Schwarzbraun ist die Haselnuß

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Imad

Schwarzbraun ist die Haselnuß

Post by Imad » 03 Jun 2013, 23:24

Hello

Does anyone know which dialect "Schwarzbraun ist die Haselnuß" is sung in or is it just Hochdeutsch?

Thanks in advance

Helmut0815

Post by Helmut0815 » 04 Jun 2013, 20:57

Schwarzbraun ist die Haselnuß is normally sung in Hochdeutsch. There may be dialect versions but I've heard from.

regards

Helmut

nattalitta

Re: CD, LP & MC reviews

Post by nattalitta » 02 Jan 2017, 17:36

[Split from CD, LP & MC reviews]

Dear Ivan Z.,

first of all thank you so much for the very interesting and useful info you share in all these posts. I've been searching for a while and this is the best info compilation of the music of the Third Reich. So, here I am, writing you to ask some help.

I'm working in a fiction film project about II World War and we would like to play the song "Schwarzbraun ist die Haselnuß" and we are concerned about copyright. I've seen that the origin of this song is from XIX century, but is it also the music?
I've read in the credits of "Das Grammophon" (folge 3 - CD3) that the lyrics of this song are anonymus but there is an author: Georg Stahl. Is he the author of the music? Do you know if there is any version of this song that the music is also traditional? We would like to play a recording of this song from the 40's or before.

I'm writing you because I'm in Spain, and it is really difficult to find the credits of the records only through internet. I've written the German National Library and the GEMA Society; but I'm still waiting an answer.

I hope you don't mind I've also written you, but when I read your posts, I thought you could help me.

Thank you so much in advance.

Kind regards,

Natalia López

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re:

Post by Ivan Ž. » 02 Jan 2017, 22:45

Dear Natalia,

Thank you for the kind words, welcome to the forum and Happy New Year!

Georg Stahl did not compose the melody of "Schwarzbraun ist die Haselnuß". He composed a march over the song "Schwarzbraun ist die Haselnuß" and named it after the song [to compose a march over a song means to make a march composition which features an already existing song; usually it means simply adding an instrumental intro to a song].

The composer of the song "Schwarzbraun ist die Haselnuß" is not known, it is a traditional (composed before the Third Reich period, but the exact date or timeframe is not known).

The best Third Reich recording of the song "Schwarzbraun ist die Haselnuß" (that does not include Georg Stahl's march-intro) known to me is a 1934 Grammophon recording conducted by Walter Schütze. I have it on the original record in good quality if needed. The best military version of the song can be heard in a 1938 Telefunken recording, as part of Stahl's march (you can simply cut out the instrumental intro composed by Stahl and use just the part with the folk song). I have that original record too in excellent quality.

Let me know if there's anything else you need.

Cheers,
Ivan

nattalitta

Re: Schwarzbraun ist die Haselnuß

Post by nattalitta » 03 Jan 2017, 17:48

Dear Ivan,

thank you so much for your quick and useful replay. It is nice to know there is someone over there!

I think I've found the 1934 Grammophon recording you are talking about, conducted by Walter Schultze in the German Public Library:
https://portal.dnb.de/opac.htm?method=s ... sition=227

This is the one you are talking about, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRTqjpKshas

It seems it has no copyright. Even the 1934 recording should be in public domain. So I think we could use it. I would like to check it anyway with the authors society in Spain.

I think we couldn't use the one with Georg Stahl arrangements, because I'm not sure about the copyright even if we cut the march intro. But the one of Grammophon should work for us! I'm trying to get in contact with the archives of the German Public Library, but I had no answer yet. If I don't get a reply, can I accept your offer of sending me the track?

Thank you so much for your wonderful help and happy new year too!

Cheers,

Natalia

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 03 Jan 2017, 19:12

Hello again, Natalia
nattalitta wrote:This is the one you are talking about, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRTqjpKshas
Yes, but that one is in horrible quality.
nattalitta wrote:I think we couldn't use the one with Georg Stahl arrangements, because I'm not sure about the copyright
This might be a helpful info for you perhaps: Georg Stahl died in October 1969. His march was published in 1936. The publisher was Rudolf Hack, Göttingen [if he is the same Rudolf Hack as mentioned here, he died in January 1955]. No other copyright claims (except for the Hack, 1936) are known to me.

From Hofmeister's Musikalisch-literarischer Monatsbericht, Oct. 1936:
Stahl.jpg
Stahl.jpg (35.32 KiB) Viewed 2987 times

The march was recorded for the Telefunken company in 1934 * and 1938, and for the Carl Lindström company in 1939 (twice). No other recordings known, after 1939. After WWII, another march over "Schwarzbraun ist die Haselnuß" was composed and recorded instead (in 1950 and 1951; the composer was Wilhelm Gabriel, a.k.a. Wiga-Gabriel).

* It should be checked whether the 1934 recording contains the full march by Stahl or just his arrangement of the folk song (I haven't heard the recording yet, all I know is that he was credited on the record label as the composer).
nattalitta wrote:I'm trying to get in contact with the archives of the German Public Library, but I had no answer yet. If I don't get a reply, can I accept your offer of sending me the track?
You can accept it with or without a reply, just send a PM.

Cheers,
Ivan

nattalitta

Post by nattalitta » 04 Jan 2017, 12:25

Dear Ivan,

thank you so much. You are such an expert and it is really helpful for me. Internet searching doesn't always arrive to the final point of the investigation. But I appreciate to find people that share their knowledge.

I can't use any of the Georg Stahl or Wiga-Gabriel compositions, because their job is not in public domain yet. There are less than 70 years after their deaths.

When you talk about: "The march was recorded for the Telefunken company in 1934 * and 1938 and for the Carl Lindström company in 1939 (twice)." I understand you mean the one with Georg Stahl arrangements, right?

I think that it would be more simple and secure to use the Deutsche Grammophon version. The one conducted by Walter Schultze. I know it would be better the march, but there is no march in public domain. I can't take the risk.

I had an answer of the German Public Library and it is really complicated to get a recording of the Deutsche Grammophon version. I need someone in Berlin to do the request personally and then it would take 20 days to have the recorded track. It would be really easier if you could send me your file, so I take your offer! When you say PM, is my Personal mail? Here it is: [email removed by the host for privacy reasons]
I would also need your personal name, because I would like to mention you on the credits.

Thank you so much again!

Kind regards,

Natalia

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 04 Jan 2017, 12:53

Hello, Natalia
nattalitta wrote:When you talk about: "The march was recorded for the Telefunken company in 1934 * and 1938 and for the Carl Lindström company in 1939 (twice)." I understand you mean the one with Georg Stahl arrangements, right?
Right! :)
nattalitta wrote:When you say PM, is my Personal mail? Here it is: [email removed by the host for privacy reasons]
I meant Private message (here, on forum) :D Nevermind, the file has been sent to the provided email.

Cheers,
Ivan

nattalitta

Post by nattalitta » 05 Jan 2017, 11:48

Oh! Private message! I'm sorry. I'm so old fashioned! ;)

Return to “Music of the Reich”