Armshields, SS nurses Norway & Denmark

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Hallandsen

Armshields, SS nurses Norway & Denmark

Post by Hallandsen » 08 Aug 2005, 10:45

HI
Once upon a Time(as any good Adventure) I got some 200 pics from Norwegians in the Waffen-SS, party and others, those hosted from a collector in Norway, and originally from the Norwegian member of the Party/WSS, Björn Østring.
The pics are now widely spread in many books, and other sourches.
One pic sported a Norwegian SS nurse, which also on her uniform had the sponsoring members badge (stöttende medlem)for the Norwegian SS(maybee the Germanic SS Norway)
The armshield always bothered me, It looked like some souvenier badge, or a badge for some member of the local bicycle club.
In the beginnging of the SS Norwegian Legion a Flag was used, and this very widely, size and manufature as the ordinary Norwegian Flag, made in a wowen quality.I will put both Armbadges here, together with one made as a 3 part badge.
I can recommande http://www.dereksmilitaria.no/ for those further interested.
The closest badge to compare with are those armshields made as tentative use by OT, but as I got a similar badge for a Danish nurse obtained with Kreigsmedaille, dif. badges and pics I wonder if there have been any special badges for Red Cross Nurses from different nationalities at all?
Kind Regard Hallandsen
Attachments
a1.jpg
red cross norway
a1.jpg (50.33 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
Last edited by Hallandsen on 09 Aug 2005, 19:27, edited 4 times in total.

Hallandsen

norwegian nurse

Post by Hallandsen » 08 Aug 2005, 10:49

Norwegian Nurse in Waffen-SS with armshield
Attachments
a2.jpg
norw.nurse
a2.jpg (75.06 KiB) Viewed 3195 times

Hallandsen

Norwegian flag,

Post by Hallandsen » 08 Aug 2005, 10:54

Here are the Norwegian Flag of Nationality widely used by male members of the Norwegian SS Legion, this later withdrawn as a german type of Armshield was worn by members from Norway in Waffen-SS.
Attachments
a1.jpg
norw.flag.ss
a1.jpg (63.7 KiB) Viewed 3195 times

Hallandsen

norw.nurse

Post by Hallandsen » 08 Aug 2005, 11:05

As you will see, this pic sports very well the Uniform that was special to the Norwegian Nurses in Waffen-SS, This Uniform also had a chick basket-construction to the left for carriyng personal things. The Buttons where metal, grey, or brownish, not pebbled, but blank, Buttons you can also see on NSB Labour service(Arbeitsdienst)from the Netherlands.
On the left arm, the German SS eagle above this the Norwegian Flag, and as a widely tradition in Norway, several pin-badges could be worn, those from the Jente-Hird(Girls-NS-formation)the National-sports-compatition-walk-badge from -1941, and those badges hosted as a nurse, or education in the Red-Cross.
In the beginning they used a Red-Cross cuff/armbind with the Genfer Cross, stamped with German Stamps, this on the forearm(left)where normally the SS Cuffband was worn.
Some are also wearing a SS Cuffband, those pics in my collection are only that of the Wiking Division, but Nurses working with the Ski-Jäger Btl. of Norway also sported the german Gebrigsjägerabzeichen, and some are also pictured waring the armbadge of the Finish-SS the wihite Finish Lion on Black.
Attachments
a2.jpg
norw.ss nurse
a2.jpg (52.2 KiB) Viewed 3195 times

Hallandsen

flag 3 part

Post by Hallandsen » 08 Aug 2005, 11:12

A 3 part construction Flag of the Norwegian SS or maybee another party section or maybee nothing at all that have antyhing to do with the WWII at all, but sewn on a black piece of cloth, and found with a collar-patch with a grey metal Norwegian Lions badge upon a green collar-patch for the Norwegian NS order police.
Hi from Hallandsen
Last edited by Hallandsen on 08 Aug 2005, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

Hallandsen

noflag

Post by Hallandsen » 08 Aug 2005, 11:15

norw.flag.
Attachments
a1 001.jpg
norweg.flag
a1 001.jpg (42.93 KiB) Viewed 3189 times

Hallandsen

norwegian badge

Post by Hallandsen » 08 Aug 2005, 11:28

The Norwegian Red Cross Nurses, in Norway named Frontsisters(Frontsöster)obtained a special badge, for years this was only known as a tentative skech in the littlejohn/Foreign Legions of the III Reich books.
The badge features the Red Cross sister with a wounded soldier, and sports a design nearly that of the male members Waffen-SS Frontfighters badge.
The story goes, some of them where found in boxes(=the story of the so-known Danish Schalburg Cross)after the War in Oslo in the makers plant, only few surrvieved, and those should be seen in a Norwegian-museum of Defence(any Norwegian Collectors may gladly participate here!!)
The Badge shown here should be taken as a replica just close to any specifications for the badge. The maker/origin I don`t now, but I got this badge from a estimated dealer in Norway, bought and described as a modern copy. As to recognice this from the original, the neadle on the back a placed upside down, this to those off you that may be offered a badge, which easely could be called a variant.
Attachments
a1.jpg
norweg.nurses badge
a1.jpg (66.35 KiB) Viewed 3188 times

Bjørn from Norway
In memoriam

Post by Bjørn from Norway » 08 Aug 2005, 13:04

Nice pictures!
The armshield on the first picture, with "Norwegen" on it, could be bought at several canteens in Germany, and was not produced for the Norwegian nurses. So the story says.

