Heia Safari! (Wie oft sind wir geschritten...)

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Cristiano de S.O Campos

Heia Safari! (Wie oft sind wir geschritten...)

Post by Cristiano de S.O Campos » 25 Oct 2005, 17:51

[Several topics dealing with the same song have been merged and renamed by the host, Ivan Ž.]

Hi for all

We all know a famous song Heia Safari.

Is possible to find in MP3?

Cristiano.

Vuk

Post by Vuk » 03 Oct 2006, 03:09

Has this march been recorded?
Last edited by Vuk on 03 Oct 2006, 05:00, edited 1 time in total.

nondescript handle

Post by nondescript handle » 03 Oct 2006, 04:05

There are actually two songs named "Heia Safari!":

"Wie oft sind wir geschritten..." composed in 1921, lyrics by Hans Aschenborn and music by Robert Götz.

"Wohlan durch Wüstensand..." composed in 1941, lyrics by Werner Plücker and music by Martin Schönicke.

Regards and HTH
Mark

[Dates corrected by the host.]

sol

Post by sol » 14 May 2007, 02:28

I've once downloaded one oktoberfest version of the Heia Safari. It is an incomplete version at included about 1/2 of the march. Please let me know if interested.

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 15 May 2007, 01:21

Hi Sol,

Thank you very much for sending it to me... it's great to hear. I have uploaded the file to my webspace so everyone can hear it. It is the first of two marches on the MP3. Right click on this link and choose "Save Target as" http://www.sacktrick.com/igu/germancolo ... Safari.mp3

I'd be curious to find out more about when and where it was recorded. You mentioned to me it said it was recorded at the Oktoberfest. I've had the pleasure of going to the Oktoberfest a few times and the only music I heard was accompanied by loud drunken shoutings from the public (myself included!). This recording sounds quite clean, the singers are very good and well organised. They sing in tune and know the words... that's not how I remember the Oktoberfests sounding. Also the recording sounds quite new, there's no scratches like you usually hear on old vinyl recordings. Perhaps they've been removed with digital technology.

And aren't songs like this "politically incorrect" to record these days if it is a recent recording?

What do our other readers think of it?

Cheers
Chris

sol

Post by sol » 15 May 2007, 04:25

I can't tell you when it was recorded. All I can tell you that here in Caracas Venezuela, the German Embassy promotes oktoberfests for cultural reasons and the background sounds depends on the audience. They bring bands from there. The resemblance with the band I've heard here is remarkable. They played polkas and traditional marches. I think this version is not entirely military. It has its polka touch. I've heard in oktoberfests many polkas and marches amalgamated in one piece. It is not the complete march. It is legal to post fragments of songs or whatever. If it is too long you can always trim it and upload the shortened version.

If not used for profit purposses, like this historical forum, there shouldn't be any problem. I have no intentions to harm this excelent forum.

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 19 May 2007, 01:29

Hi Sol,
I see what you mean about an Oktoberfest style concert, that makes sense to me now, thank you.
Cheers
Chris

Cristiano de S.O Campos

Post by Cristiano de S.O Campos » 19 May 2007, 14:31

Hi

Now, i hear the Song Heia Safari in the link that you put here, cool

Cheers

Cristiano.

sol

Post by sol » 20 May 2007, 01:43

I am really happy to solve the question in this topic. Nice to meet you cristiano.

By the way, I am descendant from one Belgian who claimed to be one of the soldiers who fought against DOA. Somehow it is a small world, One of my botany teachers claim that his ancestors fought in the great war with the ghost army from Von Lettow. That is why I watch close this forum.

For me Heia Safari is a blessing and may solve the riddle of some of my ancestors.

Please let me know if interested, although out of this topic, about the German blockade in Venezuela.

It is always a pleasure,

sol.

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 20 May 2007, 03:31

Hi Sol,

Congratualtions on your descent. Do you now much about your ancestor in the Belgian Force Publique? Do you have any photos of him?

We would all here be interested if you have any additional local knowledge of the Venezuela Bloackade of 1902-03. If you can add anything please add it to this existing section http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=87588

Cheers
Chris

sol

Post by sol » 03 Jun 2007, 04:19

Thanks a lot Chris.

Now this topic looks very well documented.

Cheers,

Sol.

soldat_m56

Post by soldat_m56 » 09 Jul 2007, 19:27

Was there another different version "Heia Safari"? I looked up the song and found a version which has different words and seems to be an Afrikakorps song from WWII. The lyrics and tune are very different than other Heia Safari.

sol

Post by sol » 15 Jul 2007, 20:58

There was another version of Heia Safari. It was sung by Africa Korps men later. Please let me know if you want a mp3 of this version. This version sounds a little bit scratchy and can be found in several sites. I suposse it was recorded from an old Wehrmacht record.

cheers,

Sol

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Post by Dieter Zinke » 23 Oct 2007, 15:20

[Split from "Afrika Korps songs"]

Since my youth I know another "Heia Safari" with a very nice melody
Heia Safari!

1. Wie oft sind wir geschritten
auf schmalem Negerpfad,
wohl durch der Steppen Mitten,
wenn früh der Morgen naht;

wie lauschten wir dem Klange,
dem alten trauten Sange
der Träger und Askari:
Heia, heia, Safari!

2. Steil über Berg und Klüfte
durch tiefe Urwaldnacht,
wo schwül und feucht die Lüfte
und nie die Sonne lacht,

durch Steppengräserwogen
sind wir hindurchgezogen
mit Trägern und Askari:
Heia, heia, Safari!

3. Und saßen wir am Feuer
des Nachts wohl vor dem Zelt,
lag wie in stiller Feier
um uns die nächt'ge Welt;

und über dunkle Hänge
tönt es wie ferne Klänge
von Trägern und Askari:
Heia, heia, Safari!

4. Tret' ich die letzte Reise,
die große Fahrt einst an,
auf, singt mir diese Weise
statt Trauerlieder dann,

daß meinem Jägerohre
dort vor dem Himmelstore,
es kling' wie ein Halali:
Heia, heia, Safari!
Source: Das neue Soldaten-Liederbuch, Band 2

Dieter Zinke

In Treue fest

Post by In Treue fest » 23 Oct 2007, 20:39

Dieter Zinke wrote:Since my youth I know another "Heia Safari" with a very nice melody
Yes indeed, it was written by A. Aschenborn and Robert Götz:
Ein Lied jedoch, entstanden um 1916 für Deutsch-Ostafrika, bewahrte über die Zeiten fort bis heute noch einen beachtlichen Bekanntheitsgrad: der Text von A. Aschenborn in der überaus passend getroffenen Melodie von Robert Götz: „Heia Safari!” Es war weiland auch beim Deutschen Afrikakorps gespielt und von den Nachkriegsjahren ist eine Einspielung vom Heeres-Musikkorps 11 mit Chor unter der Leitung von Major Hans Frieß wohlbekannt.
Source: http://www.traditionsverband.de/downloa ... hmusik.pdf

Return to “Music of the Reich”