Songs of the Freikorps

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
EinsameWacht

Songs of the Freikorps

Post by EinsameWacht » 09 Jul 2007, 17:56

First of all, as I'm a new user, thanks for the predescending great threads on the Freikorps-topic!

Now to my question: I already know the Freikorps songs of the Deutsche Legion (So zieh'n wir unter fremder Fahne...) and the Brigade Ehrhardt (Kam'rad, reich' mir die Hände...) and i heard there are special songbooks on that topic - does anyone know any other songs of Freikorps units or something about those books?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
EinsameWacht

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 09 Jul 2007, 18:53

Welcome to the forum!

/Marcus

Philipp82

Post by Philipp82 » 09 Mar 2013, 14:33

Hi everyone.

I'm a new member at Axis History Forum and very happy about finding this community. I am dealing with the history of the German Freikors for some time and as my previous speakers I am looking for songs which were sung in the German Freikorps (1918-1930). But the first entry in this thread were made about 6 years ago.

Could anybody help me finding songbooks or other hints about the lyrics from songs?

Best regards!
Philipp

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 16 Apr 2013, 23:10

Freikorps songs posted on the forum:

Topic Baltenkämpferlied (Wir sind die Letzten, die am Feind geblieben...)
Topic Das Lied der Baltikumer (Der eine blieb hier und der andere dort...)
Topic Ein Landsknecht sei ich von Natur
Topic Garde-Landesschützen-Marsch (Das Schwert heraus...)
Topic Ihr Sturmsoldaten jung und alt
Topic Kam'rad, reich' mir die Hände
Topic Lied der Baltischen Landeswehr (Auf einsamen Wegen und Stegen...)
Topic Lied der Deutschen Legion (So zieh'n wir unter fremder Fahne...)
Topic Wir sind das Freikorps der Werdenfelser
Topic Wir tragen am Arme das Wikingerschiff

VonUngern

Post by VonUngern » 19 Oct 2014, 10:03

Hi all,

I've been reading with great interest Ernst Von Salomon's book "The outlaws" (Die Geächteten). He at some points refers to songs, and I would like to hear them, but can't find them. They are "song of the pirates of the sea" and "song of the girls of the Baltic sea". Not sure about the titles - I'm giving here translation to english of the french translation in which I read the book. Could anyone help to find the original german titles? And possibly links to the songs themselves.

Many thanks!

SQ37

Post by SQ37 » 20 Oct 2014, 02:13

VonUngern wrote: "song of the pirates of the sea"
Most probably "Wir lieben die Stürme".

http://www.volksliederarchiv.de/text601.html

[Link updated by the host, Ivan Ž.]

VonUngern

Post by VonUngern » 23 Jan 2015, 10:10

I've just read your answer, many thanks!

I've read in a book about freikorps history about a song, could someone help me to find her?

I know that it was originally a navy song, that Panzerlied took the rythm of this song, that the french Foreign Legion has a version of it, which is actually nearly identical to the little part of text I read in my book. It goes:

"The street belongs to whom (descends/goes) in her
The street belongs to the flag of our (Freikorps)
Around us hatred
Around us the dogmas we knock down..."

In case it might be a usefull info, the FFL version us entitled "Képi blanc" and alternatively "la rue appartient" (white képi / the street belongs).

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 15 Nov 2016, 12:47

SQ37 wrote:
VonUngern wrote: "song of the pirates of the sea"
Most probably "Wir lieben die Stürme".
Hmm... This song is estimated to be from 1930 (earliest known publishing 1933) :?
VonUngern wrote:I've read in a book about freikorps history about a song, could someone help me to find her?

I know that it was originally a navy song, that Panzerlied took the rythm of this song, that the french Foreign Legion has a version of it, which is actually nearly identical to the little part of text I read in my book. It goes:

"The street belongs to whom (descends/goes) in her
The street belongs to the flag of our (Freikorps)
Around us hatred
Around us the dogmas we knock down..."
Do you have the German lyrics and which book is in question? There was a Freikorps tribute song "Es stehet im Osten die eiserne Schar" (Panzerwagenlied), which was sang to that melody and which then inspired the new Panzerwagenlied, "Ob's stürmt..." (see http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=21189). But as far as I was able to find out, it comes from the Third Reich period (meaning it's not a Freikorps song, but a Third Reich tribute to a Freikorps unit); but there are no such lyrics (those you quoted) in "Es stehet im Osten".