B.

Hallandsen

Armshield

Post by Hallandsen » 08 Aug 2005, 17:40

Hi Björn-
Thank`s for the Info. . There are some other shields similiary looking, , red with a black lion and wording Flandern, and others to.
you write canteens, would it bee a shield for foreign workers in Germany? It seems to me, , there are no makers name on it-it is stated that only 5 have survieved in collections in Norway-
As I had the Nurse pic several years before seeing the real badge I was really wondering. The pic are also to be seen on the www page mentioned by me, but this is not posted by me, the pic may be well known in Norway.
If you know other pics with the badge, this would be interesting.
Hi from Hallandsen

Bjørn from Norway
In memoriam

Post by Bjørn from Norway » 09 Aug 2005, 14:07

Hello!
I believe members of "Germansk Landtjeneste" also tended to buy these. I am certainly not sure, but I believe indeed that these shields were aimed at Norwegian workers in Germany. I have also seen a picture of a Norwegian RAD member with one of these shields.

If there are 5 shields in collections in Norway today, or more - or less I do not know. But I have also heard that rumour.

B

Hallandsen

Post by Hallandsen » 09 Aug 2005, 18:29

Hi Björn & others
I am aware of the Germanische Landdienst, the Danish participants was those from the DNSAP Youth,(NSU&P)They wore NSU Uniform or the German Uniform of the HJ(The Black winther model)They wore the cuffband of the GL &, HJ tradebadges and I have pics of them, but they did`nt wore any armshield, I would like to se a Norwegian one if possible.
The Danish Danish Red Cross nurses(estimate about 200)did not wore a special Uniform as those from Norway.
It has not been possible for me to obtain any portrait of such a member, and I only have a pic which was released in the magazine "Daggry"(Aufbruch ore Devènir)that was sold in DK, and other Countries, devoted to the Germanic Frontfighters,and this sports a Danish nurse(with a Danish Flag-armshield)a Norwegian Nurse with Cuffband(no name visible) and maybee a German sister, showing the ribbon for the EK II.
The Norwegian sister are also present with a ribbon. Do you know what the badge on the Norwegian sister look like, and what is the purpuse/name of it.
Hi Hallandse
Attachments
a1 001.jpg
red cross sisters
a1 001.jpg (72.04 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
Last edited by Hallandsen on 09 Aug 2005, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.

Hallandsen

armshield

Post by Hallandsen » 09 Aug 2005, 18:35

HI
The Armshield of the Danish nurse could be that posted here, but there are several types of these.
It seems that the Danish nurses wore the German Red Cross Womens Uniform, with named Triangle Badge. Most of the pics I have sports those wearing the armshield on the left upper arm, and only on the nurses working suit.
Attachments
a1.jpg
a1
a1.jpg (37.2 KiB) Viewed 3082 times
Last edited by Hallandsen on 09 Aug 2005, 19:07, edited 2 times in total.

Hallandsen

shield from a nurses collection

Post by Hallandsen » 09 Aug 2005, 18:43

in 1968 I got this Armshield together with a collection of souveniers and belongins to a former Danish Red Cross Nurse.
The contents was the Danish ordinary Sisters Badge, a pic(as a childrens/pediatric nurse) some stamps from Boehmia et Moravia(Böhmen-Mähren)2 different mini-redcross flags, a Volks Wohlfahrt medal, a pin for this organisation and the Medal to the German Kreigsmedaille,
The armshield are made of silk, handembroidered legend of DK, and is posted here
Hallandsen.
Attachments
a1.jpg
a1shield
a1.jpg (62.52 KiB) Viewed 3081 times

Hallandsen

armshield

Post by Hallandsen » 09 Aug 2005, 18:50

This Armshield are also made in silk screen printing and come close to all those different BeVO Armshields, all silk-wowen, and some of them are also found as tentative sketches for use in the OT,
Attachments
a1.jpg
a1 silk sc.
a1.jpg (54.37 KiB) Viewed 3076 times

Hallandsen

lions armshield

Post by Hallandsen » 09 Aug 2005, 18:58

Not to this topic, but may also have been used by Danes, as presumed to be in the Organisation Todt, only found as an Tentative sketch, but I was really surprised to see this really made.
Hallandsen
Attachments
a4.jpg
a4 shield lion
a4.jpg (53.67 KiB) Viewed 3073 times

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”