Marchbooks

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Kurt12123

Marchbooks

Post by Kurt12123 » 29 Mar 2014, 20:49

[Split from Songbooks]

As a U.S. amateur bandsman, purchaser of printed note music for brass band from Germany and fan of all things German, I've frequently traveled to Germany and Austria always to enjoy the traditional band music scene. Particularly in the south of Germany and most of Austria brass band music is very much alive and a wide variety of styles are performed. And traditional German and Austrian marches remain very popular. There is available - and I think it's been around in some form or another since about 1910 a booklet of marches for band instrumentation called "German Army March Book Number 1." There's also a Book 2, Book 3, etc., and a booklet of Bavarian marches. This music lives on - and for very good reason. Not that it was performed during the Nazi era, but because it is excellent material. With the exception of inherently "Nazi" songs - Horst Wessel Lied for example, you can readily hear this music. And while "the Fuehrer's entry march" The Badenweiler was not played for many years after the war, it is today and I for one can attest to the power of that music to send chills down your back!

jason Macfergus

Re:

Post by jason Macfergus » 24 Feb 2017, 11:02

I'm currently searching for some scores for either a marching band or an orchestra for any marches from the third reich era, along with an orchestral or marching band score for horst wessel lied. Does anyone know where I may find these, it doesn't have to be free, I'm willing to pay for them assuming the cost isn't too high, and it doesn't have to be originals, they can be scans (Preferably without watermarks, it makes it hard to read the score). I'd also rather if the pieces aren't edited or changed from the original ones, or atleast the ones that were mostly used during the third reich period.

Thanks!
"In a man to man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine." -Rommel

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re:

Post by Ivan Ž. » 24 Feb 2017, 11:15

Hello, Jason,

I've temporarily merged your post with an older thread dealing with songbooks, which contain a number of scores. You may browse the previous posts and see if you can find anything of your interest in the provided links.

Also, you may browse the compositions list here, you will find some scores there too http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 57#p888970

Generally, for easier browsing, please try posting score requests for each composition separately.

Cheers,
Ivan

jason Macfergus

Re:

Post by jason Macfergus » 24 Feb 2017, 19:50

Thanks, from what I've seen so far, The scores that have been uploaded here are for the piano, or choir, but I'll keep digging.

Jason
"In a man to man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine." -Rommel

Nicolas7507

Post by Nicolas7507 » 17 Mar 2017, 20:16

Das goldene Marschbuch - Edition Schott - 373+374

10/10
This is in my opinion the biggest and best Piano Sheet Music Book on Classic German Marches.
As you can already see at the index, the variety seems endless. I can only recommend this book to every Third Reich/German Music fan.
20170317_190937.JPG
20170317_190953.JPG
20170317_191003.JPG

Return to “Music of the Reich”