Attaturk and the Nazis

Discussions on the final era of the Ottoman Empire, from the Young Turk Revolution of 1908 until the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923.
J. Duncan

Attaturk and the Nazis

Post by J. Duncan » 19 Sep 2014, 09:10

Forthcoming book by Stefan Ihrig "Attatürk and the Nazi Imagination" purports to show how the Attatürk revolution in Turkey influenced the thinking and politics of the Nazis just as much as the better known influence of Mussolini's success in Italy.
On the surface, there is much to compare between Attatürk and Hitler (or Mussolini and Attatürk?). See link below:

http://www.amazon.com/Atat%C3%BCrk-Nazi ... 176&sr=1-2

Eagle Flies

Re: Attaturk and the Nazis

Post by Eagle Flies » 05 Oct 2023, 18:51

Pro-pa-gan-da, but it sucks, i don't think people will believe those accusations who except seek these kind of sources. stefan don't even know who are Keitel and Rundstedt. Nothing more than insulting Atatürk and Turkish history.

stevebecker

Post by stevebecker » 06 Oct 2023, 23:09

This type of rubbish can be dreamed up by anyone
You only have to have a few short ideas and say that they come from or infuenced anyone

The line of both men follow different paths, Ataturk had to fight off Armies to gain power in Turkey

I am sure Stef has some nice ideas here, but to say Ataturk influenced Hitler is not only impossible, and "pulling along string"
Adolf was the last person to be influenced by non Germans, since few of his closes Friends and others from the Nazi party, had any expirenced in the Ottoman Empire during the last war there. I dought many knew who Ataturk was, or cared.

You could also say the revoution in the Americas and France in the 1700s also influenced Adolf

Sorry the premis is to far off the mark, its one book I wont be wasting my money on.

I notice this write up, yes I am sure he's right or is he?

"Early in his career, Adolf Hitler took inspiration from Benito Mussolini, his senior colleague in fascism—this fact is widely known. But an equally important role model for Hitler and the Nazis has been almost entirely neglected: Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the founder of modern Turkey. Stefan Ihrig’s compelling presentation of this untold story promises to rewrite our understanding of the roots of Nazi ideology and strategy. (it does?)

Hitler was deeply interested in Turkish affairs after 1919. He not only admired but also sought to imitate Atatürk’s radical construction of a new nation from the ashes of defeat in World War I. Hitler and the Nazis watched closely as Atatürk defied the Western powers to seize government, and they modeled the Munich Putsch to a large degree on Atatürk’s rebellion in Ankara. Hitler later remarked that in the political aftermath of the Great War, Atatürk was his master, he and Mussolini his students.

This was no fading fascination. As the Nazis struggled through the 1920s, Atatürk remained Hitler’s “star in the darkness,” his inspiration for remaking Germany along nationalist, secular, totalitarian, and ethnically exclusive lines. Nor did it escape Hitler’s notice how ruthlessly Turkish governments had dealt with Armenian and Greek minorities, whom influential Nazis directly compared with German Jews. The New Turkey, or at least those aspects of it that the Nazis chose to see, became a model for Hitler’s plans and dreams in the years leading up to the invasion of Poland."

Having read a bit on this war, I never saw or heard any coment by anyone that Adolf had any idea, who or where Turkey was until the war, when he needed a shorter route to the oil.

Eagle Flies

Post by Eagle Flies » 08 Oct 2023, 20:08

Many Historians from US already proved that Hitler on Holocaust; took the Amercian Indian genocide as model, not as which some claimed Armenian "genocide". Cengiz Özakıncı wrote an article about this back in 2018.

Return to “The end of the Ottoman Empire 1908-1923”