Ivan

Sauerkraut

Re:

Post by Sauerkraut » 01 Jan 2018, 22:30

VonUngern wrote:Hi all,

I've been reading with great interest Ernst Von Salomon's book "The outlaws" (Die Geächteten). He at some points refers to songs, and I would like to hear them, but can't find them. They are "song of the pirates of the sea" and "song of the girls of the Baltic sea". Not sure about the titles - I'm giving here translation to english of the french translation in which I read the book. Could anyone help to find the original german titles? And possibly links to the songs themselves.

Many thanks!
The "song of the pirates of the sea" Von Salomon recalls might be in german "Störtebekers Seeräuberlied", since the same author refers to it in another book (Nähe Geschiste).
( https://www.volksliederarchiv.de/hakenk ... stahlhelm/ ) If I got the german text right, it is said to be an early, Ehrhardt brigade version of "Hakenkreuz am Stahlhelm". But there is no reference to the pirate Störtebeker in the text, because the version Salomon writes about is even earlier and had only the first verse in common with the one here.

seth_the_grower

Lieder der Freikorps album

Post by seth_the_grower » 12 Nov 2022, 08:34

Hello, Im new here.

Ive been looking for an album called "Lieder der Freikorps" (at least I think that's what's its called based off the little information I could find on the internet) and Im fairly sure it was recorded during the interwar period

this guy on Yt posted the whole album but many of the videos have since been removed by youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/LohenWolfgrin/vide

also here's the whole album cover I found(I have no idea what the words on it say can anyone who reads German translate it, thanks)
Freikorps.jpg
Freikorps.jpg (86.61 KiB) Viewed 4183 times
any recording/videos of the whole album or links to sites containing the whole thing will be great (or even just a list of all the songs in the album will be very helpful)

cheers!

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: Songs of the Freikorps

Post by Ivan Ž. » 12 Nov 2022, 13:45

Hello and :welcome:

I don't know who recorded those songs but they are all modern, likely amateur, recordings (there's just a couple of vocals with two instruments). The image you posted is no album cover but a low quality black-and-white version of an old propaganda poster (see the original here). Whenever you find music issued under a propaganda poster, know that they're either amateur political propaganda recordings or reproduced by pirates.

Cheers,
Ivan

seth_the_grower

Post by seth_the_grower » 12 Nov 2022, 15:29

Thanks, Ivan
cheers for the information

I did some more searching (shazamed some of the songs which in hindsight i should have done at the start) and 2 supposed artists came up, most of them being Roger E. Maxim and the one was Elbert Hasselman. do you know anything about these 2 people?

Thanks alot!

Fallersleben

Post by Fallersleben » 12 Nov 2022, 17:04

Greetings,

under the title "Lieder der Freikorps" the following 12 files were distributed:

- Zu Ende ist das frohe Wandern
- Wir traben, wir traben ins rote Turnei
- Wenn der Marsch nach Osten geht
- Nach Nordland
- Die Grenzwacht hielt im Osten
- Nach Ostland zu fahren
- So ziehn wir unter fremder Fahne
- Treu bis zur letzten Stunde
- Ritt am Morgen
- Ein Landsknecht bin ich von Natur
- Lasst wehn die schwarze Fahne
- Die Speere empor

These recordings were probably made by national songwriters who have ties to the neo-nazi scene.

In addition, this package included part of the book "Langemarck - Ein Vermächtnis" by Josef Magnus Wehner as an audio book.

F.

seth_the_grower

Post by seth_the_grower » 12 Nov 2022, 19:52

Thank you so much!

I'll just have to track down the one that's not on youtube and download the ones that are so holpefuly they wont be lost forever, might even post it on youtube

Thanks again.

Return to “Music of the Reich”