German songs and the name Marie

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Field Marshal Mung Beans

German songs and the name Marie

Post by Field Marshal Mung Beans » 08 Jul 2011, 02:43

[Topic renamed by the host, Ivan Ž.]

Why do so many of these songs give the girls names ending with "-marie"?

murx

Post by murx » 11 Jul 2011, 01:12

Just guessing: The alphabet has the vowels "a,e,i,o,u", a name ending on "a" is always female ("Maria" the only exception), "o,u" is male. For a rime on 'i" there are not so many choices needing a female name if somebody don't like Bavarian or Austrian short versions of names (Toni,Vroni,Moni for Anton,Veronika,Monika etc.).

ManfredV

Post by ManfredV » 11 Jul 2011, 10:04

Names like Rosemarie, Annemarie, Heidemarie etc. were very common.
So no wonder they often appear in songs.

labwizard

Post by labwizard » 08 Aug 2011, 12:35

It is as ManfredV stated. In the time around WWI, it was very common to baptize girls compound names of the form "...marie".
Especially members of the large group of German Roman Catholics (dominating the Southern parts of Germany) were loving such names since - on one hand - they are derived from "Maria" worshipped by them, and - on the other hand - provide a distinction instead of simply call all of the girls "Maria". The popularity of such names also spread over the Northern regions including the Protestant Prussia.
As a result, these names were very common among the group of marriageable young women in the 1930s when the lyrics for many of the soldier's songs were written.
So the songwriters of that era had to deal with such names being present as a matter of fact - and I am sure they were lucky that these names "automatically" rhyme with "Kompanie", "Landpartie", etc.
When pestilent fairy stories are made state religion,
never trust any statement not provable by pure logic and natural sciences.

Return to “Music of the Reich”