Ottoman Uniform Experts?

Discussions on the final era of the Ottoman Empire, from the Young Turk Revolution of 1908 until the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923.
AliPaige

Ottoman Uniform Experts?

Post by AliPaige » 01 Mar 2014, 18:02

Hi all,
I am researching the military reforms of Mahmud II (r. 1808 - 1839) as part of a project that deals with Imperial portraiture during the mid-nineteenth century. Does anyone know anything about the uniform or medallion in the attached image? The fez leads me to believe it was produced after 1826, but the jacket looks like an earlier version of the later frock coat. Some scholars believe that it was produced posthumously - what do you all think?
Thank you,
Ali

P.S. I realize that this forum is dedicated to the end of the Ottoman Empire, but is the "decentralization" close enough?

The attached image was digitalized by me after: Çağman, Filiz. “Portrait Series of Nakkaş Osman.” In The Sultan’s Portrait: Picturing the House of Osman, edited by Ayșe Orbay, 164 – 187. Istanbul: İşbank, 2000.
Attachments
MahmudII.Shell.Trousers copy.jpg
Mahmud II in uniform: digitalized image from print edition of Çağman, Filiz. “Portrait Series of Nakkaş Osman.” In The Sultan’s Portrait: Picturing the House of Osman, edited by Ayșe Orbay, 164 – 187. Istanbul: İşbank, 2000.

patates

Re: Ottoman Uniform Experts?

Post by patates » 02 Mar 2014, 16:48

Hi,

In the Mahmud II period , uniforms were far from being standardized.Most army units had different uniform styles and colors.Uniforms were standardized prior to 1840s as the fez became more common in the Ottoman army. Uniform he has looks like a privately tailored one.If you look at other Ottoman monarchs , you will see that their garments were all different than the ones for the army use. This situation was only changed in WW1. And i believe that is the case here as well.

AliPaige

Post by AliPaige » 11 Mar 2014, 03:08

Hi patates,
Thank you for your reply. I agree that this jacket is probably exclusive to the Sultan (and possibly to this painting!), which is what makes it so interesting. The embroidery is especially interesting to me. It resembles Napoleonic uniforms, or possibly the floral decorations popularized during Turkish Rococo. Could it be a Venetian import? Does that shine indicate that it is made of silk?

patates

Post by patates » 11 Mar 2014, 20:21

Hi,

I do not think that the garments of the Mahmud II has anything with Venetians becuase I have never heard anything about Turco-Venetian relationship after mid 18th century. It can be French import or it is more likely that jacket is sewn by some foreginer in Istanbul. And speaking of its material , it can be silk or it can be an "artist's touch" for painting the sultan.

Hope this helps

nursi2020

Post by nursi2020 » 24 Jun 2019, 11:38

Hi, where i can get Ottoman uniform in ww1??

Return to “The end of the Ottoman Empire 1908-1923”