nest

SS TUXEDO

Post by Eagle's Nest » 14 May 2004, 16:55

Thank You! That's a new one on me. Where did this page come from? I have the Mollo SS Collected 6 volumes, the LAH Uniforms & Trad., and The Ballantine SS. Could you possibly email me a scan?, the writing is too small to read.
Attachments
Shirt.jpg
This one was on ebay, the guy claimed it was original. The buttons are wrong and the cuff title looks horrible. Opinions?
Shirt.jpg (26.14 KiB) Viewed 11885 times

Eagle's Nest

SS TUXEDO

Post by Eagle's Nest » 14 May 2004, 16:58

Here's the Karl Wolf Portrait~
Attachments
wolff_portrait.jpg
Anyone have a color version of this?
wolff_portrait.jpg (14.67 KiB) Viewed 11882 times

WTW26

Re: SS TUXEDO

Post by WTW26 » 14 May 2004, 18:43

Eagle's Nest wrote:Greetings ALL! I am trying to find ANY info on SS Tuxedos. I have a fantastic library but the info I have gathered on these is minimal. I constructed a fair repro from the portrait of Karl Wolf on the Discovery channel special "The History of the SS". After gathering more info, I stripped the jacket down and restarted it. I still need more. Does ANYONE have ANY information on these?
The tuxedo on your photo looks like a fake to me. Here's a pic of an original one for comparison.
Attachments
Rock=SS-Gesellschaftsanzug.jpg
Rock=SS-Gesellschaftsanzug.jpg (15.31 KiB) Viewed 11858 times

Eagle's Nest

SS TUXEDO

Post by Eagle's Nest » 14 May 2004, 18:51

Thanks! Beautiful! Is that yours? I am looking for all the details~I'm aware the collar tabs had 4 small scews which passed thru eyelets in the collar, the shoulder boards where of the same style as the summer tunics (Removable)and had the screw-back buttons for the SBs, the front buttons were held on with "S" rings. Do you have any info contrary to these "facts".
The 1st pic or the 2nd pic looks like a fake?
This one here is mine. It's the first version that was taken before I stripped it. It is now a blank jacket for the moment.
Attachments
scana1.jpg
This all started when I saw the one at the begining of the Tinto Brass movie "Salon Kitty"
scana1.jpg (25.46 KiB) Viewed 11850 times

WTW26

Post by WTW26 » 14 May 2004, 20:50

Sorry, can't help you with the details - this photo is all I've got :oops: But I can say that your "first version" was incorrect: shoulder boards of the Waffen-SS were never used on tuxedos, only those of the Allgemeine SS. And I meant the very first pic, speaking of the fake.

Eagle's Nest

SS TUXEDO

Post by Eagle's Nest » 14 May 2004, 21:07

Sorry for the misunderstanding. What I meant was that this tuxedo in the pick was my first version, in other words; my first attempt. In "Uniforms, Organization, & History Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler~Vol. 1, Stan Cook & James Bender State on page 154 :"the shoulder straps were on both shoulders and in the format used by the army, i.e., they now denoted the rank of the wearer rather than the former shoulder strap of the SS which denoted the rank group." Y'see, thisis why I'm asking, alot of info seems to be contradictory. I wish I had a time machine!!!
The first pic was sent to me by the woman who now runs a 3rd Reich Militaria website. Terribly for her, her husband who ran it was murdered. I can't remember the site off hand, I will track it down and post it. Her name is Christine if I remember correctly. She claimed it to be authentic and If and when she decided to sell it, she wanted ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS!

