Adolf Hitlers Lieblingsblume ist das schlichte Edelweiß (Hoch am schroffen...)

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
behemoth

Adolf Hitlers Lieblingsblume ist das schlichte Edelweiß (Hoch am schroffen...)

Post by behemoth » 08 Sep 2006, 05:16

[Topic title completed by the host, Ivan Ž.]

I was just skimming a German doctorate dissertation by one Axel Jockwer of the Universität Konstanz entitled "Unterhaltungsmusik im Dritten Reich." In the text it says the following....
Ebenfalls tauchten hier Paradestücke nationalen Kitsches wie „Adolf Hitlers Lieblingsblume ist das schlichte Edelweiß” oder „Deutschland erwache, ’s ist Frühling am Rhein“ auf. Derartiges aus dem Musikleben zu entfernen machte Sinn, denn nationaler Kitsch war in seiner offenkundigen Lächerlichkeit weitaus gefährlicher als jeder amerikanische Swingstandard.
This text appears to me to indicate that the song „Adolf Hitlers Lieblingsblume ist das schlichte Edelweiß” was considered "kitchy" and dangerous to play along with „Deutschland erwache, ’s ist Frühling am Rhein." Obviously the NS leadership didn't want the people to envision Hitler running through a field of flowers etc.

This brings up two questions:

1. I have heard bits and pieces of the "Lieblingsblume" song referenced above from a documentary I have. Does anyone have the actual song?

2. The "Deutschland erwache.....am Rhein" song is entirely unknown to me. Does anyone have any info on it? Obviously it's not the same as the versions we all know.

I searched the net and found nothing further on either of these songs.

Dave

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 08 Sep 2006, 14:32

behemoth wrote:1. I have heard bits and pieces of the "Lieblingsblume" song referenced above from a documentary I have. Does anyone have the actual song?
I have a copy, the full duration is 2:50
behemoth wrote:2. The "Deutschland erwache.....am Rhein" song is entirely unknown to me. Does anyone have any info on it?
"Frühling am Rhein" (also known as "Deutschland erwache, es ist Frühling am Rhein", stars with the line "Trotzige Burgen, verfallene Mauern...") was composed by Otto Höfer and written by Marianne Fischer-Dyck.

Cheers,
Ivan

behemoth

Post by behemoth » 08 Sep 2006, 17:55

Thanks, Ivan.

Dave

Russland

Post by Russland » 15 May 2007, 06:02

Hello, all. This post is in reference to the song „Adolf Hitlers Lieblingsblume ist das schlichte Edelweiß." I too, am seeking some further information on this song - which I first heard in an A&E documentary several years ago. I would like to find out several things about the original record itself:

1. Disc label - who produced it?
2. What number is stamped on the recording?
3. Who is the vocalist? The orchestra? The composer?
4. What is on the flip side of the original record?

Also, is it possible to obtain a copy of the song itself?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Karl

Post by Karl » 15 May 2007, 06:55

I believe that is a myth, about the flower I mean and that is just a btw...

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 15 May 2007, 10:05

Russland wrote:1. Disc label - who produced it?
2. What number is stamped on the recording?
3. Who is the vocalist? The orchestra? The composer?
4. What is on the flip side of the original record?
1. Gloria (Carl Lindström AG)
2. GO-13050a/ mx. Bi 1671
3. Voc. Harry Steier/ Orch. Otto Dobrindt/ Comp. Otto Rathke/ Lyr. A. Stadthagen
4. Braunau am Inn [mx. Bi 1672/ Comp. Karl Zimmer/ Lyr. Willy Weiß]

Cheers,
Ivan

Russland

Post by Russland » 15 May 2007, 14:37

Ivan,

Vielen Dank! Thank you so much for the information - your knowledge is certainly vast, and I appreciate your help!

Wassermann

Post by Wassermann » 11 Feb 2008, 12:17

behemoth is right for his interpretation of the lines of the dissertation. The lines state that due to is clear ridicule 'national kitch' was more dangerous than american swing and therefore removing it was of vital interest.

Uwe

WTW26

Post by WTW26 » 24 Aug 2008, 12:40

Looking for a full recording of the song Adolf Hitlers Lieblingsblume. The only version I've been able to find online is incomplete and consists of little more than the refrain.

Katie-Karen

Post by Katie-Karen » 02 Oct 2008, 00:52

If you find it, pls let me know! ;)

Return to “Music of the Reich”