Hüseyin Hüsnü Emir's "Yildirim" - Mystery English edition

Discussions on the final era of the Ottoman Empire, from the Young Turk Revolution of 1908 until the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923.
Skarpskytten

Hüseyin Hüsnü Emir's "Yildirim" - Mystery English edition

Post by Skarpskytten » 15 Oct 2014, 20:24

Now, Hüseyin Hüsnü Emir's book "Yildirim", first published in 1921 and re-published in 2002, is one of the most important books on the war in Palestine 1917-18, right? I have been thinking for some time that, its a bummer I don't know Turkish. (The WorldCat-file of the book can be found here: http://www.worldcat.org/title/yldrm/ocl ... referer=br).

Well, it turns out that there is an English version of this book somewhere in the world. On the Desert Column web-site (http://alh-research.tripod.com/turk.htm) the first 188 pages of the book has been put up on-line, in typewritten English. Unfortunately, there is no information on the web-site where this book can be found. I have tried to locate it, but my Google Fu is no good.

So, to conclude, does any-one know where this English edition of "Yldirim" can be found?

Skarpskytten

Re: Hüseyin Hüsnü Emir's "Yildirim" - Mystery English editio

Post by Skarpskytten » 19 Oct 2014, 21:45

No one?

Okay, let me try an other angle on this before I give up.

The "Australian Light Horse"-page was made by Bill Worelee, who also has an account on this web-page. But the web page hasn't been updated since 2010 and Bill hasn't logged in here since 10 Jun 2013. Does anyone know what happened to Bill? Ill-health, or worse? Is there any way to get in contact with him - I'm guessing there is little point in contacting him through this forum, if he hasn't been logged in for over a year.

stevebecker

Post by stevebecker » 23 Oct 2014, 00:57

Mate,

Sorry I got distracted.

Bill W as far as I can find has left the area of WWI research, his site is still going but the forum was discontinued and all data lost to us?

I afraid I don't know where Bill found these documents you are after, as he was a wiz on the computer I am afriad I am not?

We are lucky he found what he did and we are left to check what he found out, but cant give you any more details.

If you need any thing on the Aussie Light Horse during the war, I am your man, and with help from our Good Turkish mates can also give what we know from the Turkish side of the house.

Sorry mate.

S.B

Skarpskytten

Post by Skarpskytten » 24 Oct 2014, 20:15

stevebecker wrote:Bill W as far as I can find has left the area of WWI research
Well, that's sad.
stevebecker wrote:I afraid I don't know where Bill found these documents you are after
I'm pretty certain that he found it an a British or Australian archive. I might have to do a thorough search and see if anything comes up.
stevebecker wrote:If you need any thing on the Aussie Light Horse during the war, I am your man, and with help from our Good Turkish mates can also give what we know from the Turkish side of the house.
Well, there is no lack of information on what the British did in the Middle East, but the turks, the turks.

What I want to do is to write a complete OOB for Yildirim Army Group in October to December -17. Can't do it without "Yildirim" in English.

Thanks for the reply!

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 07 Nov 2014, 12:44

My friend Bill Woerkee requesyed a copy of Yildirim from me for a couple years ago. I found the book and posted it to Australia. Recently I wrote to Bill and got the following answer
Hi Tosun, sorry for the delay but I missed your message.
I have uploaded the complete English translation of "Yilderim" by Lieutenant Colonel Hussein Husni Amir as a torrent file at this address:

http://piratebaytorrents.info/11340525/ ... PB.torrent
piratebaytorrents.info
piratebaytorrents.info
You can pass this link on to the person making the enquiry.
Go to this link for all the items on Turkey I have uploaded:

http://thepiratebay.se/user/billbo53/
billbo53 - TPB
thepiratebay.se

T.S: I hope this will solve your problems
cheers from Ankara
Tosun
Last edited by Tosun Saral on 07 Nov 2014, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 07 Nov 2014, 12:55

Bill is good and happili living in Australia. My younger son Emre who is an asst. at the Uni of Hacettepe in Ankara visited him this July and spend a night in his home. I thank to Axis who acquinted me Bill and many other distinquished friends whole over the world.
Attachments
bill.jpg

Skarpskytten

Re: Hüseyin Hüsnü Emir's "Yildirim" - Mystery English edition

Post by Skarpskytten » 23 Nov 2014, 13:16

Tosun, this is just great. Thank you so much - and thanks to Bill too!

Return to “The end of the Ottoman Empire 1908-1923”