HPL2008

Post by HPL2008 » 14 May 2004, 23:24

I'm aware the collar tabs had 4 small scews which passed thru eyelets in the collar, the shoulder boards where of the same style as the summer tunics (Removable)and had the screw-back buttons for the SBs, the front buttons were held on with "S" rings. Do you have any info contrary to these "facts".
Removable shoulder boards, screw-on collar patches and "S"-ring button attachments were typical for the white summer tunics, as these needed frequent dry-cleaning or washing. They were not used for the evening dress uniform.
The first pic was sent to me by the woman who now runs a 3rd Reich Militaria website. Terribly for her, her husband who ran it was murdered. I can't remember the site off hand, I will track it down and post it.
That would be the Third Reich Depot.
She claimed it to be authentic and If and when she decided to sell it, she wanted ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS!
It doesn't look convincing to me at all... (especially the cut of the collar and the material of the lapels)
I have the Mollo SS Collected 6 volumes, the LAH Uniforms & Trad., and The Ballantine SS.
Highly recommended for detailed, high-quality photographs of the black evening dress tunic is vol. II of Michael D. Beaver's "Uniforms Of The Waffen-SS" series from Schiffer Publishing.

WTW26

Post by WTW26 » 14 May 2004, 23:30

Well, Cook&Bender are obviously mistaken. Field-style shoulder straps would never be used on black "political" uniform. You can be sure of that.
$100000 for that suspiciously-looking jacket?! I think it'd make a good laughing matter at a collectors' forum.

Eagle's Nest

SS TUXEDO

Post by Eagle's Nest » 14 May 2004, 23:49

I am so glad I joined here! You guys are Great! You are right, it's 3rd Reich Depot. I would like to gather more info if anyone has any more comments or pics. I'd like to thank you all for the help you've given me so far,It's Appreciated! :lol:

Jeremy Chan

Post by Jeremy Chan » 15 May 2004, 03:25

Hello! Check Christoph Awender's site, I don't have many photos myself but shoulder straps weren't on the SS mess dress. They had Allgemeine-SS/NSDAP style single shoulder strap on the right-hand shoulder. Aiguillettes were worn on the mess dress uniform.
US$100 000 is a crazy price, but the SS mess dress uniforms are extremely rare, with a number of them having been destroyed during the war :( . But I would pay nearly that price for one. I'd even give my leg for one them seeing how rare they are. I can't guarantee the authenticity of yours, Eagle's.
http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/
Cheers :?

Eagle's Nest

SS TUXEDO

Post by Eagle's Nest » 15 May 2004, 03:51

Danke Herr Oberst! I have plans to have the Mess jacket manufactured. We are trying to get info on the Tuxedo here. The guy in "Salon Kitty" is seen wearing a "hollywood" version of the mess jacket (The piping is a high luster) It still looks awesome!

I checked out the link, I didn't see any Tuxedos or Mess Jackets. Very cool site! As soon as I can assemble a tuxedo, I'm going to have them manufactured as well. I want everything to be as close to Original as possible! I've dealt with MANY companies and have finally gotten a hold of a small FEW who can actually produce High Quality insignia.

Hopefully someday, these things will get produced...?
OPINIONS?

Jeremy Chan

Post by Jeremy Chan » 15 May 2004, 04:03

Hello Eagle's Nest!
Christoph hasn't finished off the part on SS-unifroms on his site, but check this, http://chrito.users1.50megs.com/uniform ... sanzug.htm
the SS mess dress uniform was similar to that of the KM's and LW's, however, collar patches weren't on the LW mess dress. You're constructing a repro? Are you building a mock-iup or is that for a movie? Some of the photos I mentioned are in the book Nazi Insignia by E. W. W. Fowler, which I saw in my local library. It was also published as Nazi Regalia.
All the same, good luck!

Eagle's Nest

SS TUXEDO

Post by Eagle's Nest » 15 May 2004, 04:35

SWEET!!! I love them! Talk about a classic look! I have hopes of producing them at a fair price for those (Like Me) who have NO CHANCE of ever finding or even affording an Original. The vision of a Large dining hall, SS Men and their ladies dancing to a live band playing Classical Mozart, Bach and Wagner. A reenactment Dinner Party if you will. Waffenrocks, white summer tunics, SS Capes, Piped field blouses....Cigarette holders...Can you see it? A cloak room, a hat check girl...Hennesy flowing....a table full of officer's visor caps...LAH enlisted men in their white dinner jackets serving dinner...ah...Am I crazy? Does anyone else see the classic splendour of this serene setting?
Yes, I have the Nazi Regaliabook and the SS Regaliaone also. Both the large coffee-table format ones and the 2 small Ballantine ones!

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”