Auf, auf zum Kampf!

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
pachacuti

Auf, auf zum Kampf!

Post by pachacuti » 14 Mar 2012, 18:43

When I found this song, I found out that the song and the lyrics do not match so I searched and found three different lyrics that were really interesting to me... one was related to WWI, another belonged to the german communist party and the third was of the N.S.D.A.P.!

I did'nt found the songs' Mp3 links except that of the N.S.D.A.P; someone help me find them!
Es tönt ein Klang von Ost nach West
wer hören kann, der hört...

Alarm_Uboat

Re: Auf, auf zum Kampf!

Post by Alarm_Uboat » 02 Mar 2023, 23:18

Is there anything known about the number of entries?

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 03 Mar 2023, 10:12

As I understand it, a very old song o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶e̶f̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶m̶i̶n̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶d̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶F̶r̶a̶n̶c̶o̶-̶P̶r̶u̶s̶s̶i̶a̶n̶ ̶w̶a̶r̶. With its powerful tropes and catchy tune, it is no surprise there are dozens of versions in support of every movement under the sun on all sides of the political spectrum! For whatever reason the B̶r̶e̶c̶h̶t̶ version seems to be the most popular nowadays, partly because of this performance:

https://youtu.be/wDazX9meUw8

However the GDR, needless to say, had a big hand in making it well known:
https://youtu.be/HY3Bz1v2Gkc

[Misinformation crossed out by the host, I. Ž.]

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 03 Mar 2023, 13:35

Hello, gebhk

You got it all wrong. It's a soldiers' song from the XIX century, re-popularised by the troops in WWI, then covered by the Communists after WWI, then covered by the Nazis a few years later. The author of the Communist lyrics is unknown, the author of the Nazi lyrics was Adolf Wagner. Both Communist and Nazi versions of lyrics were heavily based on the old text, with only some minor changes done to it. The song was also covered in WWII, by Herms Niel, who wrote new lyrics and composed a march intro for it (his version, however, never really caught on).

Note: The number of recordings the YouTube published on its platform in recent years is no measure of a song's popularity.

Cheers,
Ivan

Alarm_Uboat

Post by Alarm_Uboat » 03 Mar 2023, 15:42

There are various versions sung by the Nazis, in one of them there are three stanzas, and in the other, four and it sounds slower

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 03 Mar 2023, 17:16

Alarm_Uboat wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 23:18
Is there anything known about the number of entries?
Alarm_Uboat wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 15:42
There are various versions sung by the Nazis, in one of them there are three stanzas, and in the other, four and it sounds slower
The first one was made by the Kapelle der SA-Gruppe Berlin-Brandenburg under Johannes Fuhsel, for NS-Schallplatten-Industrie (released under the Hakenkreuz, Viktoria and Brillant-Special labels), and the other by the Kapelle der SA-Standarte II under Rolf Mentzel, for Deutsche Crystalate (label: Hakenkreuz & Eichenlaub). Both tracks were made in 1932 and are the only commercial recordings of the Nazi version of the song known to me (excluding recordings of the song as part of a medley).

Note: If you're searching for a number of some tune's recordings, use the word "recordings" when inquiring instead of "entries". In English, unlike in Russian, the word "entries" refers to parts of a text, while the Russian word "записи" means both "entries" and "recordings".

Cheers,
Ivan

Alarm_Uboat

Post by Alarm_Uboat » 03 Mar 2023, 17:22

Ok! Thanks Ivan!

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 20 Apr 2023, 13:33

... and as for the period recordings of the left-wing version of the song, there are two known tracks, both made in 1928 by the Schalmeikapelle der 15. Abteilung des RFB, Berlin-Oberschöneweide (Kapellmeister: Anton Kopczyk). One was recorded for Artiphon (labels: Artiphon-Record, Versandhaus Arbeiter-Kult) and the other for Clausophon (labels: Schalmei-Record, Audiphon). The composition they recorded is actually a march with the song "Auf, auf zum Kampf!" in trio. Unfortunately (and typically), the composer of the march wasn't credited on the labels.

Cheers,
Ivan

Return to “Music of the Reich”