Hovik (Havik) or Albert Heuck

Discussions on the final era of the Ottoman Empire, from the Young Turk Revolution of 1908 until the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923.
stevebecker

Hovik (Havik) or Albert Heuck

Post by stevebecker » 29 Jun 2014, 02:30

Mates,

IN our discussion about Selahattin Adil these officers showed up but under three different names.

Are they the same man or different?

Its known that Albay Albert Heuck 13. Tümen komutanı 13. Tümen komutanı was German but is Colonel Hovik (Havik) the same man?

I believed they were but can that be confirmed by our Turkish mates.

Cheers

S.B

Tosun Saral

Re: Hovik (Havik) or Albert Heuck

Post by Tosun Saral » 01 Jul 2014, 22:30

Görgülü writes his mane as:
p.78: 13rd Dv. C. Col Hovik.
p.82 On Sept. 12nd 1915 Artillery Staff Lt. Col. Selahattin Adil took the command.
p.94 Col Havik was made on the same day C of 12nd Div.
p.95: Huyuk
Görgülü gives 3 different names :Hovik, Havik, Huyuk. This might be a typing error. Or the aother fall. It is hard to read the old Turkiish letters. some may read Hovik, some Havik, some Huyuk.

We, old Turks read AND WRİTE Heuck as Hovik, Havik, Huyuk.
He is Col. Albert Heuck :D

stevebecker

Re: Hovik (Havik) or Albert Heuck

Post by stevebecker » 03 Jul 2014, 02:07

Tosun my friend,

Thank you,

This came form my aussie contract via Ed Erickson;

Steve,

He is the same man. Mesut Uyar replied:

There is no doubt about it. He is Albert Heuck. All documents(Ottoman and German) confirming that he was the guy. The problem is related with Arabic script. It is always difficult to write foreign names in Arabic. Foreign names are written according to spelling. So Heuck is written in Arabic “he vav ye kaf”. If you don’t know the original Latin writing you can transliterate it Hevik, Hoyk, Huyk, Heyk etc. However Havik transliteration is far cry.

and Ed:

I don't know of a way to check this. The Ottomans phonetically transliterated European words and names into Ottoman Turkish and then, on the back end (after the mid-1920's), the Turks re-transliterated the Ottoman words and names phonetically back into into modern Turkish. This explains why there is such an incredible variance in the modern spelling of Ottoman names and words.

Somewhere on the axis history web site is a list of Germans who served in the Ottoman Empire in WW1.

My best guess is yes, it's the same fellow.

Cheers

Chris

Cheers

S.B

Return to “The end of the Ottoman Empire 1908-1923”