Der Luftschutz auf der Wacht (Wir dienen unserm Vaterland...)

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Orlik

Der Luftschutz auf der Wacht (Wir dienen unserm Vaterland...)

Post by Orlik » 17 May 2008, 16:24

[Topic renamed by the host, Ivan Ž.]

Many years ago (1970's), I possessed a tape of Songs & Marches of the Third Reich, produced by a small firm in Brighton, England. Included in the selection was an item, either “Luftschutz Marsch" or "Luftschutz Lied", I can't remember which exactly. Does anyone know if this is available anywhere to buy or download?

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 20 May 2008, 11:09

The song is called "Der Luftschutz auf der Wacht", music by Werner Günther, lyrics by Carl Echtermeier. So far only an incomplete recording was released in a digital form (cut from the version made for the "Deutsche Grammophon" company).

Lyrics:
Der Luftschutz auf der Wacht.jpg
Der Luftschutz auf der Wacht.jpg (139.8 KiB) Viewed 926 times
Source: Sturm- und Kampflieder für Front und Heimat

Cheers,
Ivan

Orlik

Post by Orlik » 20 May 2008, 20:46

My sincere thanks to you for this.

Lee

Alarm_Uboat

Re: Der Luftschutz auf der Wacht (Wir dienen unserm Vaterland...)

Post by Alarm_Uboat » 14 Jan 2023, 22:54

There is an audio file of this song on the Internet, but it is not quite with the given text. And besides, the recording quality is not at its best. In the vastness of this forum, I came across this song, but it only had the chorus (good quality).

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 15 Jan 2023, 00:39

The first recording you're referring to is the one I mentioned above: an incomplete copy of the Grammophon recording (the instrumental intro was cut-off). It was released on the LP "Luftwaffe" Vol. 2 by the French SERP company, which always modified these old recordings for some reason, converting them to awful fake stereo sound, chopping parts off etc. Hence the poor quality and shorter duration. But as you can see, apart from the first sentence (which is being repeated in the last verse), the rest of the lyrics match the official version, posted above. The recording was made by Walter Hildebrandt's band in 1935.

Carl Woitschach's band recorded two versions, one for Lindström's Gloria label in 1933 (only the refrain was sung there and a sample of that track is the one you found in our music quiz) and the other for Telefunken, 1934/1935. Band of SS-Standarte 15 made a recording for Electrola, in 1934 (recorded there were the first and last verses, without changes in the lyrics).

Cheers,
Ivan

Alarm_Uboat

Post by Alarm_Uboat » 15 Jan 2023, 11:53

Thanks!

Return to “Music of the Reich”