"Resurrecting Ismail Hakki"

Discussions on the final era of the Ottoman Empire, from the Young Turk Revolution of 1908 until the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923.
Peter H

"Resurrecting Ismail Hakki"

Post by Peter H » 06 Jun 2011, 00:09

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com ... ail-hakki/
For eight months, through the better part of 1915, the two close friends, Lt. Colonel Mustafa Kemal and Major Ismail Hakki, fought alongside each other in the Gallipoli Campaign of WWI. A photograph was taken of my grandfather’s company during a break in the action. Immediately after the cessation of hostilities and the withdrawal of the ANZACS, he traveled briefly to Edirne (Roman Adrianople) on assignment, and while there, on January 1, 1916, had a photograph taken of himself. Inscribed on the back, the message reads in old Turkish (right-to-left), “Sevgili Teyze” (“Dear aunt”), I’ve survived eight months of action in Gallipoli. I will soon leave for the Eastern Front to face the Arabs and their recalcitrant English leader.”

Before leaving for the Eastern Front, however, he visited the small town of Biga, lying to the east of Çanakkale and Troy, there to see his young family, ensconced in the town since shortly before the war began. There were his wife and three young children, two years apart in age — the oldest, a daughter; the middle, a son; and the youngest, another son, my father, “Mustafa Kemal”— named after Ismail Hakki’s childhood friend, and in accord with his wishes. (Last names were not introduced into Turkey until 1934. It can make genealogical research a hopelessly difficult task.)

After only a day or two with his family, however, Ismail Hakki had to leave again, this time to fight on the Eastern Front. There he would die, fighting against the Arabs and their “recalcitrant” English leader, T. E. Lawrence, who would become known as Lawrence of Arabia. My grandfather’s body would presumably be interred somewhere in southeastern Turkey....

The "Eastern Front" was Mesopotamia? Hejaz?
Attachments
Ismail_Hakki.jpg
Ismail_Hakki.jpg (68.11 KiB) Viewed 667 times

Tosun Saral

Re: "Resurrecting Ismail Hakki"

Post by Tosun Saral » 06 Jun 2011, 12:06

Tank Staff Col.(R) Prof. Dr. İsmet Görgülü "On Yıllık Harbin Kadrosu 1912-1922" ( Personal of Ten Years Long War 1912-1922)
in p. 70 gives following information about a Major İsmail Hakkı Bey:
3rd Crithea Battle June 4-6 1915
"Left Wing Commander of the 9th Div. major İsmail Hakkı wounded on 4th June 1915 and left the front. Maj. Kazım the commander of 38th Inf. R. was made commander of Left Wing."

on p. 76
Lt. Col. İsmail Hakkı Commander of 31st Inf. R. of the 31st R. of the 3rd Div. during Zıgındere (Gully ravine) Battle in July.5th.
p. 142
During 2nd Canal expedition a Lt. Col.İsmail Hakkı commanded the 31st Inf. R.

His grand child gives no more infomation about him. The only İsmail Hakkı that fought both at Gallipoli and Sina-Palestine front is İsmail Hakkı Koray.
Source: Retired Cav. Col. Şerif Güralp mentions the name of commanding officer of 31st Inf. Regiment in his book "Bir Askerin Günlüğünden, Çanakkale Cephesinden Filistin'e" ( From Diary of a soldier: From Çanakkale/Gallipoli to Palastine) p.143 as Lt. Col. İsmail Hakkı Bey ( Retired Tuğbay Koray)

TS's Nota: (Tugbay is a tittle between Col. and Brigadier given to those veterans of WW1 and War of Independance who were not staff officers. Only staff officers could be able to promote to a pasha)

He tells how he med Ret. Tuğbay İsmail Hakkı Koray on March 4th 1956.

"One day while I was archiving my old papers I found the adress of İsmail Hakkı Bey which stated the following adress: Caddebostan Kiosk number 292, İstanbul. I decided to visit him I wanted to show my manuscript of my diaries about battles in Çanakkale and Refa.
I knocked the door. A beautiful young lady opened the door. I asked "Is this kiosk of İsmail Hakkı Bey?"
-Yes Efendi.
She took me in a large saloon. After a few minutes İsmail Hakkı Bey came in. He smiled and said "Well come Şerif Bey"
I hurried towards him. I kissed both his hands. He kissed my eyes. We sat closely to each other a men in 84 years and me 70 years. I asked him "How are you my Commander?"
He answered "I can hardly speak I have no theeth in my mouth, My artificial theeth hurts my mouth. I hear hard."
I responded "My hand trembles my Commander"

May both Ghazi rest in peace and in light.
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... Hakk%C4%B1

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 07 Jun 2011, 09:52

Another Maj. İsmail Hakkı commander of 14th Regiment KIA at Suvla on Turkish time: July 29th 1331, Christ time: August 10th 1915.His family got the familyname "Oktürk" after the new civil reforms of new Turkish Republic.

source: Harb Mecmuası, (War Magazine)
Attachments
Bnb. İsmail Hakkı.jpg
Bnb. İsmail Hakkı.jpg (16.64 KiB) Viewed 632 times

stevebecker

Post by stevebecker » 03 Jan 2015, 04:27

Mates,

Hakki appears to be used by a number of Turkish officers during the war?

31st Regt - LtCol Ismail Hakki Bey (Koray)

14th Regt - Maj Ismail Hakki (Oktürk) KIA

16th Regt - LtCol Ahmet Hakki Bey KIA 23-8-15

There was these men;

6th Army HQ - ADC to Halil Pasa Capt Ismail Hakki (Okday)

7th Corps HQ - staff officer - LtCol Ismail Hakki

9th Cav Regt - LtCol Ismail Hakki

Milita Sahrica Müfrezesi Gendarmarie - Maj Hakki (in Persia)

10th Corps HQ - Col Hafiz Hakki Bey later commander 3rd Army - Col Hafiz Hakki Bey 1-15 died Typhus 12-2-1915

6th Army HQ - LtCol Ismail Hakki Bey

14th Div - LtCol Ismail Hakki Bey (Vilidecesmeli)

45th Div - LtCol Ismail Hakki Bey

No dought many of these are the same man in places but family names are not known (by me) for most od them.

Cheers

S.B

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 04 Jan 2015, 17:44

There were 45 İsmail Hakkı :) some famili names are knwn

Return to “The end of the Ottoman Empire 1908-1923”