Hitler's favourite song [Re: unknown, probably various]

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.

Hitler's favourite song [Re: unknown, probably various]

Postby 197752 » 28 Nov 2008 16:35

My Dad, now dead, was a WWII US Army veteran, one of the first American paratroopers. Anyway, I remember him telling that supposedly Hitler had a favorite song, ironically, a French song, a love song, apparently about unrequited love. Does anyone know if this is correct or if was merely one of the many stories that accompanied Hitler's to all who fought against him.

Johnnyrocket
Financial supporter

Postby Johnnyrocket » 21 Dec 2010 00:46

"Blutrote Rosen" (Blood Red Roses) was Hitler and Eva's favorite song, a little known fact that this is the song they and their Bunker friends listen to just before the entered their quarters to committed suicide.

OK, here is a link to the actual song they played that night. This was basically the last thing they listen too before leaving this earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M35O9mH7oKY

Johnny R.
Last edited by Johnnyrocket on 21 Dec 2010 03:51, edited 1 time in total.

Maikowski

Postby Maikowski » 21 Dec 2010 03:32

To be honest, I find it really hard to say if he ever had a favorite song. Hitler was a music lover. He might well have loved plenty of songs. Also, remember that Hitler was fond of opera. According to his youth friend August Kubizek, he loved Wagner's 'Rienzi' particularly. Besides, I saw a record from the former Berghof's records collection once (it had a small sticker 'Berghof' on it). The title of the song was 'Komm zurück' ('come back'), played by Michael Jary and his Tanzorchester. Cannot remember what was on the other side unfortunately. Now there must have been dozens, maybe hundreds of other records in the Berghof's collection... In any case, I am more willing to think that this kind of music ('Komm zurück') was listened to by Eva Braun rather than by the Führer himself...
Grüsse
Maikowski

Johnnyrocket
Financial supporter

Postby Johnnyrocket » 21 Dec 2010 22:06

I assume Hitler had many favorite songs depending on who knew him in his life's historical time line...here is an interesting quote from Taudl Junge's book: "Until the Final Hour"

"The details of the last days in the bunker are gripping. The five Göbbels children singing rounds in their bedrooms, soldiers sleeping everywhere on the floors, Eva saying that she didn't want to commit suicide with a pistol because "I want to be a beautiful corpse." Hitler ranting to the end that the army had turned traitor, and, during the wedding of Eva and Hitler which took place at the very end, the song played on the Victrola was "Blood-Red Roses Speak of Happiness to You." ... Blood-Red Roses...

Johnny R. :D

Johnnyrocket
Financial supporter

Postby Johnnyrocket » 21 Dec 2010 22:13

A link that subject was "Hitler's Bunker Music" tastes: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=125324
An interesting read...

Johnny R.

SteveFBS

Postby SteveFBS » 24 Dec 2010 17:53

I've read several places that the song used in Der Untergang, "Blutrote Rosen" was actually not the song Eva Braun had in her collection. "Blutrote Rosen" was from the late 20s, and the song actually played over and over in the bunker was "Glutrote Rosen", which was more of a wartime release. You can hear the song on YouTube if you click this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ftSl-5wYdw

Anyone know the truth behind all this?

Merry Christmas to everyone!
-Steven

Johnnyrocket
Financial supporter

Postby Johnnyrocket » 24 Dec 2010 18:14

Thanks Steve, I've heard the same thing too over the years. Glad to listen.

It was the song that had the lyrics "Blood-Red Roses Speak of Happiness to You." Is there a translation in English of the lyrics of the song "Glutrote Rosen" in cyber space anywhere?

What does the german word Glutrote mean in english?

Johnny R.

Fallersleben

Postby Fallersleben » 24 Dec 2010 19:00

Johnnyrocket wrote:What does the german word Glutrote mean in english?

Glut = embers
rot = red

Red like glowing coals.

Johnnyrocket
Financial supporter

Postby Johnnyrocket » 24 Dec 2010 19:06

Thanks Fallersleben...I wish I knew for sure what was the song that played in the Berlin Bunker—at their wedding and before they (AH & EB) committed suicide in 1945.

Johnny R. :D

robertmountfor

Postby robertmountfor » 20 Apr 2012 08:25

Apologies if I have mentioned it before, but the late, great Herbert Doering once told me that he loved to whistle ' whos afraid of the big bad wolf'. Makes sense aswell when you think about it. Other favourites were the 'Donkey serenade, and light operettas including 'Merry Widow'. Some of the words reminded him of his native rural Austrian childhood he said.

Johnnyrocket
Financial supporter

Postby Johnnyrocket » 24 Nov 2013 02:29

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... views.html

HITLER AND EVA BRAUN'S FAVOURITE LOVE SONG
Arthur Kannberg, Hitler's butler, revealed how a song called 'Blood Red Roses' was the favourite of Hitler and Eva, a record they listened to 'over and over.'
He added; 'The boss was always particular about the afternoon tea. The cups and silverware always had to be pristine and he insisted that Eva was present at his holiday home on the Obersalzberg for such occasions.
'Hitler and Eva were very much in love, but perhaps not to the extent that he ever wanted children with her.
'Before the end he gave me gold and silver cigarette cases engraved with his name. When he handed them over he said; 'Look after these until we meet again.''
'He also spoke of a 'secret stash' of treasure of Hitler's which he hid near to his home at Berchtesgaden, but it has never been found.
August Wollenhaupt, the barber of Hitler, was also interviewed and he described a 'genial, soft spoken man' who enquired after his family and who always wanted to know what 'the gossip from the man in the street was.'
• Natural Born American Citizen
• American Patriot
• U.S. Army Vet. 1969-'71—Spc.5 Field Artillery
—Sworn by oath to support and defend the "CONSTITUTION" of the United States against all enemies, "FOREIGN" and "DOMESTIC"!

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Postby Ivan Ž. » 15 Jan 2014 10:04

Several off-topic and double posts have been removed.

The question was what was Hitler's favourite song and not Hitler's & Eva's.

A pair's favourite song is hardly also the individual's (man's / woman's) personal favourite song.

Like any other music lover, Hitler probably had several favourite compositions and his taste in music surely changed over the years.

The fact that someone listened some song with his wife for days, doesn't make it his favourite song.

...not to mention that such a song is most often wife's choice.

So "Blutrote" or "Glutrote Rosen" - such a song can't be considered relevant for the description of Hitler's taste in music.

Cheers,
Ivan

Return to “Music of the Reich”