Blut und Boden: Die Jugend marschiert - Sieg Heil!

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
DerSchellackOffizier

Blut und Boden: Die Jugend marschiert - Sieg Heil!

Post by DerSchellackOffizier » 11 Jan 2011, 13:07

[Split from Jugend marschiert]

[Incorrect lyrics removed / topic renamed by the host, Ivan Ž.]

Erich-SA

Post by Erich-SA » 11 Jan 2011, 16:53

Thanks! I've been looking for those words since the 60s! Did you work out the text via the recording or had you found a printed version?
Vielen Dank!
Erich

Maikowski

Post by Maikowski » 15 Oct 2012, 14:23

Hello everyone,
Hope you are all well.

For those who are interested, the well-known recording of that song is from the Telefunken record A 1630 (Matrix number 19840). It was played by the Blasorchester "Kurmark", sung by the boys of the Mittelschule Berlin-Wilmersdorf and recorded on May 12th 1934 in Berlin. How I wish I had that record in my collection... sigh... From Telefunken-Katalog "Die Ernte" 1939:
Telefunken1939.jpg
Lyrics:
Die Jugend marschiert Sieg Heil.JPG
Source: Nimmer zurück! Vorwärts den Blick!, Gerhard Stalling-Verlag, Oldenburg i. O. / Berlin

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 15 Oct 2012, 20:27

There are two well known recordings of the song. The other one features LSSAH orchestra and was made for Grammophon on 17 January 1934. The choir is the same as in the 12 May 1934 recording.

Ivan

PS
Blasorchester "Kurmark" was simply briefly a Telefunken pseudonym for Blasorchester Carl Woitschach.

Fallersleben

Telefunken A 1630

Post by Fallersleben » 17 Oct 2012, 16:12

The label:
Telefunken-A-1630.jpg
Telefunken-A-1630.jpg (141.84 KiB) Viewed 1501 times

Maikowski

Post by Maikowski » 18 Oct 2012, 02:05

Wow! Lucky you, Fallersleben! I am filled with admiration (and with envy) now... 8O

And thank you for the info, Ivan. I did not know there were 2 different recordings actually and I humbly must say that I am a bit confused now. All the versions that I have heard so far sound very similar (I mean in the way they are performed, not in quality), and now I am just wondering which one is played by whom...
One of the best versions (qualitatively talking) that I know is on the Documentary Series CD "Europäischer Jugendkongress 1942". According to the credits on the back of the CD box, it would have been performed by the "Standartenorchester". I believe the same version is also on the CD "die Jugend marschiert" (from the Documentary Series as well).
I know "Standartenorchester" was a pseudonym used sometimes on Grammophon records for "Musikkorps der LSSAH".
In general I am suspicious regarding the credits on modern records which are too often incorrect. Now could it be that this time they were right and that this version (from the Documentary Series) was really performed by the Musikkorps der LSSAH?

Would it be possible to hear at least samples to help me differentiate one version from the other?

Thanks
Maikowski

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 18 Oct 2012, 09:59

Maikowski wrote:One of the best versions (qualitatively talking) that I know is on the Documentary Series CD "Europäischer Jugendkongress 1942". According to the credits on the back of the CD box, it would have been performed by the "Standartenorchester".
That's indeed the LAH version (it was released on brown label where MK LAH was always credited as Standartenorch.). The main differences between the two recordings are: 1) more hearable and constant cymbal accompaniment in intro of LAH's recording / louder bass drum in Woitschach's 2) choir's singing at the very end (in LAH's recording, "Heil" is in a higher register than "Sieg").

Ivan

Return to “Music of the Reich”